How do you remove the ignition from the tree?

FAZR6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone tell me how to remove the ignition from the upper tree? I want to take the upper tree off to have it painted and I cant see how the ignition becomes unattached. It looks like it may be pinned or something.

Thanks

1.8tbora

Stealth FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
I was trying to figure that out to, even tried a cut-off wheel to cut a slot in it and use a flat head in my impact and nothing. So I just ended up taping it all up really good and hanging it up by a wire to the garage door track and sanded it and sprayed it satin black. Turned out perfect:rockon:

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
I used an angle grinder to flatten the cone shaped bolts that hold it on. I ground off as much as I could so drilling would be easy. Then just center punch the bolt and drill it with a slightly oversized bit until you have drilled the head completely off. Then you can pull out the ignition, flatten the sides of the remainder of the bolt and get some vise grips on them to take them off.

Pretty easy, Its much easier with a drill press for sure.

killernoodle

Making stuff
Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone tell me how to remove the ignition from the upper tree? I want to take the upper tree off to have it painted and I cant see how the ignition becomes unattached. It looks like it may be pinned or something.

Thanks

Speaking of which, if you want I can do that for you and powdercoat your tree. Just let me know. I can do parts as big as my toaster oven, and I did my tree a few years ago and it still looks great. I may even have a couple spare bolts to re-mount the switch. $50?

Last edited:

FAZR6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I really need to get another service manual since I sold my original when I sold the bike.

So I assume it just disconnects under the tank somewhere easily?

Killernoodle, thanks for the offer but I'm good with just painting it.

FAZR6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can hit the heads around with a hammer and center punch. Thats all I did with mine and they came out fine.

Ok so it sounds like this is a bolt that will screw out if you can get it to turn using a punch and hitting it from the side? Is there 1 main disconnect under the tank?

stink989

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't unplug the lock I just took the triple off and held it in my lap while knocking the bolts out. Here is a photo of one of the bolts to give you an idea of how u did it.

dev_usc

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Can you take some pics and do a HOW TO POST.. It would be great if you could start from taking the TREE off the FORKS and go all the way to removing the IGNITION...:cheer: