I picked up a project FZ6..ideas?

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up a 2004 FZ6 with 35k miles for $500. It runs/shifts good, has a new clutch and front tire. That's about all the good news, the rest not so good. No plastics, or headlight or tail light. Needs back tire, chain, clutch cable, fork seals, radiator hose and a few missing bolts.

It also has a yz250 muffler. lol Actually it sounds pretty good. The tank has small dents and was painted white so it needs repainting. My 1st goal is to get it mechanically safe and sound then I will look at cosmetics.

Any ideas are welcome, the bike isn't worth spending alot of money on so I'll likely go naked and do a flat black paint job. Any leads on cheap parts, tire, or ideas would be great.

ohgood

Reaction score
Visit site
Any ideas are welcome, the bike isn't worth spending alot of money on so I'll likely go naked and do a flat black paint job. Any leads on cheap parts, tire, or ideas would be great.

you only have $500 in it, and it's not worth putting a fairing on ? why not ? folks spend $7000 and then continually toss more cash at it for no apparent reason... yours is a real find...

i'd slap a round 8" globe on it, LED brake / signals, whatever mechanicals, and ride the piss out of my 'free' bike. 35000 miles is nothing.

rock on mr. gotta-free-bike ! rock on indeed ! :BLAA::thumbup: :welcome:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cafe racer!!!! Get a single headlamp w/ flyscreen (VS-1 or VS2)from Nubshops.com You'll want to swap out the 35 watt light it comes with to a standard 55 watt H4 lamp and do a headlight mod to properly switch the high to low beam properly. If you need any help with wiring color codes and don't have a reference PM me for any help I can offer you.
Same with directionals if the bike needs them.

That's a great deal for that bike if the main parts are good. :rockon:

Last edited:

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I personally would go nuts with it as a naked bike. But I would buy all of the cool digital, led, hid,etc for it that I wouldn't do to my 08 that I bought new. As others have said awesome find!

Ransom

Does anyone smell blue?
Reaction score
Visit site
I like the naked ideas, and specially the Cafe Racer! Whatever you do keep us posted as the project develops. :thumbup:

Also, show off some pics!
:needpics:

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
I stripped her down a little and ordered some parts;
-back tire
-chain
-clutch cable
-oil filter
-air filter
-headlight assy
-brakelight assy
-radiator hose
-fork seals
-frame sliders
Here are some pictures:
FZ6 - a set on Flickr

rabernar

rabernar
Reaction score
Visit site
08FZ6 is on to something:
Keep it naked, go a little steam-punk on mod attachments, but hi-tech on the mod elements themselves. Give the tank to a paint shop with $75 bucks and tell them to do 'something cool that they've always wanted to do' and then let them be. Do the rest in your garage. Best wishes for a fun summer! Keep us posted - we've all wondered what we'd do if we didn't have to lob it back together to commute it on Monday!

jnappier

Reaction score
Visit site
I received new frame sliders and back tire today and got them installed.
One side radiator mount solder came off so I tried to epoxy it but it didn't hold. I will try liquid steel next.