How to carry an extra helmet...

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
... without the rider? If I want to keep riding the FZ6 to work, I must drop my daughter at school in the morning. She doesn't have room in her school locker for the helmet, so how can I make the rest of my 50 mile ride with the extra helmet? I do not have panniers, and do not plan to add them in the near term.

Oh yeah, and to follow-up on the post from Austin a few days ago, it was a beautiful 70F here in Houston today! :) Now if I only had roads that weren't FLAT and STRAIGHT to ride- I'm sure you are supposed to wear more than just the center of these tires :(

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
... without the rider? If I want to keep riding the FZ6 to work, I must drop my daughter at school in the morning. She doesn't have room in her school locker for the helmet, so how can I make the rest of my 50 mile ride with the extra helmet? I do not have panniers, and do not plan to add them in the near term.

Oh yeah, and to follow-up on the post from Austin a few days ago, it was a beautiful 70F here in Houston today! :) Now if I only had roads that weren't FLAT and STRAIGHT to ride- I'm sure you are supposed to wear more than just the center of these tires :(

I use a cargo net to strap the spare helmet down. Its a small net for plastic hooks made to strap cargo to the passenger seat on your bike. It was 10 bux at canadian tire....

2-stroke

Reaction score
Visit site
Joe rocket makes a backpack that holds a helmet may be to hot in TX in MI it wouldn't be a problem. I have heard of the cargo nets scratching the paint on the bike. I have just seen it on a couple of bikes I am looking at buying. Every now and then you come across one that has scraps on the grab handles from the bungees.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
... without the rider? If I want to keep riding the FZ6 to work, I must drop my daughter at school in the morning. She doesn't have room in her school locker for the helmet, so how can I make the rest of my 50 mile ride with the extra helmet? I do not have panniers, and do not plan to add them in the near term....................

I have used a backpack in the past and this worked fine, but my top box is sooo much easier, shame you're not planning to get one.

H

HavBlue

Never did it with the FZ6 as it NEVER has a passenger. I have however done it with the Harley and I use a backpack. The backpack stay flat while the kids are on the bike and when they get dropped off the backpack holds the FF helmet it its protective cloth and I ride off no problem.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I can say from experience that those cargo net things do scratch the hell out of your grab bars. If you are the kind of person who likes to keep their bike pristine I'd recommend going with a backpack.

boliviasi

Reaction score
Visit site
i used cargo nets for my back pack for over 2 years and my bike its really scratched

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Cargo net

I use a cargo net, works great. I have put rubber tubing on the hooks to reduce scratching. So far no problems.

penalty vector

Reaction score
Visit site
The hooks on my cargo net have also messed up the grab bars & now after a year the hooks are breaking. Not a big deal since I only paid about 10 bucks for the net. But am now afraid a hook will break away from home leaving the net unusable.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The hooks on my cargo net have also messed up the grab bars & now after a year the hooks are breaking. Not a big deal since I only paid about 10 bucks for the net. But am now afraid a hook will break away from home leaving the net unusable.
Bin it then mate, if you have lost your confidence in it it has served its purpose. You don't want to be thinking aout that when your doing 80mph and not the truck who is about to switch lanes on you.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
...Now if I only had roads that weren't FLAT and STRAIGHT to ride- I'm sure you are supposed to wear more than just the center of these tires :(

Since you're in Houston, why don't you get a job with an oil company and let them transfer you to the UK? There are loads of 'oil guys' who live in my town and there's even an American school! Sorted.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Whatever you DO NOT just throw it over your elbow and ride with it.

A guy from my town did that and came off. They ended up aputating his arm from the elbow because of the damage the helmet did.

Steve

OregonFZSix

Cold as Ice
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an OGIO tank bag that is big enough to hold an extra helmet and other small things that i normally ride with. works great and most of the time i dont even notice that its there.

steveindenmark

Older Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I made these up at work in the sailing industry and they are totally stainless.

The swr is plaited in a way it takes hell of a job to cut them with wire cutters.

I hope I do not lose the key

Steve

JohnTex

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the help, guys. For now I am using a net, but I bought one with plastic hooks to (hopefully) reduce damage to the grab bars. The backpack idea would work for now (I have used my Tumbuk2 messenger bag a few times), but that sure would get hot in the summer.

The only other option I am still mulling is modifying a helmet bag. My small Cortech sportbike tailbag fits very nicely, and is basically a duffle bag with a rubber pad on the bottom and an X-cross of bungees through it. I can't see where it would be too difficult to get a somewhat nicer (stiffer) helmet bag and add a similar the bungees. Even reinforcing the holes would be easy, and it would fold flat when not needed. If I come up with anything, I'll let y'all know.

Concerning the career change & relocation to England... thanks for the idea, but I already work in the largest refinery & chemical complex in the US! I'm sure I'll take a relocation gig sometome (have already been offered plenty), but I'm going to wait another few years, until the kids leave the nest. Houston has plenty of problems (lack of scenery is a real biggie), but I do like the warm weather here for riding bike & motorcycles year-round.

Jeremiah

Reaction score
Visit site
On my EX250 (just got FZ6 yesterday) I never used the hooks directly on the bike. I would always wrap the hook around something, and hook back onto the net so that the hook wouldn't come in contact with the bike / paint. The only thing on the bike was the bungee part.

JayMc

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey,
I also use the Cargo Net they are great!!!! Very cheap and fit under the saddle I use mine all the time, I drop my girlfriend out to work on my way to work and strap up the helmet with the net and away i go

Best, cheapest kit you can get!!!

denny

Reaction score
Visit site
As above with a picture thrown in for good measure :D

pict4604ab5.jpg