How do I change the ignition?

Jaimeto

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I honestly wish I was more active on this forum but rest assured I lurk it constantly. I recently purchased my first bike in February, a beautiful 06 black fz6 as my first bike. Unfortunately last week before college classes started again, someone stole my baby :((

after much frustration and pain, I got a call from the sheriffs saying they found my bike, after paying to get it back from the tow company its safe to say my baby is in perfect condition (cosmetically) but unfortunately, the lowlife i guess tried to start my bike without the key and it no longer accepts the factory key so i cant turn it on :/

I went ahead and bought a new lock set from another fz6 (ignition, gas tank, and seat lock) my main question being: how hard is it to replace it yourself? from the looks of it, the ignition just looks like you just plug it in really. Can anyone tell me how or direct me somewhere that shows me how to do this? like what I need to take off and what not?

if you know how to start it without the factory key, well, feel free to let me know that too (lol)

Thank you all so much

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
if you know how to start it without the factory key, well, feel free to let me know that too (lol)

You could always ask the guy who took it what he did :BLAA:

Glad to hear you got it back, I'd say it's going to require taking the triple tree apart. I believe that the screws holding the ignition on are security screws, which means they'll be more difficult to remove. You may have to drill them out but I'm not sure since I've not had the pleasure of doing that yet. The trunk lid and seat lock are probably a much easier task (seat lock also uses security screws).

Jaimeto

Reaction score
Visit site
You could always ask the guy who took it what he did :BLAA:

Glad to hear you got it back, I'd say it's going to require taking the triple tree apart. I believe that the screws holding the ignition on are security screws, which means they'll be more difficult to remove. You may have to drill them out but I'm not sure since I've not had the pleasure of doing that yet. The trunk lid and seat lock are probably a much easier task (seat lock also uses security screws).

Thank lawl :) but trust me, If i had the pleasure of asking the guy, I dont think he would have the hands to ever steal a bike again :p :spank:

but thanks for the info, what exactly are security screws? just screws with wierd heads on them? if so, if i were to drill them out would the new ignition slip right in? I'm just very anxious as this was my first thing I ever privately owned ( just a 20 year old college student with a dream of riding) lol

I've never worked on a bike before, so hopefully this little project isn't too bad lol.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank lawl :) but trust me, If i had the pleasure of asking the guy, I dont think he would have the hands to ever steal a bike again :p :spank:

but thanks for the info, what exactly are security screws? just screws with wierd heads on them? if so, if i were to drill them out would the new ignition slip right in? I'm just very anxious as this was my first thing I ever privately owned ( just a 20 year old college student with a dream of riding) lol

I've never worked on a bike before, so hopefully this little project isn't too bad lol.

It'll probably look something like this -

665301923_A2x4M-M.jpg

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re removing the ignition switch assembly.

You have to remove the top triple tree (support the bike under the header). Flip it upside down and drill just the heads off the security screws. Just use a center punch to find the middle and start drilling. *In your case, its not critical as your ignition switch is junk anyway so if you nick it, it doesn't matter...

Once the heads are off, the old switch will slide off what's left(basically studs).
Grab each stud with a vise grip and remove. You can either get Yamaha replacement security bolts or just pick up some SS allan head bolts and re-install.

As for where it plugs into the main harness, likely under the battery tray (I don't know but the ignition harness goes into the frame in that area). Just follow the wires until you find the plug which goes into the main harness, R&R.

Gas tank cap, open cap, three allan head head screws visable up top, ONE screw UNDER the cap(visable with the cap open), simply R&R.

The seat lock, as noted above, also has security special bolts. Once those are removed, simply swap out the mechanism after swapping the cable inner and outer ends. Pull on the inner cable if you want the seat off (you'll need the seat off before you tackle the ignition switch/raise the tank, etc)

Last edited:

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the triple to powder coat it, but here is a how to remove the ign switch. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch.html#post527237

For drilling the security bolts, remove the bars, remove the triple, flip it and use the stanchion tube as a holding fixture. Just tighten the clamp on one side.
47014d1362948636-q-remove-top-triple-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch-pimg_20130309_151550_916.jpg

As stated, remove tank, remove battery, remove air box and then you'll have access to this: The connector to the main harness is under the air box.
picture.php

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I pulled the triple to powder coat it, but here is a how to remove the ign switch. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch.html#post527237

For drilling the security bolts, remove the bars, remove the triple, flip it and use the stanchion tube as a holding fixture. Just tighten the clamp on one side.
47014d1362948636-q-remove-top-triple-can-i-unplug-ignition-switch-pimg_20130309_151550_916.jpg

As stated, remove tank, remove battery, remove air box and then you'll have access to this: The connector to the main harness is under the air box.
picture.php
And that ladies and gentlemen is how its done..........

Nice one Randy.