Installing a Power Commander III - How Difficult?

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Well I searched around the many PC threads and couldn't find much info on installing these things.

Can anyone who has a PCIII shed some light on how hard they are to install? Are they plug and play?

Got a decent tax return this year that's burning a hole in my pocket and I figured I'd finally bite the bullet and get one. Looking into a dyno run as well.

Thanks guys!

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
They are plug and play. You raise the tank to gain access to the connectors(2 if I remember correctly). If no one else posts pics before I get home I can search for them.

Last edited:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
They are plug and play. You raise the tank to gain access to the connectors(2 if I remember correctly). If no one else posts pics before I get home I can search for them.

That's what I was hoping to hear! Thank you.

Now to source out a local dyno....

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is a pic of my PCIII. I forgot about the ground wire, but still very easy to install.

491d1187659791-two-brothers-kevin_s_play_115-0124.jpg

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Ahh, ok so it just plugs inline with the stock connectors under the tank. Cool.

Bayside Performance in South Vancouver usually has quite competitive prices on PCIII's...that's where mine came from.
http://www.baysideperformance.ca/in...uct_info&cPath=1285_2076_537&products_id=2928
You can either download your choice of fuel map to the PCIII on the bike or off the bike before you install it. You need a 9v battery to power it up if you want to download a map off the bike; otherwise, you can just use the bike's ignition system to power up the PCIII, but obviously you'll need a laptop unless you can take your bike to your PC. :D
I just changed my map from the Scorpion map to the "standard" FZ6 map as I felt it was running WAY too rich.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait one red minute!!! The KING of mods is asking this question, did I read this right???

15 minutes, tops. Can of corn! Its a simple plug and play. :thumbup:

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
The short answer is "no".
The long answer is "yes" :D
It's not necessary to install a PCIII or the TB JB after installing aftermarket slipons, but it will help to optimize the effect that a "straight through" muffler has on the engine's performance. Generally, the PC or JB will richen up the mixture throughout most of its effective rev range and throttle openings. This will give you a little more 'grunt' at lower to mid-range rpm's (mainly). None of the PCIII's "canned" fuel MAP's enrichen the mixture at idle, so that doesn't change.
To fully optimize a PCIII, you really need to have it set up properly at a shop that has a Dyno and a tech that knows how to set the best MAP for your bike.
If you've got the coin to spend on a PCIII or JB, get one. If not, you (and your bike) will be just as happy without one.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Wait one red minute!!! The KING of mods is asking this question, did I read this right???

15 minutes, tops. Can of corn! Its a simple plug and play. :thumbup:

"King of Mods"....I must say I like the sound of that! Maybe I should go after my own Discovery Channel show! Me and Paul Tuttle Jr. can team up...now that Sr. "fired him".

Just wasn't sure and was hoping it was plug an play (and it is). :cheer:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I have a question. I was looking if I put slip ons on, do you really need a power commander or juice box?

Yes, that topic has been discussed serveral times in the past. Just do a search on "Power Commander" and you'll find the threads. I think there is like 3 or 4 of them.

I've been running TB Carbons for over a year now without a PCIII. I'm probably running a little lean, but my bike still runs and performs great. Now that I have a nice tax refund this year, figured I would finally invest in one.

yamaha rider87

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, that topic has been discussed serveral times in the past. Just do a search on "Power Commander" and you'll find the threads. I think there is like 3 or 4 of them.

I've been running TB Carbons for over a year now without a PCIII. I'm probably running a little lean, but my bike still runs and performs great. Now that I have a nice tax refund this year, figured I would finally invest in one.

Yea I love my power commander just one thing....be careful with the little tabs on the OEM connectors...there are two you need to disconnect and connect with the PCIII connectors and the ones on my bike didn't unlatch the same way so I almost broke the one trying to unplug it like the first one....kind of a basic thing to be telling the newly proclaimed "King of Mods", but I figured I'd throw it out there.