How cold is too cold for you?

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly, I took my last ride for 2009 today - a beautiful day in Southeast Michigan! About 150 miles - went into North Ohio farm country - was a good time - lots of bikes out, even the Harleys were waiving. Changed the oil this afternoon and will pull the battery tomorrow - fill the tank, cover it and I'm done for the season. I don't like riding below 45F. I have a long, non urban, against traffic commute, great in the Summer, but not so much now!

Somebody commented earlier about ice. I put a foot down at red light a couple of mornings back and felt the beginnings of black ice. That's it for me!

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Sadly, I took my last ride for 2009 today - a beautiful day in Southeast Michigan! About 150 miles - went into North Ohio farm country - was a good time - lots of bikes out, even the Harleys were waiving. Changed the oil this afternoon and will pull the battery tomorrow - fill the tank, cover it and I'm done for the season. I don't like riding below 45F. I have a long, non urban, against traffic commute, great in the Summer, but not so much now!

Somebody commented earlier about ice. I put a foot down at red light a couple of mornings back and felt the beginnings of black ice. That's it for me!

You just need studded tires

..and boots:D

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
if youre not willing to ride in under 40 degree farenheit weather it cuts ur riding season in half in edmonton almost.

my personal cutoff is minus 6 celcius. that is 21 farenheit. as soon as it hits that i make arrangements for 4 wheeled transport.

if it is hovering around it or just above i will make do.

got to love riding with no feeling in ur hands, no grip in ur tires, and no visor to block the wind hitting ur eyeballs.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'M fine riding in the forties here with light gloves and my rocket jacket. But below freezing, I'm out. I've hit black ice as well in a shallow corner and how I didnt lay down the bike is still a mystery. Second scariest moment I've had on a bike.

Scorp

i dodged black ice a few times and still get nervous thinking about what would have happened if i didnt dodge it.

when i graduate and can afford to insure my car i think ill stop the sub-zero riding. just not worth it. its not even enjoyable. its just painful.

unless i get grip warmers.......then you will see me rocket past everything on the roads?

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I generally won't ride if its under 50, coz it gets damned cold when the sun goes down. I've ridden in colder, prolly in the 35-40 range and that was not cool...I usually wind up doing that once or twice a winter just to get the bike out and moving since I don't pack it away. We'll usually get a few 50-60 degree days in the winter so I keep it around to ride then.

copperhd5

Reaction score
Visit site
32 degrees F in conjuction w/rain or snow, I'm done! Icy in spots. We got dusted with a little snow yesterday and today. In garage plugging up battery tenders. Tucking them in under covers.

jsmileybaltz

Member Me?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
We've hit a cold spell here in Nashville last week - I've hit 37F and ready for a little colder if I can find some gloves I like.

S

scenicware

Coldest ride was on my Yamaha Seca 650 in 87. Camping trip in the Anza Borrego desert was around 28 degrees in the morning. Felt better to ride then sit around and be cold in the campground though. Last week we had our local Toys for Tots run from Avila Beach to Creston (Atascadero) area and it was right at 40 degrees inland. For the most part, we can ride year round where we are. (border of Northern and Southern Ca..)

W

wrightme43

17f and it felt like stabbing knives of frozen discontent in my neck. It was very unpleasant.

Skrapiron

Mr. Know-It-All
Reaction score
Visit site
I draw the line at riding when the streets are wet and temps fall below 35*. Too many chances for black ice in those conditions. Other than that, if the streets are clear and dry, I prefer to ride rather than cage it.... The coldest I've ridden was 9*, but it was sunny and there was no snow.....

Good gear makes all the difference.

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden in 26 degrees and it was not too much of a problem. I have good gear. And that was the temperature reported at Bush Intercontinental Airport Houston as I was leaving work at 7 in the morning. That's where I work.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
Due to the 30deg F and 15-20mph winds up here in NH, it was a cold ride but it was clear and in the sun so it was all good. I had my heated jacket liner but no heated gloves.

I took out the cruiser for about 85 miles on the highway and the FZ6 for maybe 30 miles on the 60mph highway. When I put the FZ6 back in the garage, the bar ends were very cold to the touch so I had to use my gloves.

Even at the gas station, I removed my glove to pump gas and my hand got really cold. I think it's time to break out the heated gloves.

Still felt good :D.

If there's little to no wind, 15F is ok with heated jacket. On the FZ6, my feet get cold -- I almost sold my heated socks last year due to no use and maybe I should use them this year. I didn't need them on the cruiser.

I tend to survey the roads while in the car on the way home before going out riding esp. at night but, in the day, you can at least see bad spots to avoid. It was pretty dry and I stayed on the major roadways so it was all good.

Daytime riding in the cold is better too because if you break down, folks can see you and things are open and people are awake to less inconveniently pick you up.

Dennis

AutoXer

Reaction score
Visit site
No problem 34 and above since I'm only 11 miles from work - a fleece neck warmer and 3-season gloves along with my mesh jacket with an Olympia day-glo safety vest over it are fine (keep in mind I am, uh, "well insulated"). I have a one-piece snowmobile suit that I used for a 20+ mile ride to the dealer for new tires & mounting in February one year, it was 22 degrees. No problem in the suit (the other riders who came in that day were hurtin', though!).

jZ

Guitar Man

Keep moving!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
One of the things about riding in the cold is that the bike seems to have an extra 5 to 10 hp because of the colder denser air. Makes the throttle response really crisp. Personally I thing you're missing out on the experience. But that's just me.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Too cold doesn't exist... the limiting factor is SNOW, especially in our neck of the woods... If it's not white out, RIDE! Good leather jacket/gloves and heavy pants are perfect. I've ridden last year around 18-21 degrees and it was chilly but fun. DAMN SNOW!!!

mithraen

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm with Smittyboy there.
Yesterday I rode with -6'C (21'F) and it was great. Granted, I had full gear and loads of layers. Today it's slightly warmer but I had to take the train on account of snow. Snow and Ice = no bike for me.