Instant high rpm, gauge display flashes ON and OFF, engine light

mariusfirst

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bough a 2008 Fz6 and only done a few hundred miles on it, it has about 4500 now.
I was on the highway, and after riding for 10 minutes at about 70mph, I had to slow down for a traffic jam. The engine was kind of hot, and I was doing 20-30 mph. Suddenly the gauge display started flashing ON and OFF, the rpms went up and down (it hit the redline a couple of times), and the clutch was engaging and disengaging. I looked at the engine light and that was flashing too. I pulled over and let it cool down for a few minutes, and then continued riding it home, without any problems.
What could be the problem? Is it because the engine was hot? My feeling is that the engine is always a bit too hot, even if I don't rev it that much. Is that normal for this bike?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!
an 08 has a real temp gauge, what does it display? And you may want to make sure its set to display the coolant temp vs air intake temp. C = Coolant and A = air or ambient or perhaps Apple?? :eek:

I would suggest you hit the search button and do a small bit of reading. Technical, Garage and General would be the target areas. A loose wire at the battery would be my guess but typical temps can be 195 to 205F on 85F days in traffic. Freeway should be less. You have tools and you feel up to using them? Lift the tank and check the wires are the battery. I'm tired so forgive the lack of order here. . . Tell us as much as you know as concisely as possible and people will chime in and support you!

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
lack of oil could possibly cause clutch issues if the plates were sticking together

i'd give the bike a proper service and check the fluids, oil, air filter, etc.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum!

Check the basics first, oil, battery bolt tightness, coolant, etc. If you have a voltmeter, check the battery voltage across the battery terminals while turned off and running...

Many of your symptoms should not be happening all at the same time and is definitly not normal.....

Gauge lights/electrical parts going on and off, indicate an electrical problem(probably loose connection), the clutch and throttle issues, likely not...

Make sure the radiator fan motor blade turns freely, rocks jamb up there and will cause fan failure and result in overheating. To check the fan itself, let the bike idle until around 205F, maybe a little higher, the fan should come on. See if your problem re-appears when hot in a controlled enviroment..

Did you give the bike a good going over once it made it to your garage(checking bolts, tire pressures, oil, filter, etc)?

PLEASE post your results and if you find the problem....

Last edited:

mariusfirst

Reaction score
Visit site
THANK YOU all for replying!!!

In fact, I didn't get the chance to do all the common sense maintenance after I bought the bike. I'll have it serviced (oil change and other fluids) this week and I will let you know if this solved the problem.

The incident was kind of shocking so I thought there is something really bad going on with this bike. I hope that is not the case.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Might want to consult a priest instead of a mechanic. Maybe flush the cooling system with Holy Water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam and Dean to the Rescue!!! SuperNatural, get it on NetFlix:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bough a 2008 Fz6 and only done a few hundred miles on it, it has about 4500 now.
I was on the highway, and after riding for 10 minutes at about 70mph, I had to slow down for a traffic jam. The engine was kind of hot, and I was doing 20-30 mph. Suddenly the gauge display started flashing ON and OFF, the rpms went up and down (it hit the redline a couple of times), and the clutch was engaging and disengaging. I looked at the engine light and that was flashing too. I pulled over and let it cool down for a few minutes, and then continued riding it home, without any problems.
What could be the problem? Is it because the engine was hot? My feeling is that the engine is always a bit too hot, even if I don't rev it that much. Is that normal for this bike?

Maybe I didn't see this in here but was the ENGINE ACTUALLY Revving or was it just the TACK bouncing around.

We are having trouble we this; "and the clutch was engaging and disengaging." and want to know more and are you sure it wasn't just the engine turning off or cutting out? Are there any error codes displayed? Details would help allot!

mariusfirst

Reaction score
Visit site
Problem solved!!! It seems that the battery connections were broken, after replacing them, the bike runs great.
Thanks all for your help!!!