How high is too high?

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at used FZ6 online. Found a few bit one has over 50K for a 07. If it is taken care of, when should mileage be a deal breaker?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the cost and what accessories come with it.

If I were looking at 2 bikes of the same year, one with 50,000 miles for $2,500 and one with 9,000 miles for $4,000 it would be a tough decision but I would probably go with the lower mileage bike even if the price were quite a bit higher because when I buy a bike or car I plan to keep it a long while (6+ years). With the surplus of low mileage bikes available you had better be asking a very reasonable price for a 50,000 miles bike.

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Agree with fizzer6. Depends on the cost and what comes with it. Maintenance records would be a good thing to see, also. Don't give up on searching, maybe expand your area. I went halfway in to a neighboring state to get mine

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
They are asking $2800. What is reasonable for an 07 with 53k mileage?

Well it is May so riding season is just getting into full swing in your area so people are probably trying to price gouge. I can tell you this...in my area (Northern VA, Washington, DC) There were about 10 nice 2007-2008 low mileage (<10K) FZ6's back in Feb-March that were asking $3,000-$4,000.

Personally I think with that kind of mileage and basically stock with no expensive accessories (seat, exhaust, touring bags, etc) I wouldn't pay more than about $2,400 considering what $3,500 could buy you a 10,000 mile 2007 model if you were not afraid to travel across state lines for a deal.

Prices have come up since it's spring but here is an example of the kind of deals on the east coast on these bikes:
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/mcy/3753413017.html
they might take $4,000 for that since these bikes are not highly sought after in the USA.

Just for reference I only paid $5,399 for my 2006 FZ6 BRAND NEW with 1 mile on the odometer.

Last edited:

FX4210

Reaction score
Visit site
If your willing to wait you'll find many more deals in the off season. I got my bike for $2900 in december its an 07 and had 5-6k on it..

The problem I see is that the higher the mileages is the more you are relying not only on yamaha's build quality, but more importantly on the previous owner(s). I'd probably try and push them down closer to 2k and have it inspected before I would buy it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Going to look at this one tomorrow. $2300 firm.

Thoughts?

2004 Yamaha Fz6

Seems pretty solid for $2300 in the beginning of riding season.

The only thing about the 04-05 models is they had a TPS recall. If it is not having problems now it likely has already had this done, otherwise I actually liked the 2004-2005 color scheme more than the 2006+ all black color scheme.

I wouldn't be concerned about that little bit of damage just make sure it tracks straight and true and check the frame with a flashlight for hairline cracks just in case the drop was more than the seller lets on.

Good luck!

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to search the forum for tie down points for the FZ6. This is my first time putting a bike on anything to haul home. It will be a hitch receiver carrier. I'm assuming a four-strap scheme is in order but not sure where is safe to attach to the bike.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried to search the forum for tie down points for the FZ6. This is my first time putting a bike on anything to haul home. It will be a hitch receiver carrier. I'm assuming a four-strap scheme is in order but not sure where is safe to attach to the bike.

when I picked mine up we had it in the bed of a small pickup. I used ratcheting straps and insulated the contact points on the bike with some towels to prevent wear on the 100 mile trip home.

On the front of the bike you will be able to grab the bars through the center and then wrap the strap around the grips (use a rag to insulate, this way the straps can be tied down without the straps contacting the front fairings. On the rear it's easy as you have the frame that supports the tail and rear pegs easy to access.

stfrailey

Reaction score
Visit site
That bike looks like a steal, especially for the season as other's have said. I felt lucky to pick up one for $3250 (granted less miles 10k). As far as I can see from the pics the drop appears to be a legitimate low speed fall nothing more. I love the color scheme. I have the same royal blue, but I would much prefer the silver wheels, swingarm, and engine trim to the black on mine.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't help it!
picture.php

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
With the 19K mile one, ask if the valve clearances have been done... I THINK (dont quote me) that's right about when they should be checked, give or take a few thousand miles.

Just my thought but 50k miles is a lot of miles where neglect that I don't know about could have happened. And alot of sellers will say "sure I changed the oil every 3k miles!" But your taking there word for it.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You know there is a thread where about everyone who bought a FZ6, new or used, from 0 miles to 100,000 miles has posted their price. It would take you several hours to go through it.

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
Going to look at this one tomorrow. $2300 firm.

Thoughts?

2004 Yamaha Fz6

I have the very same bike that I bought 1.5yrs ago with the same miles :BLAA:

Great bike as was already mentioned check if the TPS recall was done. As for valve clearances I think the specified intervals is 24k miles :rockon:

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
*Disclaimer: I've done this only once, but it was successful.

4 straps... sure but probably not necessary. I did this dance last year when I bought mine. My research and seasoned track people told me that only 2 straps are absolutely necessary. Both on front - one each to the lower corner of the bed. They go to something meaty on the triple tree. I clipped on to something right underneath the fairing. Compress the forks a bit, but not too much. (3 inches or so) Handlebars should be avoided because they can bend. No side/center stand. You're trying to set it up so the bikes suspension works with your pickup/trailer.

I also added a strap through and one wrap around the rear tire to the other side.

Good luck with the purchase.

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I picked up some heavy-duty ratchet straps with soft loops. I'll get that onto the tree. Then some regular straps on the back. I'll also take a strap through the wheels to anchor to the carrier. I have a wheel stop but need the bike balanced on the carrier to know where it should go.

This carrier might not ever be used again or I could improve a couple of things.

I'm confident on the weight. The design is more for motocross though with strap contacts in the center. I won't use those but will try to get forward of the strap on the MC.

Circuitrider

Reaction score
Visit site
Well that was one of the dumbest things I've ever done. That hitch hauler was like strapping a hot dog to a toothpick. Thank goodness I just overdid the the straps and by sheer will and redundancy I persevered. It is home safely.

Everything but the oil changes had been done by a shop. He had the records. There is only a couple superficial blemishes. I'm going for some frame sliders and wait a bit to fix things until I've had it for awhile.

Now to search the mods section with more interest.

Thank you for all the help!