Insurance

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OK my insurance has risen an average of $75.00 for the last 3 years and I am over 50, no tickets or accidents? :spank: Is anyone else having the same problem? I even pay the whole year at one time. I have been with Progressive for 8 years and you would think would be getting better deal the longer I am with them but no way. My friends wife has been my insurance agent for a super long time (note I don't want to date myself) and she said it is what it is. :confused: INSURANCE IS KILLING MY POCKET BOOK BAD. My company medical insurance has risen a bunch too! Hope I don't get hurt as the deductables are steep these days. Enough of a rant. :D

DeepBlueRider

Reaction score
Visit site
I have similar feeling about progressive. It's hard for me to compare because every year I'm changing something on policy that have impact on premium, but my general feeling is premium goes up every year. But I don't have any clear evidence - only feeling.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Progressive's db and spreadsheets probably said they can safely raise $75 a year without losing too many customers.

Also consider.."It is what it is" = I need my commission for my next vacation. Blah

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
My moto and auto rates have been creeping up, though not as badly as yours. I was just shopping around a bit after being with State Farm for ~6 years. Same stats for me: 50, never had a ticket or accident, no black marks in my credit history or other consumer databases they might use.

I can save a lot on auto with geico and progressive, but state farm still wins by far with the bike. The others get high once you add in comprehensive and collision. You'll have to call an agent to get a state farm moto quote. Not many places do that online.

If your friend is an independent agent, she should be able to shop around for you.

Yeah, it's scary how much we spend on insurance: car, bike, house, medical, life/disability. Has me rethinking some of my early retirement plans as it won't be getting any cheaper. I feel like a cash cow, seeing how little I get back. But that's the insurance game for you.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 39.. my rates have fallen every year for the past 7-8 years.

Here are some things which I know can affect your rate:
marital status,
house ownership,
college education,
credit history,
size / type of motorcycle.

Unfortunately, every company seems to have their own ways of figuring rates out, so there's no clear way to identify it all.

If all of the above stayed constant for the folks hitting 50.. I can only guess that the statistics used by insurance companies are showing higher incident rates as the riders get older :(

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. I've had Progressive for 3 years, I'm 29, good record. My premium has BEEN an average of $75 for those 3 years.

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
. I have been with Progressive for 8 years . :D

That's your problem, right there. I've never had a renewal quote go down, ever. They always increase on renewal cause they know people will just roll over and accept it. For every insurance (house, car, bike, personal) I wait for the renewal quote, then check it on a comparison website, then I'll phone the company back and get them to beat the price of the other company. If they don't, I go to the new company.

To get the best price, you need to check as many comparison sites as you can find, and then all the companies not on them, but I can never be bothered to do that.

Either way, that broker just isn't doing their job at all.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I had the same issue with Geico. When I asked why I was getting raised every cycle by $15-20 they said it was an "increase if business costs". I told them their business costs had cost them my business and dropped them.

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting. I've had Progressive for 3 years, I'm 29, good record. My premium has BEEN an average of $75 for those 3 years.

They quoted me $100 for the legal minimum coverage. But add in increased liability to protect my personal assets, higher uninsured protection, and comprehensive and collision (the bike is still worth ~ $4300) it gets to be over $330.

Anyway, it pays to shop around every few years. I want to be loyal to State Farm, but I'm not sure the sentiment is mutual.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah Geico sucks balls (that's what you get when you're funding those stupid commercials), they're one of the most expensive everytime I check. I usually only look at companies with online instant quotes but I may have to check out State Farm and the others since you guys say they're cheap.

I've been hopping back and forth from Rider and Progressive the past couple years and it never dawned on me to just price match with one...

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Why not shop around? It only takes a few minutes and you might save yourself some loot. If the rates are primarily the same, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing your company is competitively priced for your region/age/driving record etc.

mattwitt

Reaction score
Visit site
I shop homeowners and vehicle every year.. State Farm has been good to us the past 3 years.. So far nobody can beat them based on quotes I have collected.

$143 a month for the following Full Coverage (500 Ded Comp and Collision)

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe
2008 FZ6

Plus we have homeowners through them which is paid yearly from escrow. I am also in rural Missouri..

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
My rates with Progressive have dropped repeatedly since I've been with them. I first went with them in 1999 when State Farm tried to rape me with their "best" rates on the market. I had been with them for over 25 years and they figured they could have their way with me. My current bikes on the Progressive policy are my '07 FZ6 and my '99 Venture touring bike. 100/300/50 year round coverage for $250/year. This includes my son totaling an '03 Kawi in Georgia a few years back. No one else comes close to matching my rates, let alone beating them.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Mark have you checked out the insurance from AARP?

I'm with State Farm. The reason why I have stuck with them so long is because I never heard anyone dissapointed with the payout or the time it takes to receive a payout. But they do not cover gear except your helmet. My gear is worth more than my bike if everything needed to be replaced.

Things to ask:

1. Do they cover all the gear?
2. Provide Medical supplemental insurance for motorcyclist which would be optional if they did.
3. Cover your mods? You have a lot!
4. Offer you a discount if you take a motorcycle safety class?

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
I have more or less the same to report as everyone else here. Just switched from Geico to Progressive because of the "creep" in my premium. One rep at Geico told me that because I have moved into town recently, I was paying more because of the risk of theft-even though I don't have coverage for that. That's when I knew I was going to switch. I will keep switching year after year if I have to. Not sure if that eventually will catch up to me or not, but for now I feel that it's worth my hour or so to make it happen...

rbesr

Reaction score
Visit site
I have more or less the same to report as everyone else here. Just switched from Geico to Progressive because of the "creep" in my premium. One rep at Geico told me that because I have moved into town recently, I was paying more because of the risk of theft-even though I don't have coverage for that. That's when I knew I was going to switch. I will keep switching year after year if I have to. Not sure if that eventually will catch up to me or not, but for now I feel that it's worth my hour or so to make it happen...

Your zip code does figure into the insurance rate with many companies. Even if you just have liability, your rate can be affected. A friend of mine lives less than a mile from me but in a different city. His rates are about 60% higher than mine for similar bikes.

Solarservant

Thrill-Seeker
Reaction score
Visit site
Your zip code does figure into the insurance rate with many companies. Even if you just have liability, your rate can be affected. A friend of mine lives less than a mile from me but in a different city. His rates are about 60% higher than mine for similar bikes.

Another "justifiable" reason to raise rates. I'm still calling BS on all of it.

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips I will be shopping around for sure. I am single and not a home owner. I will also give my insurance gal a call and bitch too. I shouldn't be paying $448.00 a year with a clean record and 7 years with the same insurance company with 30 years with the same agent.

durty3

2004 Yamaha FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
My old bike (1980 Honda CX500) was insured with Progressive for a reasonable cost.

With my purchase of the FZ6, Progressive was outrageous. I moved my bike to Safeco, who also has my car policy.

Much cheaper and I have been happy with their service.