I think my fork is set incorrectly

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
I was looking over this thread for issues about steering being not to great, mostly countersteer.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35115-fz6-darty-handling-issues.html

I saw this pictures and decided to take a look at mine. It looks my forks are way too high past the clamp.

I have never adjusted these but do you just remove the top and adjust until they are level like the other post?

I recently came from a pristine ninja 250 and that thing handles the corners way better than my current setup and I am thinking this is more than likely why.

Last edited:

ebster1085

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow..whoever the previous owner was, they really lowered the front end. I have heard that anything more than an 8mm lower will really adversely effect handling.

If I was you I would loosen both triple trees and raise the front end back up flush like it is from the factory. Just make sure the front end is supported so it doesnt come crashing down.

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
don't undo the caps, loosen the bolts on the upper and lower clamps on each side, make sure the front is supported (either with something under the headers or a headstock stand.

usually this is done to increase the turn in angle, and make turning a bit sharper, but it can make it more unstable and lower the clearance

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I will do this tonight and let you know how it goes. I thought something was not right.

Can I just put it on the center stand?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. I will do this tonight and let you know how it goes. I thought something was not right.

Can I just put it on the center stand?

yes but you will still need to put something under the headers to lift the front off the ground (or put some heavy weight on the back)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would also check the rear suspension height because usually when I've seen the front dropped through the forks it's because it was someone lowering the bike. The rear may also have been dropped. If you change the front it will change your turn in so go easy on your first turns to feel the difference. :)

Edit: Coming from the Ninja 250 you are bound to feel a big difference. It was narrower and lighter.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
Do I loosen the smaller allen bolts that are on the side or only the top part? Sorry for being a newb.

Last edited:

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
There should be 2 clamps on each side, and one bolt through each clamp (one hex from memory?)

Also be careful tightening them up, use a torque wrench or be careful not overtighten them.

Last edited:

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I figured it out.

There is a bolt on each side on top and just above the wheel.

I loosened both bolts on one side and it went down about half way to where I wanted it. Then I tightened that up and loosened the other side. Tightened that up and repeated until I got it where I wanted.

This is how it looks now.

I'll test it a little later. It is too hot right now.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You really want to lower BOTH forks at the same time or at least very small amounts if you have the wheel on the bike.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site

I think it helped some as far as the throttle goes. I will ride more tomorrow and report back. One thing I notice about this bike compared to the ninja is clutch requires a lot more force to switch up to the next gear.

As far as the steering goes it is WAY better. I am extremely happy with the results.

The K&N filter didn't fit very well. It finally did but it felt a little too huge for the box but I managed to get it on there.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it helped some as far as the throttle goes. I will ride more tomorrow and report back. One thing I notice about this bike compared to the ninja is clutch requires a lot more force to switch up to the next gear.

As far as the steering goes it is WAY better. I am extremely happy with the results.

The K&N filter didn't fit very well. It finally did but it felt a little too huge for the box but I managed to get it on there.

Lube the cable! It'll be night and day. . . . Just did mine tonight and although FIRM, it pulls/returns butter smooth! Also it snaps back 100% from any position with the engine off.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Lube the cable! It'll be night and day. . . . Just did mine tonight and although FIRM, it pulls/returns butter smooth! Also it snaps back 100% from any position with the engine off.

Ditto! I had noticed my shifts getting a little sloppy. Just lubed the cable as well and it made a huge improvement! Yep, I would say butter smooth!

One other thing related to dropping the forks. This is something that a lot of racers will play with to get the bike to turn in quicker. I think it was sort of mentioned earlier in this thread but worth mentioning again. Anyone using their FZ6 for track days play with this? You can also increase ride height on the rear aftermarket shock or play with pre-load on the stock shock to achieve somewhat similar results. And, just to reiterate, you may sacrifice a little ground clearance.

ghostdog

Reaction score
Visit site
Ditto! I had noticed my shifts getting a little sloppy. Just lubed the cable as well and it made a huge improvement! Yep, I would say butter smooth!

One other thing related to dropping the forks. This is something that a lot of racers will play with to get the bike to turn in quicker. I think it was sort of mentioned earlier in this thread but worth mentioning again. Anyone using their FZ6 for track days play with this? You can also increase ride height on the rear aftermarket shock or play with pre-load on the stock shock to achieve somewhat similar results. And, just to reiterate, you may sacrifice a little ground clearance.

Did you use a cable luber or just start spraying down the cable? I am thinking I need to invest in one.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Did you use a cable luber or just start spraying down the cable? I am thinking I need to invest in one.

Their cheap enough and usually work very well. Just did my clutch cable this am..

BTW, should you lube the clutch cable, oils tends to exit the cable at the lowest point, below and back a little from the TB's. Place a piece of paper towel to catch any oil that comes out or you'll have a new oil leak you can't find... (Don't ask)