I need your help

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I need some help from you guys.
Because of a previous motorbike accident I have now got problems with my seating position on the FZ6. I either need to address the problem on the bike or go back to cruisers.

I snapped both my forearms in 1991 in a bike accident and I find that my weight is forward all the time on the FZ6. I also cracked a vertabae in the accident and because the positioning on the FZ6 means you lay forward over the tank, it means your neck is cranked back a long way.

What I need to do is adjust the bike so I am in a much more sitting position.

I think this may be possible by adding taller risers and changing the handlebars to something that rakes back a bit. Stephs husbands VMAX gave me the idea. If you can make a VMAX look like a cruiser, why not the FZ6.

I want it to fit in with the bike so I am not considering ape hangers guys.

Any suggestions would be welcome and if someone would like to do a sensible photoshop then that would be great.

I love the FZ6 and have spent time and money rigging it up to tour on and so I would hate to have to sell it. This is the last option I have so I hope you can help.

Steve :thumbup:

buzzard breath

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There are threads (pictures) on handle bar risers, seats and adjusting the brake/clutch that other have found very helpful. Can't speak from experience but there were a lot of good suggestions for you to consider. Good luck.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck with your hunt :thumbup:

Are these the sort of risers you're thinking of Steve?

Thats exactly what I am looking for Cloggy, but I cannot find th catalogue number for it. Can you see it?

Did you get to watch City and Man utd yesterday? We were going nuts in the pub. If some one had said 4-3 before the start I would have been happy with that.

Steve

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Highway pegs and some more extreme risers should make a big difference.

Actually I looked for somewhere to put my feet, no joking. Can a highway bar be fitted somewhere on the FZ6? I want to try to keep it looking as much as a sports tourer as I can otherwise I may as well get a cruiser again.

Steve

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I understand your problem completely. I had the same troubles when I bought the FZ6 (in my case, I have bad wrists from a serious of fractures I had years ago. I couldn't ride 20 miles without a lot of pain.

Then I bought SW-Motech risers/bar barbacks from twistedthrottle.com They work VERY well. I did an Iron Butt ride with NO PROBLEMS.

I'm now looking to getting engine guards and mounting pegs on them for longer rides.

For a more expensive option, you could also try rearsets (about $500-600) I don't know much about them, but apparently they provide a LOT of adjustment for the footpegs (although I doubt you could really get your feet out front like you could with a set of engine guards/hi-way pegs).

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thats exactly what I am looking for Cloggy, but I cannot find th catalogue number for it. Can you see it?

Did you get to watch City and Man utd yesterday? We were going nuts in the pub. If some one had said 4-3 before the start I would have been happy with that.

Steve

Hi steve, you can see it here.
The number is LEH.00.039.152

There is also a link to the Motech site (SW-MOTECH Motorradtechnik - Spezialkonstruktionen - Motorradzubehör). I should think you can find it cheapest across the border in Germany.

Yeah shame about the match, I watched it on match of the day. But as my Mum had not rung I correctly assumed they had lost :(.

Well my "adopted" club AZ (Alkmaar) is presently at the top of the Dutch premier league, narrowly beating Ajax on goal difference :cheer:

Last edited:
T

TheVmaxrider

I think this may be possible by adding taller risers and changing the handlebars to something that rakes back a bit. Stephs husbands VMAX gave me the idea. If you can make a VMAX look like a cruiser, why not the FZ6.

OUCH, you wound me. My Max looks nothing like a cruiser. See attached pics, one cruiser Max and one streetfighter Max:D Of course once the MV Augusta tail goes on in a couple of weeks it will be more evident.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OUCH, you wound me. My Max looks nothing like a cruiser. See attached pics, one cruiser Max and one streetfighter Max:D Of course once the MV Augusta tail goes on in a couple of weeks it will be more evident.

You know what i meant Jim. Something different to the norm. ORIGINAL...thats the word I was looking for. Jannie saw your bike after Steph posted it and she loves it. "get one of them" she said. This is the woman who bangs me on the head at 140kph to slow down. She thinks whacking me on the side of the head without warning at 140kph is not dangerous. But actually riding at 140kph on an empty highway IS dangerous. Why she whacks me I don`t know because we have an intercom system. I think she just likes to whack me. I said "Darling that VMAX is like S##t off a shovel, it`s a known devil machine, 140kph is just ticking over. "I don`t care, you can have one if you want".

Its a lovely bike Jim.

Steve

Last edited:
T

TheVmaxrider

Steve,

I knew you were playing, just had to send it back at ya:thumbup: As for the 140km/h, I feel for you. Once got asked how fast my Max was, told the guy I had no idea, the speedo needle was pointing straight down:eek: At the risk of the wrath of Steph, which can be mighty, it was well past 260km/h. Probably way too fast, but cool none the less. With no fairing to hide behind I don't recommend it for very long periods of time. I generally cruise at ~120km/h locally, 140-160km/h on the highway, traffic dependant of course:D Actually made great time on Steph's Fizzer when I crossed Toronto on the highway at 180km/h in a group of cars. Had my excuse all worked out if I got pulled over too "I would have been killed if I didn't move with the flow of cars;)"

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This is the woman who bangs me on the head at 140kph to slow down. She thinks whacking me on the side of the head without warning at 140kph is not dangerous. But actually riding at 140kph on an empty highway IS dangerous. Why she whacks me I don`t know because we have an intercom system. I think she just likes to whack me.

Steve

:rof: On the very odd occasion that I ride behind Jim I whack him to...but normally its my helmet hitting him in between the shoulder blades when I fall asleep. Or when an abhorrent animal runs out in front of him and he hits the brakes a lil too hard lol