Info needed before I take bike in...

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey ya'll...

A few of you have been very helpful in other threads. I want to make sure I'm as informed as possible before taking my bike in this week.

I have a slight shimmy at 35-45. It is occasionally above 50. At the lower speeds...it feels like a gentle left/right wobble at times. (I have had them balanced 3 times in last few weeks...that was another ordeal you can read about in another thread. Last balancing was done by diff shop with high speed balancer.)

Around 25 mph (i am not brave enough to try this at faster speeds) I look thru the front fairing at the wheel...and the tire appears to shimmy left/right but not the rim. Maybe the tire is defective...but rim is straight? Hoping it's the tire, I have a new tire coming from manufacturer.

It didn't shimmy at all before these new tires incidently.

Aside from that...if it's not tire related...what other issues could cause this? Someone mentioned steering head bearings? Anything else? What else should I tell the shop to check?

It's a 2007 with 9000 miles.

Any input is awesome...I appreciate it!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you can see the tire running out that is a major point of concern. The front end could be tweeked. This would require loosening the axle pinch bolts, axle and the forks in the triples. Then re-tightening again.
What kind of tires are they? Of course have head bearings checked for play but you shouldn't see tire runnout!

Shantheman

Reaction score
Visit site
If you can see the tire running out that is a major point of concern. The front end could be tweeked. This would require loosening the axle pinch bolts, axle and the forks in the triples. Then re-tightening again.
What kind of tires are they? Of course have head bearings checked for play but you shouldn't see tire runnout!

Can you explain what you mean by 'front end could be tweaked'?

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Check the front wheel run out with a dial indicator. Front wheel off the ground and kept from turning side to side. If you don't have a dial indicator anything will work to help you get an indication of the amount of run out. Idea is to place something stationary close to the wheel so you can tell if the wheel or tire is wobbling. Would check the tire very carefully to make sure it is not defective. Check to see if it has soft spots or is too warm after you have ridden.

All that said your problem is more likely head bearings or wheel bearings.

fzwreck

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like with 3 rebalancings youve safely ruled out a balance problem and front end "Tweeked", as this would have likely been fixed the second or third time when shop removed the front wheel to balance it. If this happened right after a tire change, sounds like a defective tire to me. You mentioned you had a new one on the way so sounds as if your in agreement. Id try to find one shop that you trust if possible, they shouldn't keep sending you away with a problem that has not been rectified.

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like with 3 rebalancings youve safely ruled out a balance problem and front end "Tweeked", as this would have likely been fixed the second or third time when shop removed the front wheel to balance it. If this happened right after a tire change, sounds like a defective tire to me. You mentioned you had a new one on the way so sounds as if your in agreement. Id try to find one shop that you trust if possible, they shouldn't keep sending you away with a problem that has not been rectified.

If the forks are tweaked in the the triples and the they haven't been released they front end can still be tweaked when the axle is re-tightened.