If you're debating upgrading from the FZ6 for more power........

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
think about this.

do you remember what it's like to get back on after the winter season? Open it up and hear the engine scream as the tach plunges deep to redline and the speedo accelerates past the century mark? Think about it.

For those that can't or this is their first season with the bike, don't ride it for a couple weeks and then get back on. That smile will come right back. More than enough power and with the ride mods, more than enough handling for the street.

I didn't ride for 3 weeks cause I went away on a trip and then busy with work. Got back on the other day and WOW. Definitely keeping the bike for another season with no doubts in my mind.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience.

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
Yup. I am of the same mind. Sometimes I think about upgrading and then I get out for some riding instead of the commute and I quickly change my mind.

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
This is always my advice to people looking to upgrade because the FZ6 doesn't "have enough power." Right...

I have the luxury of having a motorcycle collector of a father who has several cruisers and a ST1300. I just borrow one of his bikes for a week or so and after 7 days on a cruiser that fusses on the interstate, the FZ6 feels like a lightning bolt again.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
unless u race semi-professionally there is more than enough power. the bike will be faster than us for a long time yet.

but i still want an R1.

my logic is that if the FZ6 makes me go "weeeee" the R1 will make me go "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Daryldaddy

Elite Member
Reaction score
central BC / Canada...on beautifull Quesnel lake
Visit site
To each there own ,different strokes for different folks...I raced Z1's back in the 70's, I've owned over 40 scooters in my lifetime, many of them were highly modified and way over powerd for the street...I'am 64 now , still love to ride whenever I can ,and never lost that feeling for an adrenaline rush...so here I 'am.......very content with a 09 FZ6.....long live the mid. displacement crouch rocket..........maybe you should upgrade what you have ! just my 2 cents :rockon:.....:D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
To each there own ,different strokes for different folks...I raced Z1's back in the 70's, I've owned over 40 scooters in my lifetime, many of them were highly modified and way over powerd for the street...I'am 64 now , still love to ride whenever I can ,and never lost that feeling for an adrenaline rush...so here I 'am.......very content with a 09 FZ6.....long live the mid. displacement crouch rocket..........maybe you should upgrade what you have ! just my 2 cents :rockon:.....:D

AWESOME!!

although, to be honest, your 2 cents.....with their increase in value over the past 64 years are now worth much more in current currency value....

:)

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Like most of us, I wander around looking at the FZ6's "competition" from time to time, thinking that I need more of "something" in a bike.
I always get back home, take a look at my red & black beauty, grin and say to myself..."Ya know what...she ain't so bad".:thumbup:

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't see ever upgrading. This bike is amazing. Really surprises me how it will keep up with the "competition" in the turns even with the stock suspension. Can't wait to see what it'll do when I throw in racetechs and new fork oil this winter. Would like to get a rear hyperpro spring too.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After going on our group ride a few weeks ago, I got to see the capabilities of the FZ6 from the experienced riders in the group. No need to upgrade for me.

DiasDePlaya

Reaction score
Visit site
Usually the slower part in any bike is the rider, I suggest to get riding courses before any upgrade, but a 15 teeth pinion is cheap and a big upgrade!

earthdaddy

Reaction score
Visit site
I've added a +4 sprocket in the rear and had a power commander custom dynotuned. She's got plenty of go, as long as you are in the right gear.

Now, if only I could do something about that ugly 2x4 for a swingarm.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not all upgrades are about "more power" at all. ;) Saying that is stereotyping as well as being a personal opinion.

I've explained my upgrade many times in three forums to those who asked.

But, having the extra power has been a joy, especially when the bike is loaded down with either myself and a pillion or a full set of luggage and I am powering through the hills.

It's personal choice and people upgrade for many more reasons than the simple fact a bike offers more power. Anyone who upgrades for "more power" is either inexperienced or narrow minded IMHO. :D

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I read the same thread on a 250R forum the other day... I bet a great rider on his 250R will be faster in a twisty road compared to most of us on this forum here... that doesn't mean all of us should "downgrade" to a 250R...

Getting the next best thing is just part of human nature... now if you think there's nothing better than the FZ6 out there, well then that's a different story :)

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I read the same thread on a 250R forum the other day... I bet a great rider on his 250R will be faster in a twisty road compared to most of us on this forum here... that doesn't mean all of us should "downgrade" to a 250R...

Getting the next best thing is just part of human nature... now if you think there's nothing better than the FZ6 out there, well then that's a different story :)

Well put David.

To all: I've said the same in those prior explanations about the smaller bikes. I'm far from an accomplished and skilled rider and learn every day and I KNOW there's a ton of people who can out-ride me, be they on bigger or smaller bikes.

Adirondack Jack

Don't call me " Jun ior&a
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sticking with the FZ6. There isn't a ride that gets taken where I don't notice a mistake by moi.... be it corner set-up, gearing, speed :eek:, improper distancing. And the list goes on. So there's never a ride that goes by where I shouldn't be able to improve my game. Any bike can get you in a world of trouble and hurt faster than you can plan your way out. For this old dog the FZ6 is a learning tool that is able to grow with my skills and still wow me in the saddle.
:rockon:

vrsbrazil

Reaction score
twitter.com
think about this.

do you remember what it's like to get back on after the winter season? Open it up and hear the engine scream as the tach plunges deep to redline and the speedo accelerates past the century mark? Think about it.

For those that can't or this is their first season with the bike, don't ride it for a couple weeks and then get back on. That smile will come right back. More than enough power and with the ride mods, more than enough handling for the street.

I didn't ride for 3 weeks cause I went away on a trip and then busy with work. Got back on the other day and WOW. Definitely keeping the bike for another season with no doubts in my mind.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my experience.

That was a great post brother, thanks! :rockon: