I think i will conduct a test.

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I was reading a thread this morning....

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/1498-gear-ratios.html

This got me thinking about something. I have the 15tooth front and the 48tooth rear sprockets on my bike. I know the RPMs are a little higher but i wonder if they are as high as havblue said. I am not questioning your knowledge....i will just have nothing to do after work today...:D

He said the RPMs are 400 or so off at speed. I am assuming that is 65mph. Also that the odometer is off. I know they both are off by some degree and i know we have asked these questions before about gear ratios and fuel milage. <(run on sentence)

What i will do is set my trip meter to 0.00 when i leave work. I will actually be starting from the parking lot entrance since some of you know i work at a car dealership and when we close at 3 they close the gates out front. I will get the mileage from my work to my house. I will also see what my RPMs are at 65mph. I have a friend i work with who will travel next to me in his civic to let me know when im at 65. Once i get home i will put the original sprockets back on and make the trip again. I will be sure to start from the same spot again so i get the same distance. Then i will record the same info i did the first time to see the difference.

I wont be able to post anyhting up till tomorrow or monday but i will let you guys know what i find out.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I love experiments! Will be interesting to see your results. I agree with CanadianFZ6 though, if you're going to the trouble you might want to measure your actual distance and speed more accurately. But the info you get from this experiment will be interesting to see either way.

H

HavBlue

Make it easy on yourself and ride down the street in 4th gear at any speed you wish. With the stock gearing 16/46 the tach will read pretty much heads up 100 times the speed (40mph = 4,000rpm). The GPS will work but you could also use a road with the mile markers installed for distance. If you match to your friends Honda car be sure he is using the stock tires and wheels as the aftermarket tire and wheel could make the car off if they are smaller or bigger.

F

formula154

I am eagerly awaiting the results of your test and I am glad that you have enough energy to switch out the gears in order to find out. The lazy people salute you. I can't find it now but some company that sells the up grade from 16/46 to 15/48 said that there was only a 6% change in speedo and odomotor reading. Someone on another post said they had a 15% change. I am fixing to change my front sprocket so I would like to know the results that you get. As far as the GPS is concerned, doesn't a GPS just tell you the distance point B is from point A? Example if you rode on a round track with a diamater of 1 mile which was 3.14 miles around the track wouldn't the GPS say that you travled 1 mile from point A even though you actually rode 3.14 miles because you stoped 1 mile from the starting point? It doesn't measure miles of elevation either does it?

I was reading a thread this morning....

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-technical/1498-gear-ratios.html

This got me thinking about something. I have the 15tooth front and the 48tooth rear sprockets on my bike. I know the RPMs are a little higher but i wonder if they are as high as havblue said. I am not questioning your knowledge....i will just have nothing to do after work today...:D

He said the RPMs are 400 or so off at speed. I am assuming that is 65mph. Also that the odometer is off. I know they both are off by some degree and i know we have asked these questions before about gear ratios and fuel milage. <(run on sentence)

What i will do is set my trip meter to 0.00 when i leave work. I will actually be starting from the parking lot entrance since some of you know i work at a car dealership and when we close at 3 they close the gates out front. I will get the mileage from my work to my house. I will also see what my RPMs are at 65mph. I have a friend i work with who will travel next to me in his civic to let me know when im at 65. Once i get home i will put the original sprockets back on and make the trip again. I will be sure to start from the same spot again so i get the same distance. Then i will record the same info i did the first time to see the difference.

I wont be able to post anyhting up till tomorrow or monday but i will let you guys know what i find out.

H

HavBlue

As far as the GPS is concerned, doesn't a GPS just tell you the distance point B is from point A? Example if you rode on a round track with a diameter of 1 mile which was 3.14 miles around the track wouldn't the GPS say that you traveled 1 mile from point A even though you actually rode 3.14 miles because you stopped 1 mile from the starting point? It doesn't measure miles of elevation either does it?

That depends on the quality of the GPS unit and the number of points it established going from point A to point B. If it established 100 way points going from one place to the other the distance it came up with could be very close. If it only took 2 or 3 points along the way that accuracy drops. Civilian GPS units, good as they are, are for crap when compared to that of a surveyor whose unit will measure within a very few centimeters. Altitude is the one that is most often inaccurate as it is ellipsoidal.

mdr

Reaction score
Visit site
As far as the GPS is concerned, doesn't a GPS just tell you the distance point B is from point A? Example if you rode on a round track with a diamater of 1 mile which was 3.14 miles around the track wouldn't the GPS say that you travled 1 mile from point A even though you actually rode 3.14 miles because you stoped 1 mile from the starting point? It doesn't measure miles of elevation either does it?

The GPS can tell you both things. Make a route from A to B, both as same location. Ride the loop. If you traveled ALL the way around a 1 mile diameter circle it will read approximately 0 as distance to destination B. But it will also tell you that your "mileage" is approximately 3.14 miles. These are two different readouts on my Etrex Legend GPS. And yes it DOES measure miles of elevation even though in most (non-flying) cases the 3D mileage is not significantly different from the 2D mileage. Commercial GPS units take their position fix about 1 time per second and then compute the mileage/kilometerage? between the two points. Total mileage is the sum of all the one second intervals. The faster you go the less precise the measure is going to be, because as HavBlue pointed out they end up "squaring" the corners. I guess they figured not many people fly the Concorde any more so they only rate my GPS to about 1000 mph :(