Insurance

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
So I just recently bought my bike so I needed to get insurance. I went to some companies that shall remain nameless and let's just say they wanted half what the bike was worth a year for full coverage. Me being a new rider thought this was how it has to be so I was going to do just liability but I have been burned before by doing this in the past. I was starting to get worried. Until I went to esurance. They gave me an awesome deal. $39.65 a month for full coverage with $100 deductibles! So I guess it pays to shop around. I feel much better now that I have full coverage. :rockon:

agmom98

Navy mom
Reaction score
www.agmom98.com
Good for you for shopping around. It really does pay to do so. I had multiple motorcycles insured over the years with one particular carrier, and thought I was getting really great rates. Then I bought the FZ6. When I called to remove one of the bikes and add this one, they quoted me some ridiculous rate, more than twice what I was paying for my BMW (which cost twice as much new). I asked the agent why so high a premium and her words were, "If the bike model has a letter "z" in it, we consider it a sport bike." Well, that was just ridiculous! I tried to explain that the FZ6 was a "standard" with upright riding position, exactly the same as my BMW. Bottom line is: they lost all of my vehicle insurance. I found another carrier that gives me great rates, multi-vehicle and homeowner discounts.

If you're a relatively new rider, consider taking the MSF ERC (experienced rider course). It should get you a small discount on your premiums (if you're not already getting that discount from a BRC course).

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good for you for shopping around. It really does pay to do so. I had multiple motorcycles insured over the years with one particular carrier, and thought I was getting really great rates. Then I bought the FZ6. When I called to remove one of the bikes and add this one, they quoted me some ridiculous rate, more than twice what I was paying for my BMW (which cost twice as much new). I asked the agent why so high a premium and her words were, \"If the bike model has a letter \"z\" in it, we consider it a sport bike.\" Well, that was just ridiculous! I tried to explain that the FZ6 was a \"standard\" with upright riding position, exactly the same as my BMW. Bottom line is: they lost all of my vehicle insurance. I found another carrier that gives me great rates, multi-vehicle and homeowner discounts.

If you're a relatively new rider, consider taking the MSF ERC (experienced rider course). It should get you a small discount on your premiums (if you're not already getting that discount from a BRC course).

I agree with agmom on taking the MSF class - either basic or experience rider - it will give you a discount. We are with Progressive (should I not have mentioned a name?) and I am only paying $250 for excellent coverage on the FZ6 for a full year. Granted, they also have our auto policies and I think there is a homeowners discount in there somewhere... I am probably a lot older than you as well... ;)

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Yea my insurance company(allstate) also considers teh FZ a sport bike. The rate with them was crazy. I would up going with progressive for my bikes, and will probably switch my autos over as well.

dobbeusaf

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with agmom on taking the MSF class - either basic or experience rider - it will give you a discount. We are with Progressive (should I not have mentioned a name?) and I am only paying $250 for excellent coverage on the FZ6 for a full year. Granted, they also have our auto policies and I think there is a homeowners discount in there somewhere... I am probably a lot older than you as well... ;)

They gave me a discount for taking the basic msf course. Progressive gave me a very good quote as well. I think they wanted like 50 bucks more a month than what I got now. I got sold on esurance when I saw they cover my riding gear and aftermarket accessories. Hopefully I will never have to file a claim!

Yatz86

Chick Magnet
Reaction score
Visit site
mine still categorised under naked bikes. an r6 would have an insurance price of $1.6k per year while mine is $1k

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1 on agmom's advice. MSF is great and I recommend it every few years even for the experienced, just to refresh skills and break bad habits. I've done three now. :D

My wife and I are with Liberty Mutual. The use only the engine size of the bike so my FZ6 is quite a bit cheaper than her V Star 650 even though I'm on a sport bike and she's on a cruiser. I believe this is a state to state regulation though and they have to abide by NH rules to insure bikes.

r_egan

Reaction score
Visit site
You definitely need to shop around as insurance costs can very tremendously. A safe rider course can help save you a little additional $$$.