I was scammed, cheated, ripped off.....

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a 2006 FZ6 with 40k miles for $1000. I order $250. worth of parts. Kill switch assy, brakes, oil/filter, air filter and more. I found oil drops on my floor. I find the oil over full and blame that. Drained to proper level, still drips. I discover a drain bolt leaking and order a replacement.

Today I discover it has had a chain breakage that busted up the casing and someone has done a pretty good epoxy patch up job, even painted the epoxy to match. So it slowly leaks at the repair.

So what now? It runs really good. Is it scrap metal? Parts? Repair?

Geoff

The Tall Guy!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a 2006 FZ6 with 40k miles for $1000. I order $250. worth of parts. Kill switch assy, brakes, oil/filter, air filter and more. I found oil drops on my floor. I find the oil over full and blame that. Drained to proper level, still drips. I discover a drain bolt leaking and order a replacement.

Today I discover it has had a chain breakage that busted up the casing and someone has done a pretty good epoxy patch up job, even painted the epoxy to match. So it slowly leaks at the repair.

So what now? It runs really good. Is it scrap metal? Parts? Repair?

I don't think you are in bad a position you think you are in. Could you put some kind of seal or use caulk on the bolt temporally till you can get it fixed. Post a picture if you can, might help you out on here.

ShadowChillaGin

Reaction score
Visit site
JB Weld....I have a buddy who did this to his crank case on his FZ1 after deciding it was a dirt bike and getting it air borne...(dont ask) and is driving that thing like nothing happened...;-)....easy repair:yes! effective:yes! Completely Permanent Solution: Time will tell!

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep what he said. Clean it up REAL good and grind off all of the old epoxy or what ever is on there and JB weld it up. I would bet it will last a good long time that way.

Marc

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
You have only $1000 into the bike so you don't have a fortune in it, even with the extra parts you have ordered. Reseal the leak and see how it goes. Some of these things should have been picked up during the inspection process which was your responsibility. There is nothing wrong in getting down on your hands and knees and inspecting the underside of a bike which would have revealed this damage. Personally I don't like used bikes for the simple reason many of them are abused by young squids, but thats beside the point.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
If you weld it, it's one thing. If you reseal it with some sort of epoxy, make sure it's rated high temp!

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think you were ripped off,scammed,or cheated.at the price you bought the bike at and the minor damage you have described I think you got what you paid for.I would replace the engine case myself and make any other repairs the bike needed and still have a good deal.The J.B. weld will work if you do it right. :rockon: :thumbup:

nextfriday

Reaction score
Visit site
post a pic of what your bike looks like. Was it kept clean? Does it look abused? Most miles i've heard of on an fz6. I'm sure most bikes meet the scrap yard before that. You're riding a legend.

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
can we get a couple photos to see how bad the damage is? I would say if it's to bad part it out or find a new motor. If it can get fixed you will have a good cheap form of transport mod the hell out of it and have fun

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
The guy started out at $2600. when I saw the mileage and wear I only offered $1k. I will have to clean off the epoxy to be able to see how bad the damage is and to use jb weld. I knew it was a risk when I bought it.

It has been dropped, the fairings are scratched on both sides, otherwise except for normal wear it's not bad. Tires, chain, sprockets are new. I read a rider had 90k on his FZ6. This bike came from the Beaumont/Orange are so likely alot of highway miles.

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
If you had paid the $2600, you might have been ripped off. At $1000 you got a fair price for what you bought. IF there is a clear title on it.

Get a picture of where the damage to the cases is. Typically, when a chain lets go bad enough to crack the cases, it's going to affect the support of the output shaft bearing from the transmission. Odds are good, that the reason it leaks is because that stress is still moving the remaining metal around. The cracks are continuing, or it's lifting the bondo off the remaining metal.

Best to replace the case...... even a weld is going to be less than a perfect repair, and that would require a tear down to make the weld anyway. Why not just fix it right, and be done with it?

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site
My first bike was 2.3k and the tank was rusted inside which clogged up the carbies and ended up costing a good 800$ to repair.
Got it fixed and sold it back to the same dealership for 3k after 2 years. (which went towards my FZ6!)

The trick is to either get it fixed properly or don't bother, half measures mean you waste money, just make sure the repair isn't rediculous.

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
If the leak isn't to bad:(
Just keep an eye on the oil:eek:
and ride your $1250 bike
and laugh at us that payed much much more:D

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
If it's already epoxyed, I think that it's chancy that re-doing it will make any difference. I re-epoxy'ed an engine block and the second time turned out no better (actually worse). I think it's crummy that previous owner didn't disclose it to you. He/she knew it and did a con job on you. That you paid not much for it doesn't make any difference to me. This was an obvious cover-up by the previous owner--- a scumbag if you ask me.

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
I chipped off some epoxy in the area where is leaking and found a small hole. I was able to fold over some of the casing and stop the leak. I then cleaned the area with a wire brusk and acetone, let it dry and jb welded it. I will let that dry overnite. If it still leaks I will repair it with Devcon Aluminum-filled epoxy putty, it's 80% aluminum and 20% space age epoxy, used by nasa. lol read that from the Devcon web site.

I read one repair on Thumpertalk where a guy repaired a tennis ball size hole in his case with stainless steel mesh and the Devcon and ran it for 10 yrs without issue.

Thanks for the comments. I feel much better about my ability to repair it and add many more miles on the bike.