Ignition cable

Paradisio

Tries to keep up
Reaction score
Visit site
I am currently removing the ignition from my 06 fz6 because I did a really dumb thing and lost my only key. I have read the other threads about it and know I have to cut the locking bolts off, but my current problem is that the wire going from the ignition to I guess my starter is tucked into my frame. I can't take the seat off so I can only pull the tank up a little bit to trace that wire.
Is there an easy way to quick disconnect that cable without breaking anything since I can't get the seat off?

Thanks

Unfortunatly I am the second owner of this bike and all I have is the title, no key ID. I had two keys but then I moved and the spare was lost somewhere in between my old house and this one.

Do you happen to know what dealership the bike was purchased from, and the name of the party that bought it? I'd bet the key ID can be found from that, with the VIN of the bike...... you'd have to prove to them that you are the legal owner, but it beats the heck out of replacing all the locks.....

There's a good chance a locksmith can create a key for that lock, as well.

Just trying to give you some options other than replacing the ignition and all.

I am currently removing the ignition from my 06 fz6 because I did a really dumb thing and lost my only key. I have read the other threads about it and know I have to cut the locking bolts off, but my current problem is that the wire going from the ignition to I guess my starter is tucked into my frame. I can't take the seat off so I can only pull the tank up a little bit to trace that wire.
Is there an easy way to quick disconnect that cable without breaking anything since I can't get the seat off?

Thanks

You can get the seat off without the key as the mechanism is just above the muffler.

There's a cable that runs from the key hole (left side of bike), several inches to the seat lock mechanism. With my scorps on, I can get to it without removing anything. Its just above where the "Y" pipe (where the single pipe splits in to two for the Scorps. Slide the mechanism arm to the left (as if the cable was pulling it). With the stock muffler, you may have to remove it but that I don't know...

Good luck..

Thanks guys I got the ignition wire out, I just kept pushing up on the gas tank and pushing the seat back a bit; gave me enough room to fit my fingers under the air box and along the frame to unhook the connection. What kind of scares me is that I just took that to a locksmith, he charged me $15 and gave me two keys. So that means anyone can just steal my bike and spend an hour plus $15 to drive it wherever he wants?

Back