I'm short

lord1234

Reaction score
Visit site
So i'm 5'8, 185ish lbs, and I can't flatfoot my FZ6. The current spring preload is at a 6, and I'm not sure thats the right number...of course I can load the spring more, and thus lower the bike a bit, but thats not what it's meant for.

2 questions
a) What should my preload setting be based on my height/weight?
b) Can I lower this bike in some way?

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard of people lowering the front end an inch by just moving the forks up in the triple tree clamps but I didn't want to upset the balance. I'm also 5'8" and only 145 lbs so I really can't flat foot on both sides at once unless I have a pillion passenger. It's not been a problem as I'm not stuck in traffic hardly ever.

lord1234

Reaction score
Visit site
I've heard of people lowering the front end an inch by just moving the forks up in the triple tree clamps but I didn't want to upset the balance. I'm also 5'8" and only 145 lbs so I really can't flat foot on both sides at once unless I have a pillion passenger. It's not been a problem as I'm not stuck in traffic hardly ever.

Sadly, this is my daily commuter bike, so I am stuck in traffic...often. Being on my tiptoes sucks.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm close to the exact same size as you. 5'8", low 180s for weight. Not being able to flat-foot it doesn't bother me all that much. For adjusting the preload, hit up youtube and watch Dave Moss' videos on how to set sag.

For me, I'm at position 4 for the rear preload. It put me in the 30-35mm range for sag.

Edit: forgot to mention there are also a few things you can do to the seat to lower your position a bit. Search the forum, a lot of people change up their seats.

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
If you are not riding hard in the twisties but just sitting in commute traffic I would look into putting the preload down to 2-3 and lowering the front forks a bit. If you have the same inseam as I do just 1-2" lower on the seat height and it would be perfect.

lord1234

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are not riding hard in the twisties but just sitting in commute traffic I would look into putting the preload down to 2-3 and lowering the front forks a bit. If you have the same inseam as I do just 1-2" lower on the seat height and it would be perfect.

I do enjoy twisties...perhaps I am going to drop it down to a 4, and see if that helps...

K

kwilkie238

I'm 5'7", 150 lbs. My preload is set at 3, and I just had Sargent lower and narrow my seat. Seemed to work very well. I can ALMOST flatfoot now!! :cheer:

tosh23

Reaction score
Visit site
My wife is 5 foot 4 inch, She has had a cobbler/shoe smith put another sole on the bottom of her boots, It gives her another 15mm

frt96

Reaction score
Visit site
5'7" 175 I used to worry about flat footing but after 3 seasons I just lean the bike a little and flat foot on the left side with my right foot covering the brake. No problems.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Solution- acquired!

byjanega.jpg

On a serious note, I'm almost positive there is a lowering kit out there for the FZ. If I had a Fazer at my disposal I'd see what it would take to machine one for ya, but alas... :(

Softening up the rear might help a little, or adjusting front fork height, but you probably should lower the rear if you did the latter...

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am 5'6" 145 pounds ... I am set at 3 cause thats where my bike was at. I also lean to left and hold my rear brake. I did get a comfort seat that lowered my hiney down a bit but sit on tippy toes with 2 feet down.

You look more badass leaning to one side is what i figure ....

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5 7 and i can't flatfoot as well, but i learned to deal with it because every other bike i will buy after this i won't be able to flatfoot either (the plan is to go bigger, not smaller after this one). Once you're used to it, it shouldn't be a problem.

JoeSTL

Reaction score
Visit site
The way I see it, all the short people can get on the supersports and they fit the bike the way it's supposed to be fit. At 6'3'' I feel huge on those things, though I really do want one sometimes! :D

The FZ6 fits me perfectly though... :p

Tagger

Reaction score
Visit site
The way I see it, all the short people can get on the supersports and they fit the bike the way it's supposed to be fit. At 6'3'' I feel huge on those things, though I really do want one sometimes! :D

But that sucks if you're an adventure guy, more than a racer... :)

BamBam

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'8" and I can flat foot as well. But, I have long legs...and I'm not even sure what my preload is set at factory setting.

strongmaterial

Reaction score
Visit site
Soupy's have a shorter shock end that will lower your bike at the back. You can then lower the front by adjusting the same amount on the tripple trees. BTW, they also make the shorter adjustable side stand.

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site

I feel like a giant when I go from my FZ to my R1....so much more cramped but its stupid fast, so I deal with it :D

im 5' 8" and 120lbs and I can flatfoot no problems.....my rear is at the 3rd setting.... part of it is I have just shy of 18k miles under my belt on the FZ....so with 31k on the clock its well broken in and I am totally used to it...lol

Xdsxc

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm 5'6, 145 - I can touch the grounds up to the balls of my feet. I just lean off to my left and only put one foot down at stops - the other foot keeps the rear brake engaged. Even on uneven pavement, all you have to do is scoot your butt further off the left side and you'll flatfoot it just fine.

Plus just take a look at this guy (he's 5'5):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic]BMW R 1200 GS short rider - YouTube[/ame]

I'd say he has quite a bit more worry about height with his bike than ours haha. Although he seems to have adapted pretty well.