I painted my stock windscreen

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I had previously tried to tint the windscreen and man, let me tell ya, it came out horrible. So I figured I couldn't do any worse by painting it outright.

I googled around to see if I could find an epoxy based satin finish paint since I didn't want it all shiny (shiny would be cheezy me thinks :D ). I wanted an epoxy based paint since the front of the shield will get pummeled with bugs at sometimes high speeds.

I am pleased with the way it looks and I guess time will tell how well it holds up.

Anyhow, this is how it looks and the link to Amazon where I got the paint.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CPIN34]Amazon.com: VHT SP652 Satin Black Epoxy All Weather Paint Can - 11 oz.: Automotive[/ame]

Paint job looks good, but time will tell if you like the completely blacked out look or if it holds up. If it doesn't work out you can always replace it with an aftermarket screen.

Hopefully you painted the inside of the screen and not the outside. This will prevent wear and tear to a certain extent. Good job. I did the same mod a few years ago.

Hopefully you painted the inside of the screen and not the outside. This will prevent wear and tear to a certain extent. Good job. I did the same mod a few years ago.

Well that's the thing.. the whole screen looked awful so I painted the whole thing. Next step is to toss this one and get a Puig. So really nothing to lose and yeah I like the blacked out look.

Painting only the inside didn't look good?

The VHT night shades tint when applied the way I did (used too heavy) caused a hazing that looked like thousands of tiny cracks visible from the front, hence the reason for wanting to paint it.

Looks very nice now. hoping it holds up for a season or more

Neat job....looks great, as for durablity, my suspicion is that it will struggle to keep the paint on the front of the screen....stone chips for a start.....

But, Hey, a lot of us have hadto do stuff like this for a temporary, and sometimes, permanent fix...

And if it ends up being only temporary...like you said, Puig!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The VHT night shades tint when applied the way I did (used too heavy) caused a hazing that looked like thousands of tiny cracks visible from the front, hence the reason for wanting to paint it.

Looks very nice now. hoping it holds up for a season or more

Good to know on the VHT night shades tint stuff, I almost bought that...

I may try to use this expoxy paint on the inside of the screen first, to see how it looks.

Looks great man! Way to make a bad mistake into a good thing, god knows we've all done it :thumbup:

Good to know on the VHT night shades tint stuff, I almost bought that...

I may try to use this expoxy paint on the inside of the screen first, to see how it looks.

Absolutely! Only paint the inside of the screen. I really did not have a choice. It will look fine only painting the inside of screen and you won't have to worry about stone chips.

For prep I used 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper then wiped it down with paint thinner followed by a rinse with water. Once dry it is ready for paint. This paint requires no primer which works well since the primer would show thru to the front of the screen.

Back