How to determine if my FZ6 is lowered?

FZ6Seb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I have bought my 2005 FZ6 last year from a lady way smaller than me (I'm 6'3"!).

Looking at the maintenance bills she left me I see some adjustments were made to the suspension.
In the front I reseated the fork at the upper most position.
In the back though I can't know if anything was done?

Does anyone have ideas or is anyone able to take measurements on a standard height bike so I can compare with mine?

Thanks a lot!

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Being 6'3", if it fits you properly, it's probably the stock height.

Jokes aside, it's a tall bike to begin with. The lowering method in the rear is to swap out the lower aluminum block of the shock with a shorter one, the difference is only about 10mm, so it's going to be difficult to tell the difference, it'll probably have a different appearance though.

If you're able to determine that it's a lowered piece, I have an extra, stock, fully functioning shock (~19k miles) off of my 06, if you want I'll trade you (either the whole shock or the bottom aluminum piece for that.)

Picture of Stock Shock - aluminum block at the bottom is original.
4df876180d1fa_AMMORTIZZATORE_1_.JPG

Picture of the Soupy's Performance (weird name for a suspension company, but whatever) lowering link - the common choice of lowering links for the FZ -
tn_2012-02-11_165049.jpg

EDIT: Another thing to check is the sidestand, if it's been shortened you might be able to tell, if it hasn't, it'll stand straighter upright, the foot won't be level.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well done! ^^ +1

Also stock length of the OEM shock 300 mm eye to eye if it somehow ends up out on the ground. I'd imagine one of us could measure from the eye on the block to spring seat for reference and you could measure yours.

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Put bike on center stand A 2x4 should just fit under the rear tire(narrow side) This helps me install rear wheel by the way.

FZ6Seb

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for your answers! :thumbup:

Looking at my shock it looks like the one you posted (stock).

I'll try the 2x4 trick to see if it fits under the wheel when on the stand.

What got me thinking that the bike could have been lowered is that when I try and pull the center stand it feels like it can only go a few inches before it touches the ground. Then I find it really hard to get the bike on the stand...

Here are a few pictures

4v5r43.jpg

353a8zt.jpg

aoro04.jpg

v8ht9d.jpg

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Try taking off the tire hugger, it's just a few bolts on the swingarms and one retaining clip at the front, it is a bit of a PITA to pull all the way out, but just getting it part way out of the way would make it easier to get a view of the lower part of the shock.

Is the picture of you trying to put the centerstand down while the bike is resting on the sidestand or with it in the air? I'm having a hard time telling from that picture.

Can you provide:
a picture of the full bike taken straight up from the rear, with the bike on the sidestand.
a picture of the sidestand, also from the rear, while the bike is resting on it, focusing on the foot.
That picture of the lower portion of the shock, with the hugger removed, you may actually be able to get a picture from underneath the swing arm instead, I'm trying to remember what that looks like from the bottom.