Winter Riding Techniques

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats on making it back safely! What do the folks at work think? Anyone offer you a ride (drive)?

It may snow here in Portland later this week. Hmm...

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

upgrade idol status to demi-god. I love that you took out your enduro afterward. Did you check out the how-to studded tire youtube or the store link where they make them?

I had a neighbor that as soon as it snowed growing up he would take out his dirt bike and drift or his quad and do mutiple 360s flying down the road. I think his record was 3 or maybe 4. All you would see is this pirouetting spray of snow going up down the road.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Pleased to hear you made it back safely Kenny :thumbup:

If you're not going to become a cager I think you need one of these AWD bikes for the winter.

2013-AWD-300-Side.jpg

Maybe you can offer your services by testing them :rockon:

Last edited:

Azrael

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Just wow. People give me weird looks when I still ride my bike now, but I can't imagine what their expression must be like when you pull up next to them. I vote for you to record this using a GoPro or something and making a montage of their startled and/or horrified expressions. Please please say you'll do this!

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow. Just wow. People give me weird looks when I still ride my bike now, but I can't imagine what their expression must be like when you pull up next to them. I vote for you to record this using a GoPro or something and making a montage of their startled and/or horrified expressions. Please please say you'll do this!

I second this, I'd almost be willing to send you my Contour +2 as well just to get an idea of speed and elevation chnage as well.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
But motorcycles has as much right as a vehicle, and I'm just making it clear to everyone Look Twice, for Motorcyclist even in the snow.

When I read that I thought thats something TCmalker would say..:D

The only thing clear to people when they see you rolling around town on your 'sportbike' in the snow is your insanity. Sometimes people need to hear the truth...sorry Kenny...:Flip:

ps..get a friggen beater you madman

Last edited:

why_not_Zoidberg?

Reaction score
Visit site
But motorcycles has as much right as a vehicle, and I'm just making it clear to everyone Look Twice, for Motorcyclist even in the snow.

When I read that I thought thats something TCmalker would say..:D

The only thing clear to people when they see you rolling around town on your 'sportbike' in the snow in your insanity. Sometimes people need to hear the truth...sorry Kenny...:Flip:

ps..get a friggen beater you madman

And I didn't think anyone was actually crazy enough to ride in the snow...dang! I draw the line at 50 F ! Then it's Suby fun time!

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday was complaining about cold tire in the winter so a fellow employee sent me a couple of photos of a fella on the ADV board that rides his Honda CBR600RR all year round. Not too bad but he is in ALASKA! So am going to have to say you are way ahead of me but I think #2 for hard core winter riders. :)

In the photos he had what looked like knobby street tires on the CBR - and it was parked in the snow next to a snowbank. I need to try and find those pics.

Be safe I want to continue to hear stories of riding in the snow.

Lefty

Quis, mihi fatigo?
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Winter Riding Techniques

1. Move to California

2. See #1

:BLAA:

Kenny, you're either insane or the biggest stud I've ever met. :eek:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Kenny I think I found your distant cousin.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYpgEOA9LWU]Clymer Manuals Sjaak Yamaha R1 Polar Ice Ride Motorcycle Adventure Video #1 Intro - YouTube[/ame]

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know why he took the R1, even though he may be familar with the bike, an R1 just does not have that good of fuel range. Why would you want to add more weight and take away precious space by bringing that much extra fuel.

By the way, I could do that. Doesn't look too difficult.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Too amazing!! Makes me want to atleast pick up a dirtbike since I miss having a RWD car for the snow (pulling an e-brake just doesn't cut it)

I went as low as 30F on my Ninja before I put it away for the winter. Of course no super special cold gear here, just cargo pants, riding jacket, full gloves with long gauntlets and one of those skee masks underneath my helmet (though I didn't have the mask when I was riding that 30ish night).