I tried using ear plugs today on my ride to work

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
The freeway is ridiculously loud, i have only been on it a few times but i thought i would try using ear plugs since everyone recommends them.

Well they did their job lol, the freeway was quiet, basically everything was quiet and im not sure if i liked that or not. It was hard to start from a stop light for some reason, maybe because i couldnt hear the bike very well. The freeway ride was very smooth and pleasant.

I felt disconnected from the bike though. I may have used to strong of an ear plug. I used some purple ones my gf has for sleeping. They come in a giant jar from walmart :BLAA:

Im going to try again with less sound suppression ear plugs.

I use these for Djing in loud clubs or bars.

Amazon.com: Etymotic Research ER20 ETYPlug Hearing Protection Earplugs, Large Clear Stem with White Tip (Clear): Electronics

Etymotic Research ER20 ETYPlug Hearing Protection Earplugs

They are perfect for it because they lower the decibel level without distorting the sound quality.

For me and probably others this type of ear plug would be ideal for riding. EXCEPT its not soft, the hard plastic end could be dangerous??? Thoughts?

I have a pair, but im afraid to wear them in case a helmet collision would cause them to jam into my ear. But there seems to be a good amount of space between my ear and the helmet side.

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not too strong.. just right. Those should be rated at 32dB.
You get used to it after a few rides. Lots of hwy riding and no ear plugs = guaranteed hearing loss (to various degrees).

ticktock

Reaction score
Visit site
I've used earplugs a few times and I just didn't like it. Everything was almost too quiet. Seemed surreal.

I know it can't be good for my ears. I have to get used to it.

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Well im a DJ so i know my hearing is not perfect anymore. But i was trying to be kind to them :cheer:

And thats exactly what it feels like to me, surreal

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I'm a sometimes musician and if and when a gig comes up I have a few pairs of Hearos high fidelity ear plugs that I use. They lower the sound level but let me still hear everyone. I haven't tried them on the highway "mainly because I hate highway driving" but they might be worth a try.

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
You'll get used to it after a few rides. What you can't get used to is NOT wearing them when you are accustomed to them.

I sounds like a freight train is in your helmet.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
It took me a little time to get used to them and when I forget them I know it when I hit 60-70 MPH.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
To me ear plugs are almost as important as wearing a helmet. The hearing protection part is sort of secondary for me, but I really appreciate them because they dramatically reduce fatigue therefore save my energy the ride. I feel more alert and aware in traffic when there isn't a lot a noise around.

With that said, I know what you are saying about "feeling disconnected". I briefly experience the same thing when I switch from aftermarket pipes to stock pipes. This issue will become unnoticeable once you stop listening to the engine & pipes and start feeling the vibrations(revs) directly in your gut. Thats the best way I can describe it.

The torque and the vibrations should tell you all the information you need to know such as when to switch gears or where the friction zone is. Wear them all the time and you will feel "more connected" to your bike. :thumbup:

sixsix

Reaction score
Visit site
Wearing ear plugs while riding is actually illegal in some states, as is wearing head phones.... I used to wear them before I did the naked conversion but after they weren't needed. I don't need them with the gsxr either as I hardly get any buffeting, and I love hearing the intake growl.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Full Throttle

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried using ear plugs on my way back from Bear Mountain. It was great! Bothered my ears a little but much better than being deaf when I'm done with my ride.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I started using ear plugs not to long ago on the bike. It was a little weird at first but it reminded of being in the engine room of the ship I was on at my last unit. We had to wear ear plugs and ear muffs. You basically learned to "listen" with your eyes.:thumbup:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I was skeptica and disliked it at first, but at this point not having them would be very odd and distracting. I used to think I was never going to get used to it but that changed pretty quick.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
You get used to them and then you can hear every sound, just not as loud. Unless of course your hearing is already shot due to DJ'ing and riding without ear plugs.

I value my hearing and sight. I won't even mow the grass without ear plugs...but then again I can hear sounds that my wife, friends and coworkers miss because my hearing is still as good as a 10 year old's

texcollect

Crotchety Old Fart
Reaction score
Visit site
I wear the foam earplugs, but have the odd problem getting them in properly (big hands small ears :)).

I got fitted for a pair of custom earplugs at the audiologist on Monday. I'll let you know how they work when I get them (in about 2 weeks).

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
I wear the foam earplugs, but have the odd problem getting them in properly (big hands small ears :)).

I got fitted for a pair of custom earplugs at the audiologist on Monday. I'll let you know how they work when I get them (in about 2 weeks).

In Maryland it's illegal to wear earplugs unless they are custom made.
Prohibited by law with the exception of: "Custom Made Earplugs" Refer to: Sectioni 21-1120 of the Maryland Code of Laws.

I got a pair for about $100 and it was the best money I ever spent. Easy to put in and take out and very comfortable. I can't even ride a short distance without them now.

Tim

chomorro

Reaction score
Visit site
Im pretty sure my hearing is slowly going because on the ride home i didnt use the ear plugs and it wasnt that bad at all as far as noise. But i was also in stop and go traffic on the freeway LOL

Here is a question:
All you guys using ear plugs, how many of you have exhausts on your bike??

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In Maryland it's illegal to wear earplugs unless they are custom made.
Prohibited by law with the exception of: "Custom Made Earplugs" Refer to: Sectioni 21-1120 of the Maryland Code of Laws.

I got a pair for about $100 and it was the best money I ever spent. Easy to put in and take out and very comfortable. I can't even ride a short distance without them now.

Tim

Tim! Where ya Bin!? LOL? Do you have a name or link to those custom made earplugs?

I think hearing loss has many factors. Genetic disposition, frequencies the ear is exposed to. How long a period of time, and how often as well as decibel level.

I have an aftermarket exhaust but that doesn't seem to bother me at all. It's the wind noise for long periods of time that bother me. I played in rock bands for years and although I may have hearing damage or loss I seem to be okay and hear everything okay. I know that you can suffer hearing loss at specific frequencies and that's why you need to have your hearing properly tested.