Idle question ???

eagle1909

The EAgle
Reaction score
Visit site
Warmed up or cold, my idle jumps like crazy. It will constantly sit there and go back and forth from about 800 or 900 to 1100 or 1200. Its almost like it dies out every other moment.
Is this normal? Any idea on what to check?

I have leo vince pipes, and airbox mod with K&N filter.

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
You might try synching the throttle bodies. There is a great how to thread on it on here somewhere. Just use the search function to find it. It sounds like they might be a little out of whack. There will probably be more people answering you here with some other ideas but this is immediately what I'm thinking. Good luck

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The factory also calls for the idle to be set at approx 1300RPM. The adjuster screw is on on the left (star shaped phillips screw-tucked in).. Adjust it up some, and as posted above, a sync wouldn't hurt.

Also look up how to check the TPS #'s, high# ,low# and IN-between...

You don't mention the mileage. Certain years was a re-call for the TPS (free at Yamaha). Call Yamaha and check on any factory re-calls.

eagle1909

The EAgle
Reaction score
Visit site
I did call about the recall, they said there are none on my bike.

I will try adjusting the idle, but my gut feeling is, it will be the same just at a higher rpm.

I will go do a search on checking the tps.
Anyone have a carbtune in the binghamton area? lol

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
I know it's a bit late in the season, but you're not that far from me...is it on its first tank of gas since coming out of winter storage? Or was it running fine and this just started?

eagle1909

The EAgle
Reaction score
Visit site
It did not start this year. It started at some point last year, mid to late in the year. I never gave much thought to it, but everyone I ride with comments on it. So I would do things like clean the air filter, or put injector cleaner in. Didnt change a thing.

Do you have a carbtune? Rochester isnt too far.

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
Huh...I was going to suggest some Seafoam, but it sounds like you've already tried a cleaner.

Do you have a carbtune? Rochester isnt too far.

No, I'm not quite that far into wrenching on the machine. I should learn more though, save some $ :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some Chevron Techtron or Seafoam wouldn't hurt. Both work well. Run a couple of tankfulls....

If the fuel is old, I'd dump it and get fresh...

A bad TPS will also cause the problems your experiencing.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...ou-experiencing-poor-idle-mileage-stalls.html

Besides checking the upper # and lower #, you need to check the #'s inbetween and make sure all are there and there's no skipping of the #'s..

Last edited:

eagle1909

The EAgle
Reaction score
Visit site
The gas is not old. I have ran several tanks with injector cleaner in it, using 93 octane.

I will definitely check the TPS when I get a chance. Hopefully tonight if things go well.

LunchBox04V

That Subaru Guy
Reaction score
Visit site
There was a thread on this a few days ago. I just installed the Leo's and the cat eliminator pipe. The reduction in back-pressure caused the lumpy idle. Though syncing the throttle bodies and making suretye idle is properly adjusted are go ideas. However, this is normal and ok for the bike with the Leo's.