Improving Motorcycle Safety

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Done!

Please invent something that would make us more visible to car & truck drivers. Perhaps something like a bright strobe on the bike headlight or helmet that we could flash as we approach an intersection or a spot where cars are trying to make a left hand turn. This could be thumb actuated next to or part of the high/low beam switch.

Chris

There is, it's called a headlight modulator, the device flashes your headlights on high beam about 250 times a minute, just like you see on most emergency vehicle headlights. Perfectly legal for motorcycles to have, but it does not work when it gets dark, there is a daylight sensor to deactivate it once it reaches a certain darkness, you also have the option of not having it modulate by switching it to your low beams.

As far as the Communication devices used between motorcyclist is different than using your comm device for a phone conversation. Regardless if it's hands free, a phone conversation is a distraction and in my opinion it's just as dangerous as holding your phone to your ear. Unfortunately, it's like driving or riding impaired, most drivers will not take it seriously until something bad happens. The thinking it won't happen to me.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
There is, it's called a headlight modulator, the device flashes your headlights on high beam about 250 times a minute, just like you see on most emergency vehicle headlights. Perfectly legal for motorcycles to have, but it does not work when it gets dark, there is a daylight sensor to deactivate it once it reaches a certain darkness, you also have the option of not having it modulate by switching it to your low beams.

As far as the Communication devices used between motorcyclist is different than using your comm device for a phone conversation. Regardless if it's hands free, a phone conversation is a distraction and in my opinion it's just as dangerous as holding your phone to your ear. Unfortunately, it's like driving or riding impaired, most drivers will not take it seriously until something bad happens. The thinking it won't happen to me.

It is a distraction if you let it be one. If you are diligently watching what is going on around you, and need to take action, just ignore the conversation, until it is safe to do so.

The conversation must always take second place to riding/driving.

Don't get me started about MADD!
This space intentionally left blank.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
That is why I elect not to answer my calls while riding, I take it out of the equation. A phone conversation in any vehicle is a distraction. At least when you have a conversation with a passenger in a vehicle, which is a distraction too, they have the ability to warn a potential hazard to the driver since there is another set of eyes.

Does anyone feel comfortable as a passenger in a car in which the operator is holding a phone conversation, whether it's hand free or not? I usually have a pretty good idea who's on the phone or not by their driving behavior, they are often driving erratically in terms of failing to maintain a constant speed.

I also pay attention to who's occupying the vehicle whenever I can, if I see kids in the vehicle, it's also a warning to me that the driver could get distracted by the kids.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
That is why I elect not to answer my calls while riding, I take it out of the equation. A phone conversation in any vehicle is a distraction. At least when you have a conversation with a passenger in a vehicle, which is a distraction too, they have the ability to warn a potential hazard to the driver since there is another set of eyes.

Does anyone feel comfortable as a passenger in a car in which the operator is holding a phone conversation, whether it's hand free or not? I usually have a pretty good idea who's on the phone or not by their driving behavior, they are often driving erratically in terms of failing to maintain a constant speed.

Depending on who it is, yes. The people I trust exhibit no erratic behavior, while on the phone.

This space intentionally left blank.

starkep

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks again for all the suggestions and big thanks to everyone who took the survey.

Just to clear a few things up, this is just one of a few surveys that I have conducted, this one pertaining more to some of the potential elements of the HUD interface and some tech features that may or may not be in the final iteration. The actual interface will more than likely not contain everything mentioned in the survey, it was to see what people are currently using/would be interested in. This allows me to think about how to design a safer way for people to use the current tech that they do now. Just because I asked about it in the survey does not necessarily mean that it will be implemented or that I am sold on the idea.

I have since decided to forgo the HUD portion of my project and instead focus on improving cars visibility towards motorcyclists. Which was an overwhelming concern amongst riders.

Last edited: