I think I am going to sell my Fazer

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
So lately i have been toying with the idea of selling the fazer.

Don't get me wrong it's a plenty of bike for me and truth be told it does more than I need, but I am just not excited by it.

I need a bike that will put a big smile from ear to ear everytime I see it/ride it. Fazer just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I have test ridden already the BMW F800R, Harley Sportster 1200 and this saturday I will test ride Triumph Speed Triple and I am working on my way to test ride the Ducati Monster 1100.

The BMW was pretty nice, but the tranny seemed inferior to our FZ6's. I don't know maybe I needed to get used to it, but it just didn't seem all that precise. Other than that it's a very utilitarian bike. Bigger engine, better components but it does pretty much everything and more than FZ6 does. Not much of an upgrade other than the premium price.

HD 1200 Custom is a nice bike, but ever since I crashed on my Honda Shadow I am pretty uneasy ridding cruisers. It's a nice bike but just seems like a big downgrade in terms of performance compared to Fazer. Of course comparing sport bikes to cruisers is akin to comparing apples to oranges, alas HD is out.

I am pretty excited to test ride the Speed Triple this weekend. We'll see what happens.

My other option is to do a naked conversion but I don't know but that might be just a temporary band aid.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think ST will turn you on plenty. That bike is super fun!
You already own a Concourse so a hooligan bike for a 2nd toy is just what the doc ordered.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
You already own a Concourse so a hooligan bike for a 2nd toy is just what the doc ordered.

That fat pig is a torture to ride in the city. I took it down to Virginia few months back and it was splendid though. Honestly it's too much of a bike for me. for now I am keeping it but I might end up just selling it.

I am very much looking fowrward to the Speed Triple and the Ducati 1100 Evo test rides. I think the triple will win me over since it's a nice middle ground in regards to the engine design. The BMW was a twin so I found it hard not to hit the rev limitter even on "gentle" street test ride. On another hand I rarely keep the Fazer in high RPMs anyway so I am just hoping that the triumph will make me happy.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I will never ever sell my FZ6! Even though a $25k Ducati Multistrada will be in my near future, I'll will still keep and ride my FZ6, and finally I will be able to have a bike to take to the track!

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
My mate has just bought the monster evo 1100, very nice!!
Street Triple also good and will be different to how the power is delivered to the fz6.

XTremo

Reaction score
Visit site
I have test ridden already the BMW F800R, Harley Sportster 1200 and this saturday I will test ride Triumph Speed Triple and I am working on my way to test ride the Ducati Monster 1100.

Don't overlook reliability......compared to a Yamaha all those are no contest!

And I'm speaking from the position of having owned 58 bikes....so I've plenty of experience with other makes!

Tuning Forks rule! :rockon:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I test rode a 2014 Street Triple R last weekend - I liked it. Didn't seem a whole lot different from my naked FZ. The styling, yeah, sexy as Kate Upton, but I was expecting more out of the bike. I was expecting a lot more torque out of the triple and it just wasn't quite there.

Yeah, definitely a better bike than the FZ. I liked it, but I didn't love it.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

+1
I rode QuietEagles ST, it's a powerful bike. I do more 2 up riding so I took it off my list of future bikes.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I test rode a 2014 Street Triple R last weekend - I liked it. Didn't seem a whole lot different from my naked FZ. The styling, yeah, sexy as Kate Upton, but I was expecting more out of the bike. I was expecting a lot more torque out of the triple and it just wasn't quite there.

That's exactly my buying guideline. I need to LOVE the bike. I liked the BMW F800r but I wasn't overly impressed by it. I have pretty much always compromised on something when getting a bike. Who know i might end up not getting anything at all. There's not a lot of naked sport bikes out there at this time. I wish the new Yamaha would be available sooner but ohh well.

I think I will throw in Honda CB1000R and Kawi Z1000 into the mix as well.

Water Bear

Fireball
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Have you tried an SV 650 or V strom? If you want something that handles and looks different and has nice, usable torque, those fit the bill.

Maybe sn SV 1k if you really just have to have all the torque. Test ride a Hayabusa while you're out, why not? It would expose you to something very different.

Criminal Pilot

City Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I test rode a Z1000 and CB1000RA when I sold my FZ6.

And then I bought an FZ1. :BLAA:
Something about it puts a huge smile on my face even when I could have had pretty much any other bike.

End of the day, "dream bike" or not, I got the one that still makes me smile. I just hope my exhaust is loud enough to cover up the sound of me screaming "I love my bike!" every single time I ride it. My FZ6 used to do that, and I'm happy to say the FZ1 does it too.

So you could say I agree that you have to "love" the bike. You've gotta take the bike that makes you scream. :D
5500km and two months later, not a single regret! Just typing this right now makes me want to saddle up.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
IMG_0800_zps57e21a56.jpg

By far the most "fun" bike I have owned or ridden. Not sure it would be an urban favorite as the v twin fuel mapping isn't happy with slow speed city riding. However it will leave you with a big smile after every ride.

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I've also got a KTM 690 enduro r, way better than me offroad and proper giggle around town and tight twisty lanes :D
I've ridden a few 990's and they great!!

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't overlook reliability......compared to a Yamaha all those are no contest!

And I'm speaking from the position of having owned 58 bikes....so I've plenty of experience with other makes!

Tuning Forks rule! :rockon:

To add to this, look up valve intervals for each bike. Believe me a bike you have to tear open every 6k to check valve clearances is a PITA and no fun at all lol

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Test rode the Triumph Speed Triple today...

So I took the Speed Triple for a test ride and it's fabulous. Ohh my it's sooo good. The 3 cylinder engine looks out to be a great compromise.

The engine has a lot of torque and it just wants to be pushed harder and harder. It is also very elastic in terms of gearing.

All around the bike is very confidence inspiring. I didn't particularly get terrified of all the extra torque it has. It seemed to have a very linear power curve, which definitely helps in controlling the bike and making it do what YOU want it to do.

I have found myself hitting the rev limiter every now and then. But about 2 minutes into the ride I didn't have that problem. Pretty much all the power that you might need is all there available in lower to mid RPMs. The bike just looks like a perfect hooligan for the city.

The ABS is standard on the model so I am very happy with that. I test rode the "R" version which I can't really complain, but I am curious to see how big of a difference is there in the suspension between the R version and the base model. The R version had lighter wheels and better suspension as far as I know. Engine is the same in both bikes though.

Now I need to test ride the Ducati Monster 1100 Evo. The biggest positive for the Ducati that I seem to find is the inclusion of the traction control as a standard feature. I don't do track, but I have found myself in few occasions that necessitated the extra help from traction control unit. I am not a hooligan on the streets but because of the bad experience I had with the FZ6's rear wheel spinning out on me and thus me learning how to inadvertently drift(lol), I feel that the TC might be a deal breaker for me. Also the Ducati seems to be on the lighter side.

At the very least I need to test ride the Monster before I decide on what to get. So far it seems to be Triumph ST vs Ducati 1100 Evo.

I have also checked out the Honda CB1000r. It looks like a very nice bike but I think the Speed Triple will beat it in terms of bang for the value. Though that depend really on how much you might want the ABS. I don't think the Honda offers it as a standard feature.

I am kind of interested in the Ninja 1000 and the Z1000. At least I want to just see them in person and sit on them before completely dismissing them.

The Z1000 looks kind of interesting, definitely more of a "brute" look to it than other naked bikes on the market. On another hand the Ninja 1000 offers full fairing and ABS. It looks to be a lot more practical with the full fairing etc, but the other side of the coin is that I effing hate taking off the fairing to do any of the simplest maintenance on the bike.

EDIT:

I edited the post to fix the syntax and the glaring dyslexic nature of my writing process.

Last edited:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
Ninja 1k is a nice bike, upright and gives some decent leg space. Have yet to see the new Ducat. I keep myself from test riding a ST because I know ill end up getting it, lose my license and have to drive the lawnmower to town :spank:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ninja 1k is a nice bike, upright and gives some decent leg space. Have yet to see the new Ducat. I keep myself from test riding a ST because I know ill end up getting it, lose my license and have to drive the lawnmower to town :spank:

I think you would get pleasantly surprised how "gentle" the ST is.

The power delivery curve seems linear and although you have a lot more torque, you won't get in trouble unless you really want to.