Identify a connector!

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
This is something I've meant to ask for a long time, but I kept forgetting.

On the wiring on the clutch side of the handlebar I've got an electrical connector that goes nowhere.

The only thing I can think of is somebody was running something like heated grips or a gps on it in the past.

wire1.jpg

wire2.jpg

Any ideas?

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If the wires are black/yellow and black/red then it looks like the wires to the clutch switch.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper, that switch is part of the safety system(with the kick stand switch, etc).

Just be carefull starting in gear as its disabled and will crank in gear with the clutch out...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I hate all that bull**** anyway Scott......just more things that can go wrong!

Agreed but sometime it does help, especially with new riders...

My ex girlfirend, many moons ago, I picked her up a used, Suzuki 650 Savage (single cylinder, air cooled, 4 speed-great starter bike). PO had broke that switch before I bought it. I told her about it and the consequences, and I'd replace the switch if she wanted. She no, it was fine...

Much later, in the Smokie Mountains of Tennessee (on vacation), she didn't park the bike in neutral, steps over the seat, hits the starter... Bike jumps forward, didn't start and falls over to the left. There were no fairings or anything on the bike to damage. Some embarasment, just brush the "dirt" parking lot debris out of the lever and we're on our way. Could have been worse....

Last edited:

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Yepper, that switch is part of the safety system(with the kick stand switch, etc).

Just be carefull starting in gear as its disabled and will crank in gear with the clutch out...

It's actually the opposite, with the switch unplugged, the bike will not start in gear at all. My switch broke about three years ago, just have to make sure I'm in neutral before I start.

If you wanted to, you can short the connector with a wire or paperclip which would allow you to start it in gear, just have to watch out for the clutch.

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
It's actually the opposite, with the switch unplugged, the bike will not start in gear at all. My switch broke about three years ago, just have to make sure I'm in neutral before I start.

If you wanted to, you can short the connector with a wire or paperclip which would allow you to start it in gear, just have to watch out for the clutch.

I think they're all designed as failsafes... if the kickstand switch (or relay) goes, it'll die as soon as you kick it into gear, and if the neutral switch goes you can't start with the kickstand down at all.

I scored a really cheap bike for a friend off a failed kickstand relay. :spank:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

That seems like a health hazard!!! Kill it in traffic, fumble for neutral and risk being ran over??? I'd fix that!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
There is a starter interrupt and cutout switch circuit on the FZ6. This circuit is comprised of 2 relays and a logic circuit. This circuit also interacts with the ECU.

The clutch switch, neutral switch and side stand switch are monitored by this starter interrupt and cutout circuit assembly. If I remember correctly, because a long time ago in a far away galaxy, I used to own the FZ6, if those clutch switch wires are not attached, the bike will not start if it is in gear. You will have to put the bike in neutral to start it. If the switch is hooked up to this circuit and the clutch is pulled in while the bike is in gear, the starter interrupt part of the circuit allows the starter to operate because it sees the clutch pulled in.
If the bike is running and is not in neutral (in gear), and you put the side stand down, the cutout part of the circuit tells the ECU and the ECU shuts down the fuel injection and coils.

So without the clutch safety wires attached, the bike can still start, but it has to be in neutral. If that circuit is compromised the bike can be started while it is in gear and with the clutch engaged which obviously means the starter can launch the bike. :)

PS: I totally agree with FinalImpact and suggest you fix the clutch safety switch so you can quick start in traffic.

Last edited: