Indications for Valve clearance

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I did mine at 20,000 miles as it was making a TAP Tap Tap sound at the top of the head. I could hear it on the exhaust side. All exhaust valves were out of spec, 3 loud enough to hear. Truth is i could hear them by 10,000 mi.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When a valve has less clearance or a tight clearance you can end up burning the valve. I would answer you by saying as others have said, unusual behavior of the engine might require checking compression and if the compression is not to spec.a valve or valves might be suspect. If valves are suspect checking and getting valve lash into specification would be in order. Other than than do your valve lash when the service is required by the manual.

The_Paragon

Thats right, Paragon!
Reaction score
Visit site
I did mine at 20,000 miles as it was making a TAP Tap Tap sound at the top of the head. I could hear it on the exhaust side. All exhaust valves were out of spec, 3 loud enough to hear. Truth is i could hear them by 10,000 mi.

I could also hear some tick from mine at about 16,000mi. I did a check and shim swap at 19,500. That hushed the tick. Most of my exh valve clearances were out of spec (wide).