How to install a 12volt outlet on your fz6.

mrutledge

'Georgia rider'
Reaction score
Visit site
For the record, I'm not a professional, nor am I trying to give any professional advice. I did this because I was bored and I knew how to do it. Don't sue me if you try this, cross something up, and deep fry your bike...I'm man enough to say..
I'm stupid, don't copy me...
Now that being said, I did this today, and it works great. It only took about 45 minutes and cost around 8 bucks, or a little more if you don't have wiring or wire connectors.
I did the same thing on a 06 gsxr 600 and It worked great for 2 years and as far as I know it still works.. (I Sold the bike, so only God knows where it is now)

And for the record..If you leave something plugged into it and turn the bike off and leave and come back and your bike is dead...don't blame me...you should have remembered to unplug it.

DrewT86

Reaction score
Visit site
LOL, I'd blame you except I installed mine before you joined :p

Btw you can solve the problem of draining your battery pretty easily. Auto-zone sells some cheap 4 wire relays that are normally open if you hook it up to the headlight on the control side, and on the contacts hook up your positive for the 12v socket, it will only be powered when your headlight is on, aka when the bike is running.

Last edited:

DavidG-757

Reaction score
Visit site
I was just considering doing the same thing. I was looking to find a bracket with 3 inlets so I can keep my phone and gps powered due to lack of lasting battery in each. Would you say that the drain on the battery from these is minimal? as long as I only keep them plugged in while im moving of course.
update-- just saw drew's reply so that works too haha

fb40dash5

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd also recommend adding a ~10A fuse and holder on the positive wire, to prevent the aforementioned deep frying!

(OK, the wires would probably just melt before catching the bike on fire, but better to be safe.)

Reed

Southern Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Good job!!! I need to figure out what I want to do with mine! I may do something like this or get an adapter to connect to my SAE plug already installed for my Battery Tender.

mrutledge

'Georgia rider'
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys sorry or the late response...
...To answer the question about the battery drainage being an issue...well I haven't had any problems so far and i never had any problems when I did the same mod to my gsxr6..as for the 10 fuse...definately a good idea....I know that the pictures that I posted can't be read unless you open them up with the right program so sorry about that...if you open them with certain programs you can read of the little details of the installation. I mentioned that fusing it was a good idea on one of the pictures...
Good luck on the install to those of you that have plans on doing this and thanks for the positive responses.. :):rockon:

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
If nothing is plugged into it, it won't drain any power at all. Open circuit, no current flow.

Fuse is a very good idea - not only because you could fry something, but you could also drain the battery if water gets in there and it shorts out. All-weather should be pretty waterproof (I have a similar socket on my bike), but you never know.

I wired mine up with a relay to the ignition (I think I actually tapped off the headlight). Wanted to be able to leave things plugged in when the bike was off and not worry about them sapping juice from the battery.