how to remove tank protector MESS in 5 minutes

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I had a bad experience with a clear tank protector that I installed couple of weeks ago (more details on that story here ---> http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/18657-clear-tank-protector-looks-bad.html ).
I couldn't take the sight of it anymore and I had to remove it - I took the bike to the store where I bought the protector from, showed them how is coming off and they gave me a full refund, so I purchased a new one, a different brand.

My problems started after I went back home when in the garage I start removing the old one in order to install my new protector. I was facing a HUGE MESS - a mountain of glue, impossible to remove from my tank - I was in a hart attack! :eek:

I called right away the bike store and they told me they use GOO GONE to remove the old price stickers from the new helmets, visors, etc without damaging the finished surfaces.

I went to a drugstore & I bought this for $4.99 ---> GooGone Goo Gone Automotive Cleaner 16oz

I used 2 separate cotton cloths.
With first one I applied the solvent to the glue, then I waited for 2-3 minutes.
Then with the other clean & dry cloth I just wiped out the glue - it came out like magic!
(I had to repeat the process to a couple of areas where the glue was really old & hard, but it came out right at the 2ND application of the solvent, in less than a minute).

After 5 minutes my gas tank was like new!
(in fact, seeing how great this solvent is, I start cleaning some other areas, I had some old stains on my handle bar & other ares, which were impossible to remove with anything else before - this stuff removed 90% of those, I was blown away!)

After that I installed my new tank protector.

Last edited:

razteo

Special Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the exact same tank protector from Pro Grip. The carbon fiber look is sharp without being flashy or too bland.

yes, but the clear one (if you get it installed right) looks so liquid and borrows the bike color - is awesome.
But if it gets installed less than perfect, you will see thru its transparency all the air bubbles and imperfections.

I wasn't crazy about the carbon fiber finish, but I had no choice due my past experience with a clear one.