Instrument Cluster Turns On and Off While Riding

vikingking50

The viking w/ wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished a West Virginia trip and ran into issues with my instrument cluster on an 07 FZ6. The issue I had was while riding the entire display goes off and if I tap it or apply pressure to the LCD portion it goes through it's diagnostic and comes back on. I also had the oil light come, the check engine light, and at one point the tach turned off with the LCD still on and the temp flashed HI. To fix that I had to turn the bike off and back on and it was fine, all other issues went away with tapping the display.

I'm fairly confident that the issue is a loose connection in the display but I was wondering if anybody had experience working in the cluster or had a similar issue? The only mod that has been done to the bike is dual headlight by the previous owner so I will have to look into that wiring as well.

Any input would be appreciated.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished a West Virginia trip and ran into issues with my instrument cluster on an 07 FZ6. The issue I had was while riding the entire display goes off and if I tap it or apply pressure to the LCD portion it goes through it's diagnostic and comes back on. I also had the oil light come, the check engine light, and at one point the tach turned off with the LCD still on and the temp flashed HI. To fix that I had to turn the bike off and back on and it was fine, all other issues went away with tapping the display.

I'm fairly confident that the issue is a loose connection in the display but I was wondering if anybody had experience working in the cluster or had a similar issue? The only mod that has been done to the bike is dual headlight by the previous owner so I will have to look into that wiring as well.

Any input would be appreciated.

I think you are on the right track. Check your plugs.

vikingking50

The viking w/ wheels
Reaction score
Visit site
I took it apart last night and found the wire adapter on the back of the cluster slipped out when I pulled the fairing off. Looks like it wasn't set properly. Put it back together, making sure to set the adapter clip, and so far so good. That went a lot better than expected :rockon: