iOS4 is online

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
first impression: I've got a new phone!

I installed it on my 3GS, and at first it was a bit slow, but that would be the buffering part I think. Now it's running like my fazer....very smooth and fast.

I like the "places" button in the "photo" menu, where you can see where you have taken a picture, and what picture.

Now you can disable the gyroscope, and prevent the screen from flipping 90° when you put the phone in landscape mode.

And of course, the feature to put apps in a map is very handy.

I think the multitasking part will be better when all new apps are compatibel with the multitasking. I have old apps which don't support multitasking, so I hope they will update the old apps. else I will have to search new similar apps which DO support multitasking...

One last thing:
in iOS4, the gps stays active even when you put the phone in hybernate.
It comes in usefull when I follow some friends down beautiful roads. I just click the Geolives app, and record the road that I am driving, and put the phone in hybernate so save battery. Later on, I can send the .kmz file to my email account, and import it in a gps :thumbup:

iOS4 is a winner

Anybody with other usefull info, tricks, apps, can allways post here :)

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
haven't noticed any diff yet other than my daughter (wallpaper) is now smiling at me in the home screen too lol

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
ugh I can't find my photos anymore... itunes says there's 400MB of photos, but they don't show up on the phone's photo application... pos!!! if only I could see the damn file system on this thing...

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
"Remember that closing apps now doesn’t really close them. A double-tap of the Home button brings up the App bar. To fully close an app, bring up the App bar and press on and hold down on any icon and this makes then wiggle and allows you to fully close an app. "

Pretty cool

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
"Remember that closing apps now doesn’t really close them. A double-tap of the Home button brings up the App bar. To fully close an app, bring up the App bar and press on and hold down on any icon and this makes then wiggle and allows you to fully close an app. "

Pretty cool

here is a nice explanation of how multitasking works on the iphone.
iPhone OS 4 multitasking explained, again | When Will Apple?

What is the fast app switcher dock?

The fast app switcher, or hidden dock, is a new task bar that slides up from the bottom of the screen when you double tap the home button. The new dock doesn’t just list your background state apps, but contains all the apps you’ve opened no matter which state: closed, suspended, or background.

Q: How do you close applications when multitasking?
A: (Scott Forstall) You don’t have to. The user just uses things and doesn’t ever have to worry about it.
A: (Steve Jobs) It’s like we said on the iPad, if you see a stylus, they blew it. In multitasking, if you see a task manager… they blew it. Users shouldn’t ever have to think about it.

How does OS 4 decide when to close apps?

When a new app is opened that requires more memory than is currently available, OS 4 automatically closes suspended apps in least recently used order. The next time you open an app that was closed by the system, it will need to load again just like it does on OS 3.x. You will lose the quick start up, but if the system closed it you probably hadn’t used the app in some time anyway. If even more memory is required, the system starts closing background apps (like Pandora) in the least recently used order.

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Is this the grouping or apps in a folder ?

Indeed, it will get better as more apps are compatible.

The first thing I found out was the auto spell check :)

It's the apps in a folder.
press and hold an app, so it wiggles, and then move one app on top of another to create a folder. Then you can rename the folder, add apps to the folder, delete them,...

The only thing I think is ridiculous, is the 5X digital zoom of the camera.
With only a 3MP camera, this sucks. Bad quality.

Digital zoom has the same effect as zooming in on a picture on your computer. It just zooms in on the pixels.
I rather have a nice and big picture, which I can digitally zoom on the computer, then a messed up zoomed picture taken with the iphone where you can't see the whole picture, but only a bad quality/blurry piece of the big picture.
I hope you understand what I am trying to tell, as my English is not that well. :)

Sadly, a lot of people don't know this... They think 5X zoom is a reason to buy it.
This can be solved with a bigger MP camera, or an optic zoom. The optic zoom would not survive long on the phone, which you put in your pockets every day. So they could install a bigger MP-camera......and they did! The Iphone 4G has a bigger MP-camera, but as taking pictures is not the main reason I bought an iphone, I will not buy the 4G.

Im my eyes, the Iphone 4G is only an updated version of the 3GS. With smaller dimensions, longer battery life, faster processor, more RAM-memory, more slick, more beautiful, better gyroscope, beter camera, better this and that. Maybe I will buy another iphone when apple comes up with something REALLY new and never been seen before.

This little write-up was a brainstorm, excuse me if it's a little but chaotic :)

anyway, I'm happy with iOS4 which runs on my Iphone 3GS:thumbup:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm also holding off on installing iOS4 on my 3GS for a while. I love my jailbroken iPhone too much and too many of the apps haven't been updated to work with iOS4 yet. Maybe once LockInfo is updated, I'll do it, but I'll let the rest of you guys work out the bugs first...lol.

I did see where SBSettings has been updated, so that's a big plus. That and LockInfo are my two favorite apps!

One word of caution, if you didn't already know it. DO NOT upgrade to iTunes 9.2 if you're using Windows and are jailbroken using Spirit. You can do it, but if you have to restore for some reason, you won't be able to jailbreak again because 9.2 upgrades the baseband and you can't downgrade. Hopefully they'll be coming along with a jailbreak for iOS4 soon, and once that happens, I'll upgrade in a heartbeat. But for now, my jailbroken iPhone does everything I want it to do!

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
lockinfo is only for jailbroken iphones? I can't find it in the app store... (I can't jailbrake mine since it's a company phone)

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, David, unfortunately it's only for jailbroken phones. But MAN, is it useful! I don't know how I ever got by without it. The stock iPhone is so boring compared to a jailbroken one.

Here's my lockscreen right now:

f04e37a7.jpg

And here's my Springboard:

bfedf16d.jpg

Last edited:

Bram

Reaction score
www.youtube.com
Sidenote: I think CCHOUSEKY knows this, but there are many people who don't...
If you press and hold the "home" button AND click the "standby" button once, the phone takes a screenshot of the current screen, and stores the picture in the "Photos" folder...:thumbup:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thx guys... Cchouseky, funny to me that a jailbroken iPhone has a lock screen that looks like the win mobile lock screen lol

Oh and I love the folder option in the new OS... Much cleaner home screen now

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, Bram's on the mark. That's how I took those screen shots. I didn't really think it would come in handy, but I've used it quite a few times like I did here, to show something that you would otherwise have to explain. It's also how I found out about Infinidock and Infiniboard that allow you to have as many app icons in the dock as you want (it scrolls side to side) and allows you to scroll both vertically and horizontally on the springboard. Very cool apps!