How to make ourselves more visible?

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Iowa state started posters for cagers out there, "Look for motorcycle"..!

But are we making ourselves visible to them?

Motorcyclist Conspicuity Increases Odds of Survival | SMARTER Inc

When I first got his bike in USA, I thought I would never go completely black on the bike but here I'm.
image.jpg

Other than that pair, I have LED underglow for my bike, at night, I'm visible, other than for people who are blind by their EGO..!

How about you?

Last edited:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Fork lights upfront on both sides, and hyperlites on the back. I run two 16 LED hyperlites that are constantly on then flash continuously under braking.

Also they sell rim tape that is florescent when lit by car headlights and stuff.

Other than that your riding style can play a big part in how visible you are to other cars, I always think the car waiting at a cross road is going to not see me and pull out, so I swerve slightly back and forth and watch their wheels (if I cant see their face) to see if they're going to pull out or not

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I'm in heavy traffic (its season down here now), besides turning on the high beam, I'll use ALL my lane, especially for a car ahead, waiting to pull out from a side street.

I'll literally, weave back and forth, in my lane which seems to get others attention in "WTH is this bike doing"??? I'm getting your attention!.
Obviously, try to stay out of the oily middle part of the lane as MUCH AS POSSIBLE..

And when possible, get to the head of the pack and pull away (just enough not to get trapped in the middle of numerous cages)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ + 10 on riding style being HUGE FACTOR as my bike and gear are completely black with the only bright item being the stanchion tubes! There is no remaining silver either.
As for gear - all black except red helmet and gloves. Gear does have reflective sections tho! 5 years I've beat the odds I guess!

PS - Bike has no side reflectors or rim tape either...

JM2C but I don't think those tiny projector beams are seen as well as the GLARE THROWN out from both bulbs in the OEM housing being lit. Now I'm not saying you can see at night, but you are seen in the day! Weave on!

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
I noticed a big difference when I switched from a black helmet to a solid hi-viz tennis ball yellow helmet a couple years ago. The cars that usually would be pulling out of a side street weren't anymore. Unfortunately that helmet didn't last too long, as it was the wrong shape for my head. Current helmet is solid white, which is still pretty visible, but I miss the yellow one.

Another thing too, regarding hi-viz gear. A friend of mine crashed on a highway riding home one night a couple years ago. While lights on the bike help, they don't help traffic see YOU if you're no longer on the bike. After he realized that he was lucky there was no other traffic on the road while he was tumbling on the highway in all black gear at night, he bought a hi/viz yellow onesie for commuting.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've never been a fan of black colored bikes and gear, including black helmets, it just blends in too well with the asphalt. In my opinion, having either of them or worse all of them, you are at a disadvantage from the get go when it comes to visibility. At night, reflective gear is very important, from head to toe. Yes, my boots have reflective material built around my heels.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
When I'm in heavy traffic (its season down here now), besides turning on the high beam, I'll use ALL my lane, especially for a car ahead, waiting to pull out from a side street.

I'll literally, weave back and forth, in my lane which seems to get others attention in "WTH is this bike doing"??? I'm getting your attention!.
LOL, I like it, but never tried being that confusing to others, but now, I'll try that.
And when possible, get to the head of the pack and pull away (just enough not to get trapped in the middle of numerous cages)
Sometimes, I'm scared to do this, because all the cars go at 75-59mph and in order to overtake, I have to be more than that, and that time, when you think about safety, cop will find you.
He won't be there when we do stupid stuff on the roads.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
^^ + 10 on riding style being HUGE FACTOR as my bike and gear are completely black with the only bright item being the stanchion tubes! There is no remaining silver either.
As for gear - all black except red helmet and gloves. Gear does have reflective sections tho! 5 years I've beat the odds I guess!

PS - Bike has no side reflectors or rim tape either...

JM2C but I don't think those tiny projector beams are seen as well as the GLARE THROWN out from both bulbs in the OEM housing being lit. Now I'm not saying you can see at night, but you are seen in the day! Weave on!

I'm planning to use this black reflective tape to make it look like this.

In this way, it'll be win-win situation. You'll be visible at night and your bike still didn't lose it's reven look.
http://www.streetglo.net/image/blackmagicgeo1701p55.jpg https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=black reflective tape

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll use ALL my lane,

This 100%^^^^

Lane position, relative speed and "attitude" play a far bigger role in being seen than dayglo and reflective strips.

"Hi-viz" has its place, but taking charge of your road space, using your position to control other road users around you and understanding human nature will put you in good stead. I'll try and find a link to an article written by a fast jet pilot on the subject of being seen.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This 100%^^^^

Lane position, relative speed and "attitude" play a far bigger role in being seen than dayglo and reflective strips.

"Hi-viz" has its place, but taking charge of your road space, using your position to control other road users around you and understanding human nature will put you in good stead. ......
This 100%^^^^

I use a hi vis vest in the winter months, and I do believe it helps but as Payneib says it takes more than Hi Vis to get you noticed and to be safe. [MENTION=13318]The Spin Doctor[/MENTION] also teaches "the art of being seen" in the (free) Bikerdown courses he gives, as additional info .

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes, I'm scared to do this, because all the cars go at 75-59mph and in order to overtake,.

Its rare I go on the interstate, but yes, I'd run up to say 90 for 15-20 seconds, 1/4 mile ahead, then slow down till traffic catches up. If there's one guy, say running 100, heck, just let him go, he's not going to cage you in...And the police will grab him before they grab you.

Most of my local riding, with the heavy traffic, is either 2 or 3 lanes, speed limit of 50. Its usually easy to work around traffic and get ahead, just enough.

Now, if someone gets on my a$$, and its not clear ahead, I'll tap the brake lights(Hyper, flashing lights too) a couple times. Should they stay on my a$$, I'll slow to THE SPEED LIMIT. They'll go around then. the farther away, the better....Under the speed limit, your really going to pi$$ them off and then road rage is likely...

payneib

Reaction score
Visit site
All good advice from Mr Townsend.

We don't do multi-lane traffic like you guys do in the states. But on the rare occasion I'm on a motorway, I'm moving through it. Likes been said, if someone is hoofing it up the road, just let them through. Spot a gap in another lane, and let them by, then carry on with your day.

For lane changes, attitude plays a big part. Watch for gaps. If there's an empty space to the side of a car that's coming up behind slower moving vehicles, it's going to move across. Don't be in that space. When you're making your lane changes, make it obvious. First step: mirrors. Then indicators. Then a big old exaggerated shoulder check. That's what let's them know you're moving over.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a silver motorcycle, because I will never buy a black motorcycle, also I use a white helmet, white HID headlight and a yellow light on the other one.

"V"

The white helmets are cooler (especially down here where the sun IS INTENSE), and more visible, But I do wear a black, 3/4 Shoei.

For me, the white, reflector vests(which work), is just not for me. I don't wish to look, well, .......

I count alot on my experience, and ride like your invisible...

Be prepared for evasive action, ALWAYS...

MG-242

Reaction score
Visit site
Many great suggestions, folks! ANYTHING you can do to make yourself more visible is a step in the right direction. From conspicuity type clothing\gear, bright helmet, lights, reflective material on the bike to lane positioning and movement. I too have a very dangerous left turn I make every evening going home to turn off of a busy two lane State route on to a county road. I wear ATGATT, high-vis, additional bright and flashing brake lights, extra reflective tape on the rear. In the past two years I have almost been rear ended probably about 5-6 times. My latest style which seems to be working is about a quarter mile before my turn and I see there is on-coming traffic which means I will need to stop and wait, is to swerve left and right in my lane a couple of times, as I put my signal on, then stand up on the pegs and put my arm out for a high-viz hand signal. This seems to get their attention (same as 'what is this crazy person doing?). But, it only works if someone is pretty close behind you. If they're another 1\4 back they may not even see the crazy person.

I agree also that perception plays a role. People see what they expect to see. But, our biggest problem now is portable electronic devices (phones, GPS, etc.) and the distracted drivers operating them. My favorite thing now is to honk when I pass them and watch their reaction. I'm pretty sure the lady in the cage this morning peed herself when I passed her door and honked while her head was in her lap. Scares me to death and I've been riding many years.

Good thread and thanks for starting it!!

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
My favorite thing now is to honk when I pass them and watch their reaction. I'm pretty sure the lady in the cage this morning peed herself when I passed her door and honked while her head was in her lap. Scares me to death and I've been riding many years.

I always have the urge to do this, but at highway speeds I'm afraid they'll jump when I do it and accidentally swerve towards me...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
. But, our biggest problem now is portable electronic devices (phones, GPS, etc.) and the distracted drivers operating them. My favorite thing now is to honk when I pass them and watch their reaction. I'm pretty sure the lady in the cage this morning peed herself when I passed her door and honked while her head was in her lap. Scares me to death and I've been riding many years.
!

+100 ^^^^ big time.

I do the same with the Stebel horn, or a good rev with the open Scorps works well too!!!!

Then get the heck away from them. "Let them play tag with another car", not me..

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Contrast is your best friend on a bike. Light colors that don't match are best but remember people pull out in front of emergency vehicles with full lights and sirens everyday.

Expect the unexpected.