I bought a Honda Magna

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
For quite some time now I've been looking for a nice cruiser to buy. As much as I love the FZ6 I sometimes get in a cruiser mood. So my goal was to have a comfortable sport bike (the FZ is all that and more) and a comfortable cruiser. So I went into several dealers to sit and feel out all the different cruisers out there. I've done hours and hours of research and narrowed it down to a couple different bikes. I was close to getting a Honda Shadow 750, but decided to keep looking around. Almost all the new cruisers are V-twins and I really wanted a V4.

I then came across the Magna. For those that don't know about it, it's considered a "power cruiser." Since I'm used to a pretty zippy sport bike (the FZ), I felt like I would get bored with a 750 V-twin. At this point I don't want to shell out the money to get a bigger cruiser (1300-1600). So the Magna seemed to be the perfect fit for me. Honda basically took a sport bike engine and put it in a cruiser frame. I was also looking at a Yamaha V-Max (the older ones... the 2009 is an insane bike!) but they are really only good with straight line acceleration (from all the reviews I've read), and I wanted a bike I can have fun with in the twisties.

I found a guy that was selling one 5 minutes from my house. I went to check it out and fell in love. He let me take it out for a test ride and I was sold immediately. It handles really well, is very fast, is very comfortable, and is very pretty! :thumbup:

So here are some pics. It's a 1998.

IMG_5303.jpg

IMG_5304.jpg

IMG_5305.jpg

IMG_5307.jpg

^How many of me can you count in the bike? lol

IMG_5310.jpg

IMG_5311.jpg

IMG_5313.jpg

-Taso

Last edited:

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice choice!....You won't be sorry!:thumbup:

I had the original 1982 V45 Magna (750) for 15 years and I hated to let go of that bike. The motor has 40+ miles and runs as strong as it did in 1982. My cousin now owns and drives that bike daily.

Great bike; as much as I am love'n the FZ6, I will always love that Magna.

Good luck with it. Honda V4 is one of the best motors ever!

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Sweet!!! My first bike was a 1985 V30 Magna. The strong V4 engine has a good amount of midrange. My old 500 will keep up and might be faster than any HD (not vrod). It was in close to perfect condition before I sold it to a guy in the next town and bought his 01 Zx6r.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
That looks pretty cool. I love the cruiser look, but never wanted cruiser handling nor the cruiser foot forward positioning (leading to sore butts from what I hear). That Magna looks to have a more "normal" rake than the hugely extended front wheel on most cruisers, which would make it handle better. Feet aren't too far forward either. Does it have a good rumbling cruiser sound, or does it sound more like the sportbike that its engine came from?

When do you think you'll take the Magna and when the FZ6?

Jman

Metamorphic
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats....always liked the look of those....glad to hear it performs well, too.:thumbup:

tasop7

Enjoying Life!
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks pretty cool. I love the cruiser look, but never wanted cruiser handling nor the cruiser foot forward positioning (leading to sore butts from what I hear). That Magna looks to have a more \\"normal\\" rake than the hugely extended front wheel on most cruisers, which would make it handle better. Feet aren't too far forward either. Does it have a good rumbling cruiser sound, or does it sound more like the sportbike that its engine came from?

When do you think you'll take the Magna and when the FZ6?

Well a lot of the cruisers I looked at had a very limited lean ability in turns. They're obviously not made for aggressive riding. My neighbor has a new Honda VTX1300 cruiser and I took it out for a test ride. The foot controls were pretty far forward. It was a little awkward at first but about 3 minutes into riding it felt very good. I just went around the block a couple times and down a 2 mile straight road. I actually didn't want to stop riding it. I'm 25 and definitely a sport bike guy, but like I said, sometimes I get in these cruiser moods where I just want to go out for a nice relaxing ride down some back country roads.

Most cruiser owners I've talked to have an aftermarket Mustang or Corbin seat and they can ride all day. I've sat in a Mustang seat and they are soooo comfortable, I can't even explain it. Combine the seat with the fact that your legs are pretty straight (which helps blood flow) and you can ride for a long time. Obviously everyone's body is different though.

The Magna's foot positioning is right in the middle of a cruiser and a standard. The positioning is a little forward but still allows you to ride it pretty aggressively if you want. You can lean this bike pretty far over in a turn. And most Magna owners get highway pegs which will allow you to put your legs out straight if you wanted to.

The Magna's exhaust sound is right between a cruiser and sport bike. It doesn't have a deep throaty sound but doesn't have a high winding sound either. It has more of a "power" reving sound (it's hard to explain, but it sounds good). I may put an aftermarket exhaust on to give it more of a deeper sound in the future.

Have you ever ridden any of the bigger cruisers (1100 and above)?

-Taso

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are great bikes and I cannot believe you found one in such great condition! It looks showroom ready! :thumbup:

Well done!!

S

sportrider

that's the same engine my old VFR had in it basically, very linear power plant.
good choice not getting the shadow 750. I spanked one in a drag race on J's Ninja 250:D