How do you open electrical connectors?

CooperFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

I've been doing some work on my bike (new fairing, headlight mod, etc.) and, I've been having a real hard time splitting some of the electrical connectors on the bike. For the fairing, there are at least 6 (2 at the headlights, 2 from the controls and 2 for the turn indicators.

I twisted, squeezed, pulled, pushed, turned, wiggled and yanked and SWORE!

I got them all appart, using a thin screwdriver to displace the hook, or, an awl, but, it was a real PITA! At least with child resistant medicine bottles, I can get my kids to help, but, with the bike, it was brutal. And there are more than 1 type of connector, so, once you've figured one out, it ain't necessarily so on the next.

What's the trick to getting these things apart without damaging them? Is there a special tool?

Thanks

Cooperfz6

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Patience. Sorry I'm not of much help otherwise. Seems like they design these things to be as difficult as possible. After a couple of times they loosen up a bit.

Good luck!

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you have it now. One suggestion I will make is if you have some mechanic's gloves the little screwdriver/awl is less likely to impale you in the process! They are a PITA but if they just fell apart......well that would be bad. :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a handy dandy little set of 4 different pick tools from Snap on and at least one of them always does the trick to get the thing released, but they do click together quite tightly. just take a good luck and find out what you need to release before tugging and you can usually figure it out...