How does having comprehensive insurance help

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
On my commute into work today in the morning I passed by an accident scene that involved a motorcyclist so that got me thinking about the reasons for motorbike accidents. So trawling the web I found this article and I have to say it beggars belief how having comprehensive insurance would have helped.

[verbatim from http://www.motorcycledirect.co.uk/news727.php]

Motorcyclists injured in weekend accidents
Two motorcyclists from Lancashire were involved in accidents this weekend during what was a busy period on the region's roads.

Ian Campbell Morris from Wigan, who is described as an experienced motorcyclist, was killed after coming off his bike at a roundabout in Leyland on Saturday.

Police believe the 35-year-old lost control of his Honda CBR 900cc and hit either a lamppost or road sign. They are now appealing for witnesses.

Motorcycle Insurance - Get a quote now!

Just over an hour later, Tanya Blair suffered serious head injuries in Carnforth after falling from her 125cc bike and hitting a tree. As with Mr Campbell Morris' accident, no other vehicles are thought to have been involved.

The 20-year-old was taken to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary where she is said to be in a serious but stable condition.

The incidents highlight the importance of having comprehensive bike insurance cover in place, even for the most experienced of riders.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if Comprehensive Insurance means the same thing on both sides of the Atlantic, but mine covered the cost of the damage when I hit a deer last summer. In the long run I'm still in the hole, but at least I got something out of it. I keep thinking about dropping the comp, now that the bikes value has declined to where it doesn't make much sense, but I'm a little superstitious that I'll get in a wreck as soon as I get rid of the extra coverage. It's one of those things that you'll never need as long as you have it, but as soon as you don't have it, you'll need it.

I'm crazy, I know.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Basic Insurance types...

3rd Party...Covers you for damage you do to others, you pay for the damage to your vehicle. Min legal requirement.
Fire and theft...speaks for itself. Useful if your bike is not on the road.
3rd party + Fire and theft.. combine the above two.

Fully Comprehensive.. Above + damage to your vehicle is covered. If you have any kind of finance on it they will require this.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Liability. If you're at fault, it pays for the other person's stuff.

Comprehensive. If you're at fault, it pays for your stuff.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
In those cases doesn't help the rider, but the families would get the value of the bike.

As already stated comprehensive covers your liability against others (same as third party), plus it covers your vehicle if it is your fault, so if you write your bike off you will get a payout for the bike, less your excess.

For bikes of higher value comprehensive is worth having, for low value bikes then you may be better with TPFT.

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Could they be referring to the medical coverage part of the m/c insurance?

I'm pretty sure that I have some medical coverage through my m/c insurance even if I'm involved in a solo accident. It would help in case of an accident in that it would combine with my regular healthcare to cover medical expenses.

alanrim

Reaction score
Visit site
Could they be referring to the medical coverage part of the m/c insurance?

I'm pretty sure that I have some medical coverage through my m/c insurance even if I'm involved in a solo accident. It would help in case of an accident in that it would combine with my regular healthcare to cover medical expenses.

Not an issue in the UK.

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Here in California:

Liability(required by law) = Pays other people if it's your fault.
Collision(optional) = Pays YOU if it's YOUR fault, or if it's a hit and run and you don't have UMPD coverage.
Comprehensive(optional) = Pays you if your vehicle is stolen, or vandalized.
Uninsured motorist/UMPD(optional, but highly desired) = Pays you if the other drive is uninsured, or if it's a hit and run.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
C&C is the way to go vs. UIM. C&C will pay if you are hit by an UIM, and I found C&C to be less expensive than UIM. Also, if you have health insurance you don't need UIM Med, or Medical through your MC insurance. A major medical plan, with gap coverage is typically less expensive than Medical, so a big MC accident will be the cost of your deductible. Who knew???

ferrariman

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a complete coverage-medical...and this is the breakdown...if there is anyway I could reduce it I would be soo happy to. I pay $520 per annum here at california..AAA

2007 Yamaha FZ6 Total: $520
Guest Passenger $25,000 / $50,000 $21
Bodily Injury Liability $25,000 / $50,000 $21
Property Damage Liability $25,000 $13
Medical Payments No coverage $0
Un/underinsured Motorist Bodily Injury$25,000 / $50,000 $119
Comprehensive $500 deductible $124
Collision $500 deductible $219
Uninsured Motorist Property Damage / Collision Deductible Waiver $500 $3
Custom Equipment and Parts $0 $0
Roadside Assistance Yes $0
Trip Continuation Yes $0
TOTAL FOR 12 MONTHS: $520

Does anyone think having more deductable is better or less is? Did I just go off the topic??? Opps..I am sorry
KB

Last edited:

fragchild

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Florida
Comprehensive protects you from theft/vandalism and pays if you damage someone elses property.
Collision covers your own property.
For Comp. I paid $229 for the year. To add collision it would of cost me $1200 more. Since I own the bike outright I opted for comprehensive only.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
In Illinois, comprehensive is just for damage to your vehicle for causes other than collisions. I also don't have collision because it was going to be over $1000 per year. I do have comp because it was only $37 and covers my bike if it is stolen. I also have liability and UIM because it is required by law.

I look at it as having a $6500 deductable on my coverage. Insururace is always a bet. It is a good value if you have an accident. If you have an accident then collision insurance is a waste of money. The only problem is that you don't know that you will not have an accident. So, my rule with deductables is to set it as high as you can (because it saves money). The deductable should be high enough to get your attention, but not high enough to cause are real hardship.