I'm thinking of making my own trailer restraint instead of buying one

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
like pitbull's strapless trailer restraints, ive looked into the ststands trailer restraint at ststands.com they make one for the fz6 for $250 but im pretty sure that i could make that w steel square tubing, metal rods, sawzall, a drill, and a welder for less than a $75.

anyone have any ideas on the axle rod holder???

the only downside is that do i trust myself enough that my DIY trailer restraint will hold my bike upright at 60-75mph on a trailer not strapped down lol:confused:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just got my Pitbull (thank you, riderCoach discount! :D .. 15% off is better than nothing!)

Cool idea, Ant. I would think any pipe with external diameter closely matching the internal diameter of the axle should be the staring point. Then maybe safety pins on either side to keep it form coming out?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks very good [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NexNEJOw3DI]Kya Tyre Down Motorcycle Transportation Road Test - YouTube[/ame]

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One more: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a17Tn6rBs-8]Kya Tyre Down - YouTube[/ame]

I may get one of these for the 2nd bike.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Your front tire better be pretty sung in the front stop.

If there's any play between the width of the front wheel and the front wheel holder, the front steering can (and will) turn and thus loosen up that rear hold down, (especially of you hit a big bump at speed).

IMHO, I don't put a bike on a trailer without at least FOUR STRAPS, two for each side. Should one break, you have another as back up.

It could be as simple as a canyon Dancer set on the loose side to a soft tie wrap around the rear of the frame of the bike, tied down forward to the trailer.

I've had a single tie break, and dropped a YZ250 going 50 MPH down the road.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your front tire better be pretty sung in the front stop.

If there's any play between the width of the front wheel and the front wheel holder, the front steering can (and will) turn and thus loosen up that rear hold down, (especially of you hit a big bump at speed).

IMHO, I don't put a bike on a trailer without at least FOUR STRAPS, two for each side. Should one break, you have another as back up.

It could be as simple as a canyon Dancer set on the loose side to a soft tie wrap around the rear of the frame of the bike, tied down forward to the trailer.

I've had a single tie break, and dropped a YZ250 going 50 MPH down the road.

Better safe than sorry, for sure. Have a look at the front wheel chuck sold by same company.. lots of contact with front tire. WebBikeWorld recommends combination of Kya Tyre Down and Bike-Grab chuck: Tyre Down Motorcycle Tie Down Strap - webBikeWorld

Makes sense, but no longer an inexpensive approach.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wholly thread revival!

But, while we're here: do keep in mind; does your restraint system work withe cripples?
Should you bring her home with a flat (or worse) does your restraint system allow for some deviations from the original plan?? If not, bring enough tie downs and add enough different points to connect on the hauler. Keep in mind flat tires can lead to damaged rims if the bike is beating on the rim. Bring a custom wood block to keep the rims bead area off the deck. Cast rims won't take much abuse if they make direct contact under load.

In 88 I designed and built this 3 bike drop axle trailer. Later when ski's came in to the picture, fitted runners for ski's. Combo's 1 - 3 bikes or 1 - 2 stand up skis.
Its been up and down the west coast a couple dozen times with no failures. That includes some cripples being hauled back from desert races in Nevada. :thumbup:
Trailer is looking a bit rough after 20 years outside! :(
SSC_4240.jpg

Even the marine grade decking had rotted and the outer runners for the skis had to be removed.
Notice the long neck. Very stable at ah - higher freeway speeds! :spank: Plus conventional wheel size to match cage so speed rated tires are plentiful!

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
like pitbull's strapless trailer restraints, ive looked into the ststands trailer restraint at ststands.com they make one for the fz6 for $250 but im pretty sure that i could make that w steel square tubing, metal rods, sawzall, a drill, and a welder for less than a $75.

anyone have any ideas on the axle rod holder???

the only downside is that do i trust myself enough that my DIY trailer restraint will hold my bike upright at 60-75mph on a trailer not strapped down lol:confused:

after a few years of trailering bikes I would recommend strapping down front and back even when in some kind of chock. Even when strapped, the back tire on my bike moved around. I guess he wanted to snuggle the hubby's bike. lol. Got new, better, straps to fix this issue.