Introduction with a Conundrum

Cozius

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

I am Costas, 35 year old living in Nicosia, Cyprus (small island in the Eastern Mediterranean) and I would like some advice from experienced members in this forum. I apologise in advance for the long winded post.

I am looking to purchase my first bike whilst having negligible riding experience (the odd spin on a dirt bike and what not). I am looking for a bike that is flexible and somewhat forgiving for weekend drives, I am not looking for a daily commuter. The Island might be small but it offers some decent drives both in the mountains and on the highway that runs East-West along the South of the island.

After budgeting about 1 – 2K Euro for gear (Jacket, Helmet, Boots, Gloves, Back Protector etc) I am not left with much more than 8K Euro for the bike.
I have two friends who have CBR600RR’s (08 and 09) which they swear by. But just sitting on the bike gives me a cramp...the thought of spending the day squatted on top of the bike with a rather uncomfortable wedgie and my chin stuck to the tank is enough to put me off bikes permanently. I don’t really care about the power of the bike but I prefer that it is new with dealer warranty (we have a lot of Shervins on the island) and that it has a full fairing.
I dont have the luxury of a large buy/sell market to switch bikes every couple of years - so she will have to do at least 5 years before she moves on.

Initially I was interested in the series of the XJ-F/FZ6R, ER6F, GSX650F with around 75bhp. Unfortunately in Cyprus these bikes are around 9k Euro which puts them out of my range. Also while investigating the options I found that these bikes lack the advanced features in swing arms, braking system, engine management, suspension etc. (built to a price – but without the price advantage to the local consumer).
At the same time, the 2010 Honda 600 Hornet with honda's combined ABS is 7800 Euro and a Brand new 2009 FZ6S2 also with ABS with full fairing is discounted to 8800 Euro .
Having taken this all into account, I have the tough choice between the two:

Honda CB600 Hornet
Pros:
2010 Model (continuing production)
Combined ABS
More advanced front suspension (upside down forks)
4 year dealer warranty
Better looking (personal)
1000 Euro Cheaper than FZ6

Cons:
No Fairings – small screen option
Slightly more forward position than Yamaha
Higher seating position that gives a slight feeling of sitting on top of bike.

Yamaha
Pros:
Full Faring option
Better seating position (feels as if you are sitting deeper in the bike than Honda)
Handlebars are more upright and more comfortable

Cons:
09 model
2 year Warranty
Bike series end of life
1000 Euro more expensive than the Honda
No combined ABS
No upside down front forks

I would appriciate any advice that you can give.

Coz.

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
The Honda's are meant to be a good bike, but here at least they are far far more expensive than the FZ6's!

From what you have said you would definately be happy with the FZ6, it goes way faster than you would really need if speed limits exist where you live, and once you get into the powerband is pretty nifty. You can however stay much lower in the revs and it will be much more manageable.
Its an awesome all round bike to sum it up.

Probably test ride both and see what you think. Personally I'd recommend starting on a 250 or something similar as they are easier to throw around and great to learn on (in my experience) and you will find while you do have a limit on your top speed they will still do all the legal limits and if you get something good should handle very easily.
Alot of people started on the FZ6 however and have had great success.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there Costas, :welcome: to the forum :thumbup:

I would just like to say what a beautiful and friendly place you come from, I'm presently really enjoying myself in Paphos :thumbup:

I'm pleased to hear you are budgeting for some good gear, as I see loads of guys riding around here in just flip flops and shorts:eek:

There are plenty of guys on here who could tell you how well the Fz6 performs on the local roads but I don't think there would be a problem.

BTW GConn used to have a fz6 and has now turned to the dark side ;) he's from nicosia as well.

I saw a FZ6 down by the harbour a couple of days ago so I reacon there are more guys riding in cyprus. If you search for "cyprus" you'll come across quite a few riders, you could always PM them with any specific questions :thumbup:

any way I'm off to enjoy the rest of my holiday, hope you get the info you're looking for, good luck, the FZ6 is ideal for me :thumbup:

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
My friend, the only guy that can truly answer your question is your as5.

Get him on both bikes and then ask him.

"Dear as5, which of two do you prefer?"

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
Both bikes were on my short list. I found a better deal on an FZ6 so I picked one up. I don't regeret it a second.

Now, I also think the Honda 599 (CB600 - Hornet) is a better looking bike. I was also extreemly comfortable on the Honda. Also, your concernes about the fairing may be unfounded. Many people end up stripping the fairings from their FZ's. Not one has regretted it. I used to own a full fairing 1980 Honda CB750. I stripped the fairing and went naked. I like the bike a lot better after that. Yes, it had a bit more wind but it was smooth and managable. I actually liked the wind more. Too much protection takes you out of the ride.

I like the fairing on my 05 and 06 FZ. I've heard a lot of complaints about the 07-09 fairings causing buffiting. Don't personally know as I have not ridden one.

If they still sold the cb600's here in the states, or had sold enough that they were common on the used bike market, I may have picked one up. You just don't see them here.

hazy

Reaction score
Visit site
I would get the Honda Hornet if i were you.The price of Hornet cost more than Fazer locally.I would had gotten Hornet if not for the price.

Cozius

Reaction score
Visit site
Guys,

Thank you very, very much for the feedback - I have about 3 months in front of me to make the final decision - as I catalogue all the gear and start to order stuff.

Speaking about the gear, since I wear glasses, I was looking for a helmet with an integrated sunscreen. I found one from Schuberth - S1Pro and R1 but at 500 Euro for the Helmet it’s a bit out of my budget. (Sure-fire way to end up the best geared up 50cc scooter rider out there!) I found a Nolan N85 at 250 Euro without the comms package which is what I will most likely go for. Are there any other trusted Helmets brands out there with integrated visors? (Not made in China).

With regards to the fairings, the major reason I want them (besides the looks) is that at speed the wind buffeting is rather bad, at least this is what I am told.

At what speeds does the wind become tiring and difficult to deal with?
Also will a screen from GIVI help? (The 310A is about 35cm/13” tall and give about 22cm / 8” cover over the dials)

The speed limit here is much like the UK - 30mph in urban areas, 50 on B roads and 62 on the highway / Motorway. realistically you cannot travel more than about 60 or 70MPH on B roads and whist you can limit the bike on the motorway, anything above 90MPH and its no longer a speeding fine + points, it becomes a court appearance + large fine plus max points plus possible suspension on the licence. In a nutshell, I will keep under 90 under any conditions!

Cloggy, I hope you enjoy your vacation in Paphos! – please remember, Paphites are not representative of all the natives of the colony, those in Nicosia tend to be a bit more civilised! :D We traded in the flipflops and shorts for jeans and a pair of converse – what do Dainese know about bike gear anyway! :D

Coz

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys,.......

With regards to the fairings, the major reason I want them (besides the looks) is that at speed the wind buffeting is rather bad, at least this is what I am told.

Also will a screen from GIVI help? (The 310A is about 35cm/13” tall and give about 22cm / 8” cover over the dials)

Cloggy, I hope you enjoy your vacation in Paphos! – please remember, Paphites are not representative of all the natives of the colony, those in Nicosia tend to be a bit more civilised! :D We traded in the flipflops and shorts for jeans and a pair of converse – what do Dainese know about bike gear anyway! :D

Coz

Coz, can't you get a deal on a FZ6 Naked (these used to be cheaper than the faired version), I know this might cause buffetting it also helps by cooling you down, the nakeds are especially popular in the warmer climates, for example in Italy, Spain and some places in Australia. Personally I was more concerned with keeping warm in the winter, so I have the fazer.

Pleased to hear that the guys in Nicosia take a safer approach than the Paphites I've seen up till now :thumbup:

cheers

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Guys,

Thank you very, very much for the feedback - I have about 3 months in front of me to make the final decision - as I catalogue all the gear and start to order stuff.

You are welcome :D

I do everything from daily commuting to multi-state rides, I recently went from faired to naked, to my surprise it actually has been more comfortable. With the faired bike most of the wind seemed to catch me about mid visor which led to a sore neck and shoulders and a lot of wind noise.

After going naked (what :eek: it's cold out!) the noise has been reduced greatly and my neck and shoulders no longer get sore, however, you are now taking the full impact of the wind on your entire upper body, this doesn't seem to be much of a problem until you get up to around 80 mph. I do not know how the change will affect rider fatigue as I have not taken a long ride on the bike since going naked.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well here's a Fazer I saw in Nicosia (it was parked on the main street):

View attachment 29831

Only a couple of days and I will be heading home again :(

Hope you find what you're looking for. I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there with advice on helmets with integrated sun visors, they seem quite popular nowadays (I just use sun glasses, but my next helmet will definately have one :thumbup:)

Mutineer

recent addict...
Reaction score
Visit site
My 2007 FZ6S cost me US$4600 in near perfect condition with only 3200 miles on it. Deals are out there if you are willing to look. Just be patient for the bike you want.

-M

Last edited: