how to remove a needle bearing from the rear wheel ?

cowbasa

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
I need to remove a needle bearing from the rear wheel to get it powdercoated. Any ideas how to do that? The only suggestion I can find is to cut it with a dremel which will be my last option. Is there any specific tool or technique that allows to pull it out somehow? I don't care to destroy the bearing, but don't want to destroy it's bedding and also don't want to buy a dremel just for one time use.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tap it out with a drift 'EVENLY" so it doesn't bind.

Remove bearing #2 first : https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle/2007/fz6-fzs6w/rear-wheel
spacer #6, then you'll have access to the needle bearing.

You could Dremel the edge for a drift to contact. (Kinda peel back and knock out).

If the cage for the needle bearing (forgot, I did mine a couple years ago) is steel (no plastic), I see no reason to remove it. It wasn't terribly difficult.

Have the powder coat guys tape off the hole (should be anyway). Just re-grease the bearing (needle bearing only) when ready to re-assemble.

Last edited:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi guys,
I need to remove a needle bearing from the rear wheel to get it powdercoated. Any ideas how to do that? The only suggestion I can find is to cut it with a dremel which will be my last option. Is there any specific tool or technique that allows to pull it out somehow? I don't care to destroy the bearing, but don't want to destroy it's bedding and also don't want to buy a dremel just for one time use.
That bearing is a pita. I ended up cutting with dremel but if you want to try a drift, heat the wheel around the bearing to let it enlarge a little. Search YouTube for MC Garage wheel bearing. Good video. But I am with Scott. If the powder coater is ok with leaving it, leave it. They heat the wheel to about 400f, so you will need to clean out the old grease first to prevent a runny mess. If you remove, put the new bearing in a cooler with dry ice for a while to shrink it a bit. You will need to work quickly as the bearing will warm to original size in a short time.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cowbasa

Reaction score
Visit site
There is some plastic in the bearing, so cut it looks like the only way to remove. Thanks anyway :)

cowbasa

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like I need to cut it anyway. Ended up bringing it unremoved to the powder coating shop. The owner said they will remove it for a few extra bucks. Problem solved Thank you!