How cold is too cold for you?

fz6Soldier

Reaction score
Visit site
I live in Michigan and the coldest I rode so far in was 37 degrees. I recently bought some thermals to wear under my pants and some good winter gloves. I'm trying to find my limitation. Of course I won't be riding when there is snow and Ice on the ground.

My brother lives in Ohio and he rides all year round. But he has a VSTROM which blocks more wind and also has heated grips and all kinds of cold weather gear.

I just wanted to see what everyones limits are.

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
I used to drive my suzuki sierra (samuari) in the snow with the top down and the windscreen down. about -3 c. Back when i liveed in the aussie alps, now i live in the desert.

its never to cold i say, you can always keep warm. It gets hot here and all you can do i try to keep in the shade.

You can only get so naked.

a_sick1

2004 FZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
It can't be too cold since i don't have a running car right now.
The coldest I've rode it was about 28 degrees and snowing.
I did not enjoy that ride.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
32* F, or 0* C. If it's cold enough for water to freeze, then its cold enough for black ice. I've hit it once, and swore I would never ride in below freezing temps again.

goker

------------
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Few degrees above freezing for me as well. I don't like the possibility of having ice on the road either.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I once met a guy who said his age is his riding limit. He was 60 so he didn't ride in weather below 60 degrees. Usually my limit is 45 for a short ride and 55 for a long ride but you have to be careful because it cools down fast when the sun goes down.

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
being from Socal coldest I have ridden was 55 and i probably could do 50 or so but thats about it.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I try to stay off the roads if the temperature drops below 40 degrees F. With proper clothing, I'm sure I could ride in colder weather but it just isn't any fun.

+1 on the black ice comment. That stuff is dangerous enough in a cage, I sure as hell don't want to experience it while on a motorcycle.

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Off to work this morning @ 30, very cold but oh well. I'm waiting for this week ends warming trend near 50 !

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have ridden in 25*F it wasnt very fun but it was a short distance.

I was ridding up pikes peak the one day and it started snowing so bad the whole road was covered. I dont know what the temp was but that was really cold. The snow was actually building up on the tank of the bike.

spidersden

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it was 28 degrees (F) when I rode to work this morning. I'm usually good to the low 20's without much trouble. I don't joy-ride anywhere near as much when it's that cold, but I still enjoy my morning commute. I won't ride when it's cold AND raining. I can handle the cold, and I can handle the rain, but not at the same time.

I keep the bike parked in the garage at work if there's snow on the road, or an excessive amount of salt. Don't want to risk breaking the plastics :thumbup:

Willard

Reaction score
Visit site
Up here in Nova Scotia riding season goes from late March to late November, sometimes into December. Anything above freezing is good provided that there is no salt on the roads.

Dennis in NH

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't have my heated jacket liner for almost 3 weeks and riding the FZ6 in 40F was cold. I have my liner back and I went to work in 40F and it was nice.

I could probably easily do 30s but we'll see; this is my FZ6's first Winter with me as rider (plus, I got the pinlock system with antifog shield and that helps).

On my cruiser with heated jacket liner and gloves and good touring pants, I felt that 25F during Winter was very reasonable. I've never done anything below 15F. I did ride during a good negative windchill on a sunny day (and stopped in a Harley store); an hour or so later the windchill went back to 20s and I was good to go -- the sun really helps esp. if you wear black.

If you don't have heated gear, if you exercise a little before suiting up, you can use the heat to stay warm.

Dennis

zmeiaspas

The tall one
Reaction score
Visit site
So far the coldest I've ridden in is 34-35 degrees but I think I can hit the mid twenties with a pair of thicker socks. For anything below that I'll need some more clothing everywhere.

danfree

Reaction score
Visit site
Here in Florida the Winter days may start out cold, but can warm up +20 degF by afternoon. Luckily that equates riding all year. However, I have noticed when the temp is below about 36 degF, I cannot keep my faceshield from fogging up. So that is pretty much my limit. Plus I won't ride when there is ice on the road. But that is extremely rare in Tallahassee during the day.

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've ridden in the lower 20's and i'm telling you your tires don't stick to the pavement very well at all !!!