Inline rear brake pressure switch

Protaper48

Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed a set of rizoma rear set:thumbup:, but I was wondering if anyone ever used a pressure switch to activate your brake light instead the conventional spring that tugs on your brake switch.
I was snooping around in a garage and Im not sure if a pressure switch would fit. See to mount this pressure switch you need to remove the banjo bolt on top of your rear master brake cylinder and you replace the banjo bolt with the pressure switch that screws right in to the master brake cylinder. This way when you hit your rear brake pedal leaver the pressure in the line rises therefore activating the switch and light comes on. But the problem I see is that the sub frame gets in a way of the pressure switch. If anybody got any ideas lets hear them:cheer:

cdnSTIG

Reaction score
Visit site
i used a pressure switch on my last bike. it worked good for a while then water would get into the switch and it would drain my battery. the lights would come on very dim when ever i washed my bike or rode in the rain.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, had to install a pressure switch when I put on my Valtermotos. It worked just fine, but I don't remember the diameter. Wolfman turned me onto it, he might recall the diameter you need. My subframe got in the way, but I just stuffed it in, and although it was snug, it did fit in the end. Don't know how it's going to go with your Rizomas though.

Good luck!

Edit: Attached a pic, you can see where the wires on top of the switch are squashed against the frame. It's been like that for 5 or 7k miles with no problems yet.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They work, and they work well! If you are worried about it touching your sub frame, the easy fix is to put a couple of 3-5mm spacers on the rear brake master cylinder mounting point, which effectively puts the switch behind the sub frame....

I did this with the second switch i bought, after i crushed the first one, taking off the sub frame...

The pressure switch off a WR450 fits...

:thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
They work, and they work well! If you are worried about it touching your sub frame, the easy fix is to put a couple of 3-5mm spacers on the rear brake master cylinder mounting point, which effectively puts the switch behind the sub frame....

I tried that but it tweaked the rod from the lever to the master cylinder too much, I was worried about the strain on the master cylinder. Unless you put spacers between the rod and lever too?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried that but it tweaked the rod from the lever to the master cylinder too much, I was worried about the strain on the master cylinder. Unless you put spacers between the rod and lever too?

you just answered your own question, i should of been more thorough in my response....Valtermoto even sell the spacers that fit....in their spare parts catalogue.

:thumbup:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
you just answered your own question, i should of been more thorough in my response....Valtermoto even sell the spacers that fit....in their spare parts catalogue.

Ah, now I see. I bought mine from a forum member, and never dealt with or had access to the spacers from Valtermoto. In fact, when I was installing, I actually called Valtermoto USA for help and was told "we don't support putting any kind of rear brake switch on the rearsets, these are for racing only".

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, now I see. I bought mine from a forum member, and never dealt with or had access to the spacers from Valtermoto. In fact, when I was installing, I actually called Valtermoto USA for help and was told "we don't support putting any kind of rear brake switch on the rearsets, these are for racing only".

Lol! Dont expect support from the people who risk liability from selling "race only" parts to road bike users...they will happily take your money to fit "race only" parts to a street bike, but if you want help...forget it!

Is just like FE's....they will sell them, regardless of "legality"...capitalist pigs! Lol!

:D

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Which switch did you guys use? I searched for one for a WR450 like Wolfman said but the only one I found was this (switch) which looks different from Chemiker's. Think there will be any issue mounting it horizontally instead of vertically?

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks just like mine. A banjo bolt at the top of the m/c gets replaced by the switch. It's hard to see in the original photo, but I've put a red circle around the pressure switch. The wires coming out the top are squashed against the frame, so they're hard to see.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
Ah, now that I look closer it does seem the same. When I first looked at your picture I thought that it had some sort of mini-reservoir on it which didn't make sense to me, but now I see it is just the brass part of the sensor, not brake fluid I see.:BLAA: