VRSCDX Night Rod® Special
1200cc
12,000 pounds sterling
125bhp

Cool.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice looking. That's a decent lean angle on the XR1200, with plenty of clearance to spare. There's so many pics of HDs trailing a rooster tail of sparks on a minor turn.

I looke the look of Night Rod, but doesn't that look like the most uncomfortable riding position ever? Feet AND arms forward, body folded at the hips. It makes my back sore trying to sit like that for 10 seconds in my office chair.

Shinn

Reaction score
Visit site
XR is really nice until you sit on it. For something supposed to be a flat tracker it weighs as much as a tank. Good design, typical harley otherwise.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IF...and that's a huge IF...i was going to buy a Harley, it would be an XR1200, but i think if i was going to go in that direction, i would much rathe get a Buell, all motor, no fat, decent suspension, actually go round corners!

:thumbup:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The XR1200 looks cool, one of the first Harleys I have liked. It does way a ton, perhaps HD needs to take some lessons from Erik Buell on aluminum frames.:D I would go with a Buell. I love the Ulysses XB12T, light, comfy and cool looking. I can't wait till they start using that 1125 motor in other bikes!!!!

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow I just looked up the XR on HD's website, $11,000 USD!!!?? At that price I would not even consider it, no way would I spend that much on a HD when I could have a Monster for less. Or pretty much any Buell...

HD lists the weight at a doughnut shy of 600 lbs, the bike is not that big, I sat on one at the motorcycle show, it is no longer than the FZ6. Oink Oink.

CravenMoorhead

Reaction score
Visit site
I road an XR1200 today and it was cool. It weighs about 100lb more than my bike but the torque from the V-twin was sweet and the sound was intoxicating. There was significant vibration at idle but the frequency was so slow it was not unplesant. I could see the "charm" in the character if only for a minute at a stoplight. The vibration essentially disappears above 2500 rpm.

It struck me a very odd that the higher I rev'ed the bike the smoother it became, exactly opposite my R particularly above 7K which is about the redline for the HD.

Seat position was slightly more upright than my bike. There was a greater reach to the handlebars which were wider but the same height. My knees were not as bent and the pegs were a bit forward/more underneath me. The seat was similar in width and the same firm/hardness as the R and even a smaller pillion than ouRs.

The five speed transmission was at least as easy to shift as my bike but being able to stay in one gear (third) from 30mph to 70 mph comfortably was refreshing. The brakes in front were awesome almost nosebleed and the R is not slouch in this respect.

The turn in was not a easly as the R but the rear tire is much fatter?200mm The bike was very similar in how it leaned and turned, at least for me.

The switchgear was fine but the clutch was much firmer. The tach. dominates the instrument cluster with a 1/2 the size speedo to the left. Underneat these twin moons was a line of gas, highbeam, blinker etc indicators. The self canceling blinkers was apreciated. There are no gear indicators, fuel guage or temp indicators which was missed. The horn was only slightly less lame than ours.

I found the oil cooler sticking out from the left front of the frame was unfinished and misplaced at best but I am no engineer. The sidepipes are hugh but they had aftermarket slipons that save 12lbs and added 10%more torque and 5% more horsepower at intro.

There is no front fairing, not even an attempt but there is a HD $300 one available a tad smaller than ouRs. I felt no wind buffeting at all but I wear full gear with full helmut and shield. I got to thinking that our token windshield causes more wind trouble that it saves.

Suspension was stiff and ample. 5" travel in back and full 43mm unside down adjustable Showa's in front. (anyone that does not race spend much time dialing these in?) It soaked up small chop well but a few sharp dips jolted me a bit.

The bike lists for $11K which seems about 2K high but buying into the Harley family is worth something to folks. I think a Buell would be a better value, engine and lighter but the riding position is too far forward/sport for me and there are very few tight curving roads in my neck of the woods.

I was impressed enough to start thinking...