How are my tires? (Bonus topless pic!)

Guit4rcher

Reaction score
Visit site
Today I changed the oil+filter, did a coolant flush/replacement, and changed the air filter. The oil was blacker than Satan's arse hole and smelled extra burnt. Coolant was low and the reservoir was borderline dry. No leaks though. Put in premium (93 octane) instead of the regular(87) gasoline that was in there. On the ride home I found she drove much smoother and happier. Always pamper your woman.:D

That said, I know zip about motorcycle tires so I thought I'd get some experienced opinions before I go on a ride tonight(way hot here in south Texas). I do plan on replacing them in a month or so.

I noticed some cracking inside one of the treads on the front tire and I'm not sure how deep they should be. I also notice that the tires feel straight on the very center line, but the treads are a bit lower on the outside and it feels as if there's a bulge outward as my hand approaches the center line. This seems to be consistent throughout the tire. She rides fine in town and on the freeway yesterday she was just fine up to about 95mph. Haven't taken the bike beyond that yet as I don't want to endanger myself/others doing those speeds with a somewhat unfamiliar ride with traffic.

Thanks!

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
I read topless, but i see seatless ;)
Anyway, I'm no expert, but change the tires in next 500 miles or by end of july, which ever comes first.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When it comes to tires on a motorcycle, age is a very important factor regardless of how much tread life you have remaining. Rubber tends to lose it's grip/shelf life after a few years. Since traction is critical every time you lean your bike over in order to corner properly, you must have good tires. Obviously 5-8 year old tires on a car is no issue since you have four of them.

Most tires will have a date stamp on the side of the tire to indicate the week and year it was manufactured. It's a four digit code. For example, it could be 4012, meaning it was manufactured on the 40th week in the year 2012. Can you find something like that on the side of your tire?

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at the date code in the right of the picture. the fist 2 digits are the week of the year. In this case the 35th week. The second 2 digits are year. In this example 05 or 2005. This is when the tire was manufactured.

There is not really a magic number but I've heard numbers like 6 years and you should get new ones. Check your date stamp! :)

Also get the same tire designation. It will make a difference if you mix tires that have different profiles that don't work well with each other.

DOT+number+on+sidewall+with+labels.jpg

Last edited:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Yamaha calls for regular in the FZ6, even my 145 hp FJR runs on regular. Premium won't make the bike run any better and actually can result in a loss of performance. Higher octane is for anti knock not more power.
Save your gas money for new tires ;)

Guit4rcher

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys, it's a massive help! I never knew that about tires/rubber.

I ended up riding another 75 or so miles last night just to cruise around and then raced the lightning back home. Crashed out cold when I got back so sorry for the lack of reply. Now it's raining.

Yamaha calls for regular in the FZ6, even my 145 hp FJR runs on regular. Premium won't make the bike run any better and actually can result in a loss of performance. Higher octane is for anti knock not more power.
Save your gas money for new tires ;)

Thanks, though I'm aware. I just wanted to run a tank of prem through to help clean her out as it was my first refill on a new bike. With the oil looking like it hadn't been changed at the recommended mileages and the coolant probably never changed in it's 21k mile lifespan, I figured I might as well give her the spa treatment.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Today I changed the oil+filter, did a coolant flush/replacement, and changed the air filter. The oil was blacker than Satan's arse hole and smelled extra burnt. Coolant was low and the reservoir was borderline dry. No leaks though. Put in premium (93 octane) instead of the regular(87) gasoline that was in there. On the ride home I found she drove much smoother and happier. Always pamper your woman.:D

That said, I know zip about motorcycle tires so I thought I'd get some experienced opinions before I go on a ride tonight(way hot here in south Texas). I do plan on replacing them in a month or so.

I noticed some cracking inside one of the treads on the front tire and I'm not sure how deep they should be. I also notice that the tires feel straight on the very center line, but the treads are a bit lower on the outside and it feels as if there's a bulge outward as my hand approaches the center line. This seems to be consistent throughout the tire. She rides fine in town and on the freeway yesterday she was just fine up to about 95mph. Haven't taken the bike beyond that yet as I don't want to endanger myself/others doing those speeds with a somewhat unfamiliar ride with traffic.

Thanks!

The cracking is dry-rot and a CLEAR sign that the tires are too old. So if I am right, they need to be replaced ASAP. There are no good reasons to ride on a tire that shows ANY sign that is compromised.

Don't take chances. You need to have absolute trust in the tires.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The cracking is dry-rot and a CLEAR sign that the tires are too old. So if I am right, they need to be replaced ASAP. There are no good reasons to ride on a tire that shows ANY sign that is compromised.

I totally agree with this. You can loose a chunk of tread on a car but it's a different story on 2 wheels. Get new rubber now.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Guit4rcher

Reaction score
Visit site

That's what I needed to hear. Looks like I'll be keeping her covered for a couple of weeks. Thank you for your input.

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I also notice that the tires feel straight on the very center line, but the treads are a bit lower on the outside and it feels as if there's a bulge outward as my hand approaches the center line. This seems to be consistent throughout the tire.

That bulge you mention happens because your tires are what's called "dual compound." This means the center of the tread has a slightly harder rubber that is meant to last more miles until needing to be replaced. The sides are softer rubber because you want better grip when cornering. However, as the tire wears, you get that ridge in the center, especially if they're running at lower pressure. This ridge does not give you good handling. It will feel like the bike is reluctant to "turn in" and then it almost falls in. You will be very happy at the feel when you go into a corner when you get new tires on. :thumbup:

Chris