Integrated tail light pops fuse

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all,

I'm new here! I just purchased a 2006 Fz6 with 16k on it. It currently has the stock tail light but the previous owner said that the owner before him had a integrated led tail light installed but it would pop the fuse over and over so he removed it.

He gave me the integrated tail light with the bike. I would like to get it installed, but honestly don't know jack about electrical. Is there any threads on this topic or any reason why this would be happening? Forgive me if there is threads on this, I did try searching for them!

Thank you!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If no one has done it..:welcome: to our great forum!

You might try attaching an inline type fuse and some alligator clips so that you can attach the unit to a battery and test each leg of the unit. You should have one ground wire for all the signals. That ground wire will go to the negative side of the battery. So hook the running light line. The brake light line, the left and right turn signal lines at the positive battery terminal See if the unit will function on each test. You will know right away if the internals are shorted or whether it may have been wired wrong. Do you have the color codes so as to wire each function? a 5 amp fuse will be plenty. :)

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
So I hooked up the light today. No popped fuses as previous owner said. However the light doesn't flash when the brakes are applied? It flashes when the bike is started and both signals work fine. Tail light stays on fine too.

This happens with key on or bike running. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So I hooked up the light today. No popped fuses as previous owner said. However the light doesn't flash when the brakes are applied? It flashes when the bike is started and both signals work fine. Tail light stays on fine too.

This happens with key on or bike running. Any suggestions?

Sounds like you have the brake and tail/running light wires reversed. That would be the yellow wire and the blue wire coming from the bike. Swap them! :)

Last edited:

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like you have the brake and tail/running light wires reversed. That would be the yellow wire and the blue wire coming from the bike. Swap them! :)

Well it works fine when the stock light is hooked up. The stock light wouldn't work correctly if it was reversed, correct?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well it works fine when the stock light is hooked up. The stock light wouldn't work correctly if it was reversed, correct?

If you say that the light blinks and then goes steady on as if the brake light were activated when you turn the key on, then I would conclude the signal that is driving the integrated brake light module is the tail/running light signal wire.

There are 2 filaments in the stock OEM tail light so you could also have the stock lamp with the wires reversed. The OEM lamp is not what you are wiring. Your integrated light does not use filament but instead a logic control that used the running/tail light, brake light and L/R turn signals for it's operation.

If the light is damaged it could have faulty logic but swapping the brake light signal for the running/tail light signal will not harm anything and in fact may solve the problem since it sounds like you are activating the brake light function with the running light signal.

If you take a 12v test light you will get voltage with the key on from the blue wire and you will get voltage on the yellow wire when the rear or front brake lever or rear brake lever are depressed.

Black wire is the negative or ground wire. Do not swap the black wire!

Take the yellow wire and put it were the blue wire is attached and take the blue wire and attach it to where the yellow wire is attached. :)

Let me know what happens.

Last edited:

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
So cut into the harness on the bike or the tail light? My integrated tail is all plug and play. I will pop off the side panel and take a few pictures when I get home in a little while.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So cut into the harness on the bike or the tail light? My integrated tail is all plug and play. I will pop off the side panel and take a few pictures when I get home in a little while.

Confirm that your are getting the functions in reverse. In other words you are getting the brake light as soon as you turn the key on. When you put the brake on do you get the brake light? if not there is a reversal of the brake and tail light signal. This could be internally defective in the new tail light assembly or there is a wiring connection reversed.

As I mention previously reverse the brake light (Yellow wire) with the running tail light (Blue.wire) It won't hurt anything because they are both Positive 12 vdc signals. It will just have reverse logic from what you have now. The integrated assembly may have been wired incorrectly or some one changed it. I've never heard of the FZ6 wiring being reversed so I wouldn't change that. I would reverse the wires at the lamp. If it is plug n play and you have the experience, you could just swap the pins on the plug. :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
[MENTION=25290]Dvan5693[/MENTION] Did you get a chance to swap those wires?

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
I honestly have not :( This past weekend ended up being quite busy for me. Hope to get to it tomorrow...sorry guys! All of your help has been awesome so far :D

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
00afea65d071ef1876cd2f4bbce246fd.jpg

Here's the clip for the brake light

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
See the attachment (courtesy of member rivetm) and check to see that the Motodynamics color code matched the oem FZ6 color wires.

The red wire on your Motodynamic light should have 12 vdc on it when you turn the key on. This is the running light/tail signal.
The white wire on your Motodynamic light should have no voltage until you apply the brakes.

If you are seeing the opposite, switch the wires. :)

Last edited:

Dvan5693

Reaction score
Visit site
I just tried messing with it. Switched wires around on the inside of the actual integrated tail lamp and then switched around the wires you said with no luck. And then messed it up LOL

So I'll probably just order the motodynamics one and hope that one works