How do i hardened the front suspension

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
i am trying to find a very cheap way to hardened my front suspension. is there any way like changing oil or something ??? def cant afford new suspension now

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
If you just need to change the preload you can add washers under the caps. With the stock progressive springs this will have a slight effect of making the first part of the travel a little stiffer.

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
1st step is going to heavier shock oil and the second is changing the preload. I would recommend changing the oil to something heavier than stock but not all the way and then seeing how it rides. There are several threads on the subject.

airoh69

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok i weight around 90-95kg. I would like to have stiffer suspension cause 1st i hate the compression of the suspension when under heavy breaking and 2nd i like to ride kind of fast so under heavy acceleration after getting out of a corner the suspension opens way too much causing instability on the bike. Also in my country we have lots of bumpy roads so i am looking something to make it a little bit more stiff but not too much so i can ride it on normal day ride.

MrMogensen

... That's me!
Reaction score
Visit site
If you need changes for both heavy braking and acceleration I would suggest you go for a slightly higher oil (like already mentioned) and stiffer springs.

I have this mod and it really does the trick - as good as it gets without doing a complete forkswap (to R6 as some have already done in here).

Springs wasn't that expensive :)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Race Tech springs. Oil won't cut it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

ped

Reaction score
Visit site
15wt oil is too thin as well. You need at least 20wt, with 25wt being most ideal for track riding, filled to about 110-115mm below the top with forks compressed and springs out. As well as 12-25mm of washers on top of the spring to reduce preload. (I like 25mm of spacers and then drop the forks ~12mm past the yoke)

If you do that there is no need to get new springs.....especially new straight rate ones.

Last edited:

iSteve

Reaction score
www.flickr.com
There is so much misinformation about suspension setup on the net it's not funny. Although this thread is just about a guy who wants a little stiffer front end on the cheap. I think anybody before doing setup may want to watch some of the videos from CatalystReactionSBW - YouTube.

Couple good ones to get a idea on what should happen. Remember this is for track but street is about the same but a little bitt softer.

Two Clicks Out- Rebound - YouTube

Setting Sag - Yamaha R6 - YouTube

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about to do the first ever fork oil change on my 2009 Fz6.

Being only 176 lbs i hope i can get away with just an oil change and a bit of shimming to be happy with the front end.

I got some 10Wt Synthetic Motul fork oil, i thought a bit heavier than stock would probably help without being over the top.

Will do the change and report back!