Im in bad situation. please look if you know tires.

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
so i im traveling from minneapolis to northern michigan this weelend. 550 miles each way. im on way back now abput halfway to mineapolis. i noticed 100 miles ago im showing steel down the center of rear tire. i mnew i would need tires soon but it came quickly. if i ride gingerly could i make it on this tire? there are no shops around fpr hours that could chamge this. i ha e called a bunch of places with no luck. i have been riding easy with one of my sidecases heavier than the other. this lets me ride off the center of the tires were i. seeing steel. tires are original. bike has 12k miles. i will check back in hour.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, I've ridden with the steel belt showing in the center for probably over a 1,000 miles. Mainly commute to work, not anything to get underwear in a bunch over. Just ride home with it---you'll be alright. You'd probably be surprised at how much more you can ride on such a tire...just take it easy.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a big nobody on here but just rolled over 40k and my third winter in Seattle. If your seeing steel that's not good on any level, I ran my RP3's down to nothing I had no wear strips left and a big flat mark down the middle. What I learned was that I should have changed them 5k earlier. You might not even make it to the dealer and you are risking a blow out and will have issues possibly with breaking. Your hide but this sounds like a terrible idea man please for your safety don't ride that, especially not that distance your asking. Here is a good reply I got from the net that might make you think about this.

"I once made the mistake of assuming it would be ok to ride on a bad tire for a short trip. Back when i was younger( 18) I was completely naive an had the " Can't happen to me mentality". My ninja 900 had a bald and steel threads showing front tire. I was headed 5 miles to the closest MC shop. i made it two miles up the road before this one tire cost me a trip to the ER. This short trip got me a nearly destroyed bike , mucho road rash. Bad part it was my front tire that blew out and well it was a nice tank slapper that made me "Superman" my body across a 4 lane intersection. I walked away alot smarter in what not to ignore on two wheels. Now i have a routine i follow each an everytime i mount up. I check tires for nails, wear loose bolts ect. Personally i wouldnt have let my tire get to that point now that i have experienced what can happen. Everyone has to make up their own minds whats safe an what isn't.. "

crowelor

Reaction score
Visit site
You probably won't like my answer, but there's no way I would be driving at any speed with steel showing on my tires. The fact that they are original is also a strike because they are years old which changes the performance of the rubber.

If I somehow found myself in your predicament, I would find a hotel and hole up until a friend or family member could bring tires and changing tools to me.

Tire problems while moving have the potential to be catastrophic, resulting in serious injury or death. It's just not worth it.

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, I've ridden with the steel belt showing in the center for probably over a 1,000 miles. Mainly commute to work, not anything to get underwear in a bunch over. Just ride home with it---you'll be alright. You'd probably be surprised at how much more you can ride on such a tire...just take it easy.

NO

:spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even if the tire retains pneumatic(air) integrity the steel belt has no traction to speak of and is dangerous in the event you need the tractive properties of rubber. There is also the question of integrity of the rest of the outer carcass once there has been separation. :)

7UPyours

Reaction score
Visit site
NO riding till tire gets replaced, there is no guarantee that anything will happened if you decide to ride it home but you are risking ALOT.

fastar1

Reaction score
Visit site
Your enemies in a situation like this are weight, heat, and speed. Given that you are riding the freeway in the middle of summer with luggage on the back, you're in a very bas situation.
Having said that, I would try it real slow. Definitely no more than 50 mph. 30 is better (and 0 is best). wait until nightfall when it's cooler. Also, try and take weight off the back as much as possible. Finally, accelerate as if you had an ancient Ming vase plonked on the passenger seat.
Let us know how you make out.

PFD023

Reaction score
Visit site
duct tape

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab3NRut64X8]Duck taping a motorcycle tire . - YouTube[/ame]

Clay350

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok guys thanks for all the responses. I did get home ok. It was a long stressfull day. Ended up being 11 hour trip for 550 miles. When I discovered the tire I was to far in to turn back. Ideally the obvious answer was stop and get a new tire and then continue on.There was very little in the way of motels and places to get it fixed. Northern Michigan and Northern WI is kinda desolate. I also have important day at work tomorrow and I didnt want to call in even if it was legitimate. I decided to just grandma it as far as I could get and hope for the best. I stopped reguraly to check it and surprisingly it hardly changed in the 300 miles I rode on it like that. Ill try to post some pics tomorrow. Im beat right now and just want to watch football with a beer. Thanks for all the responses.

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
When you get the tire changed ask to look at the old tire and poke a knife through to see how thin the tire was that you rode on. Glad you made it, but that was a huge risk no one should even consider.

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site
Ain't nobody on here "a big nobody"! We're glad you are here.
Man, those Ninja Nine's were Baaaaad weren't they? I loved 'em. NO wires showing!
Safe riding.