I DID it!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, in the larger scheme of things this may not be much, but I finally scraped a peg (feeler). Wasn't trying to but I took a road today with one of my favorite left-right combos and carried some speed through. No line adjustment, just didn't brush the brakes and let it lean. Man it felt GREAT!

Now I know that many of my fellow forumites do this routinely but try to remember your first time and you'll know how I feel!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never scraped at speed. I started shifting my body into the turn before my lean angles ever got that steep.

More power to you for being brave enough to lean your bike over that far (and I've ridden behind you.. I know if you're going to scrape, it won't be due to improper body position).

I've already mentioned it to you (and no, it's not my job to get more people hooked!), but you may want to consider taking it to the track. :thumbup:

BajaBob

Reaction score
Visit site
My first time was in a routine turn I take everyday. Boot then peg. Wasn't all that crazy but I did feel pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Susan

That Romance Author Lady
Reaction score
Visit site
I hated my first time and every time after that. :eek: My line, my body position, and my throttle hand are all adjusted now so that it won't happen.

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, in the larger scheme of things this may not be much, but I finally scraped a peg (feeler). Wasn't trying to but I took a road today with one of my favorite left-right combos and carried some speed through. No line adjustment, just didn't brush the brakes and let it lean. Man it felt GREAT!

Now I know that many of my fellow forumites do this routinely but try to remember your first time and you'll know how I feel!

Congrats! It does feel great doesn't it.

the first time I scraped the foot pegs and/or toe-sliders was on my first ride on V-Strom in the Bear Mountain area two months ago. At first I was a little fazed but after watching thousands of videos on YouTube of motorcyclists crashing when they get startled that they were dragging the footpegs that I was mentally prepared and kept my cool.

At this point I am kind of afraid to put on the aluminum panniers on V-strom (once my mounting bolts arrive) because I am afraid that I might be dragging them as well, haha.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! It does feel great doesn't it.

the first time I scraped the foot pegs and/or toe-sliders was on my first ride on V-Strom in the Bear Mountain area two months ago. At first I was a little fazed but after watching thousands of videos on YouTube of motorcyclists crashing when they get startled that they were dragging the footpegs that I was mentally prepared and kept my cool.

At this point I am kind of afraid to put on the aluminum panniers on V-strom (once my mounting bolts arrive) because I am afraid that I might be dragging them as well, haha.

The sensible (and MSF coach) thing to say would be this: If you're scraping on the street and your body position is good (that is to say, you're not leaning the bike more than necessary, while keeping the body upright), you are riding too fast!

Now that I got that out of the way, the friendly suggestion would be to start shifting your body into the turns. You don't have to slide your butt side to side if you don't want to, but at the least try the COW (chin over wrist) technique in the turns. It'll reduce lean angle, while allowing you to maintain same line at same speed.

Being brave and reaching limits is cool. Having loads of traction and lean angle in reserve is smart :thumbup:

I hope I'm not sounding like a nanny and by no means do I think I'm a better rider than any of you. I just want you all to be safe!

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The sensible (and MSF coach) thing to say would be this: If you're scraping on the street and your body position is good (that is to say, you're not leaning the bike more than necessary, while keeping the body upright), you are riding too fast!

Now that I got that out of the way, the friendly suggestion would be to start shifting your body into the turns. You don't have to slide your butt side to side if you don't want to, but at the least try the COW (chin over wrist) technique in the turns. It'll reduce lean angle, while allowing you to maintain same line at same speed.

Being brave and reaching limits is cool. Having loads of traction and lean angle in reserve is smart :thumbup:

I hope I'm not sounding like a nanny and by no means do I think I'm a better rider than any of you. I just want you all to be safe!

Aye! Roger that! I have been lazy and truth be told I have been putting off studying the positions and techniques for some time now. So far I have been winging it and learning by trial and error. We all know that my luck is going to run out pretty soon and it's going to more painful and expensive errors to learn from.

I always appreciate a good advice and with the off season I am gonna have to bury myself in some study materials.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
10 more sign-ups and he qualifies for the drawing to win the free track bike :cheer:

LMAO! Notice I said nothing about a track day in my last post! COW can safely be practiced on the street.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
LMAO! Notice I said nothing about a track day in my last post! COW can safely be practiced on the street.

Lol. I could not help making the remark. Seriously though, I understand the value of using body position to lessen lean angle, but I cannot find a lot of information on COW. I get the basics but are there any good writ ups on the skill?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Lol. I could not help making the remark. Seriously though, I understand the value of using body position to lessen lean angle, but I cannot find a lot of information on COW. I get the basics but are there any good writ ups on the skill?

There's not much to write about really. Take a look at this image:

chin-over-wrist.png

As you press the grip away from you to initiate the lean, lean your upper body forward and into the turn (leading with your chin), as if you are trying to position your chin directly over your wrist.

Don't go all out on the first few tries. Build it up slowly.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
I have never scraped a peg or boot. I started trying this technique (COW)this season. Leaning out to decrease lean angle and increase speed at which I take turns. When I'm focused and remember to do the technique, it works great!! I have tried sliding my butt out, but it feels so weird. I can't go there yet. Maybe next season.

Winterized bikes and packed them away in "deep freeze" (motorcycle garage in backyard) for the winter. Sad, sad day. Hubbie wanted to put his car in the garage now that it's getting cold. Not a problem for me, my car is always in the garage :cheer:. lol I'll be reading and studying new techniques over Winter awaiting Spring riding season.:rockon:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have never scraped a peg or boot. I started trying this technique (COW)this season. Leaning out to decrease lean angle and increase speed at which I take turns. When I'm focused and remember to do the technique, it works great!! I have tried sliding my butt out, but it feels so weird. I can't go there yet. Maybe next season.

Winterized bikes and packed them away in "deep freeze" (motorcycle garage in backyard) for the winter. Sad, sad day. Hubbie wanted to put his car in the garage now that it's getting cold. Not a problem for me, my car is always in the garage :cheer:. lol I'll be reading and studying new techniques over Winter awaiting Spring riding season.:rockon:

Wow.. didn't think it ever got that cold in Reno.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow.. didn't think it ever got that cold in Reno.

Crisis is next - been raining non-stop. No pegs in on our last good run this year, but it sure was fun. I really need a camera to see what I'm doing. I'd like to think all our ducks are in a row and if judged the view would be positive on our style (bike and rider pair). However, I can't help be feel like I toss it about like a dirt bike on occasion and this can't be good. Season 3 will wrap up with no downs but I do wonder how much I get away with just for being smooth and not freakin when her feathers are ruffled!

Like Eric says, be safe...

deeptekkie

Reaction score
Visit site

Cool ain't it? Mine have flat spots ground on their ends that almost appear rusty. Be careful. When you think you are getting good a bike will bite you.