Ignition switch issues

bgod

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone had any issues with their ignition switch?

My 2005 FZ6 with almost 10k on it just doesn't want to take the key anymore. Not just one but both of my keys. Takes for ever to play with the key to get it to catch and start.

Is this a common issue and has anyone else experienced this?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone had any issues with their ignition switch?

My 2005 FZ6 with almost 10k on it just doesn't want to take the key anymore. Not just one but both of my keys. Takes for ever to play with the key to get it to catch and start.

Is this a common issue and has anyone else experienced this?

A bit of graphite powder will help, and another trick, pull the key towards the tank a bit, as you are turning it....i have this problem on both my FZ6's, and pulling the key towards the tank a bit, as you turn it, seems to fix the issue everytime.

:thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I found a lock anti freeze with lubricant perfect, and I agree with Wolfie that gently pushing the key toward the tank makes it move much more freely.
Here's another link

it gets asked around here quite a lot.

Last edited:

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
WD 40 and wank it a little :p
in case u need a quick fix and you are out of graphite powder

bgod

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I went out to the bike and of course still stuck. So I tried the trick of pulling it towards the tank on both keys and worked like a charm. When pulling it back it actually feels like it should when new. So smooth now.

This is the only remedy I've found to work. I've tried WD-40 and silicone spray in the past and nothing worked. I've even left my bike at work because I couldn't get it to start.

But this tip of pulling the key back is a gift from the gods. And to think I was going to go out and buy a new ignition switch and keys from the dealer, that's how fed up I was.

Thanks again.