How many rpms...

Brian_N

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have only been riding the fz6 for a few weeks now; I'm really enjoying her.

Anyway she offers a little different style of riding than my last bike and I'm still figuring out what she likes best.

What rpm range do you find yourself riding in when riding in the city? Thanks in advance for the feedback :thumbup:

profilepic21377_1.gif

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
If I'm running from the law about 13 grand. :BLAA:

Around town it's best to keep your rpm up above 5-6K just so you will have some snap to the throttle if you need to do some defensive driving.

Sharp bike!

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have only been riding the fz6 for a few weeks now; I'm really enjoying her.

Anyway she offers a little different style of riding than my last bike and I'm still figuring out what she likes best.

What rpm range do you find yourself riding in when riding in the city? Thanks in advance for the feedback :thumbup:

profilepic21377_1.gif
Welcome to the FZ6 experience,
When you say city do you mean in traffic? I use all the gears and will be anywhere between 30 - 40 mph depending on conditions etc but around 3500 - 4000 rpm. I use plenty of forward observation and try to plan my gaps accordingly. This reduces the need to constantly bog the engine down.

Nelly

Brian_N

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the FZ6 experience,
When you say city do you mean in traffic?
Nelly

Thanks, yes sometimes, but I wasn't thinking of that as much. When on the morning commute in stop & go it's pretty clear where my rpms are going (nowhere). ;)

I was more thinking about in the afternoon and evening when the traffic is lighter and I have a bit more open road.

In city areas with typical speed limits (45/55/65, 70 on the interstate but just on that for a few minutes) do you find yourself out of 2nd/3rd/4th that often?

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
in town i choose the highest gear which still allows me to accelerate and engine brake. If I'm cruising I will just stick it in 5th or 6th, and change down if needed

jjcool

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got mine too and been doing mostly city riding. Ive found that when the speed limit is below 50, I don't usually go above 3rd gear. Might hit 4th if I have a long stretch of 50mph but doesn't happen often. I used to go all the way up to 6th when going 50 but I've found that I don't have any power there. Its also a pain to down shift 5 gears when i hit a quick red light cuz i couldn't gun it past the yellow

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Bout the same here. Oh yeah by the way im still waiting to hear from ya about when we are gonna go ride

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Brian_N

Reaction score
Visit site

fazed_ya

Reaction score
Visit site
Weekends are always best for me especially since we just had a second child 2 weeks ago it me up

Brian_N

Reaction score
Visit site
Weekends are always best for me especially since we just had a second child 2 weeks ago it me up

Sounds good. Friday(s)/Saturday(s) would be better than Sundays for me.

Totally understand the young family thing. We have a 3 year old and a 10 month old-- congrats on the new lil' one! :thumbup:

redoliander

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm usually in 3rd sometimes in 4th in the city at 45-50 mph. Can't say what rpm range that is as I haven't replaced my speedo/tach from my crash 3 years ago. I just have my gps so I know my speed.

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
I guess unlike most people who go by a set plan I personally never think about it. I just drive and just do what feels right. I'm really never sure what gear I'm in I just do what feels right for the circumstances.

Brian_N

Reaction score
Visit site
We just had a hard rain here and the weather cooled off so I went out for a nice ride tonight. While out, I tried all of the recommended rpm/mph combos that I could recall. I came to the conclusion that you're all right! :BLAA: What great fun-- your methods all bring something to the table. Though I feel a bit of multiple personality disorder coming on. ;)

hoston1765

Reaction score
Visit site
I watch the tach while keeping in mind that the alternator does not assure charging until 5 k. If it is a short distance through a village I'll be at 3.5 to 4 k, otherwise the gear that keeps it in the 5 k area is selected. Since I run with the high beam on during the day (advised in the NYS motorcycle manual) It would be a bad idea to run for prolonged periods below 5 k.

FZ09Bandit

�� Paramedic ��
Reaction score
Visit site
Guilty. 9+ near a group of buildings or a overpass..... I am such a squid for loving my Two Bro's.....:Flash::Flash::Flash: