Holy silver headers, Batman!

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, so I may have the first poster wrong, but want to give props to OneTrack for first bringing Autosol to my attention. :bow: (If I am wrong, please let me know because as of right now, my firstborn's birth certificate will read "OneTrack Autosol Scorpio")

Twenty minutes with Autosol from Amazon ($20.00 for two tubes shipped), 0000 steel wool (unlisted on the website, but indeed found at Home Depot) and for the first time, my headers are actually silver. A pic is attached, sorry for the quality, its an iphone. I probably could have gotten them even shinier, but for 20 minutes, who the hell cares.

Also, finally got the T-Rex sliders in. Was a little concerned about the bolt length (90MM) due to an earlier poster, but they went in nicely and are torqued to spec with a little blue locktite for added security.

Once again, want to say how great this site is and how much I appreciate the brotherly help that's always provided. Keep it up!

Scorp

P.S. I hear there is still a very nice RF-1000 for sale. :sinister:<----Shameless Plug

D-Mac

Distance Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've really gotta do this. Mine have gone from silver - to gold - to a brownish, hazy, milky color that looks like they're covered in road salt. Too much rain on my last trip I think.

I'm putting another 3000 miles on the bike next week. I can only imagine how bad they'll look when I get home.

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
Every bike shop in Halifax sells that stuff. For good reason too. It kicks a$$. did I mention it is cheap. I shine every piece of metal in the house with it. I like a shiny sink...

Yamaspeed

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have to see if that stuff is available here, I have been toying with the idea of removing the headers and having them chromed. If any headers need a good overhaul it's these ones!

IMG_4897.jpg

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Andz,

I'd definitely check this link before as a cheap alternative to chrome. Worth a shot.

And I want to keep the stainless because I like the blue hue at the top. Matches the Cobalt Blue and adds at least 50 HP to the already faster blue FZ.:steve:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Autosol-Classic-Metal-Polish-Paste/dp/B0019FE21I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1247887134&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Autosol 3.33 Oz Classic Metal Polish Paste: Everything Else[/ame]

Scorp

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey! I can see you taking the picture in the reflection of the headers!

Cliff

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great! But it took you so long to get them blued to match the bike?!?! :eek: ;)

Nice work! :thumbup:

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
hehe i went ahead and polished mine too. i used a coarser steel wool so its got a brushed look. OP i dont know how you did it so well cuz i still cant get some marks off.:confused: but it still looks way better than the old dirty bronze color.:D

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Remember, I only had about 2K on them, so my results are more the routine maintenance type.

Though I wish I had included a before pic, because after some raining riding on hot pipes, I had spots like you wouldn't believe. Those are what I was looking to remove, and a little elbow grease with the Autosol and wool took em off fairly quickly.

There was only slight rust coloration, not as bad as some of you have shown here. But I had never seen em silver, so that was where the surprise was for me.

I am planning on doing the same routine every couple k, just to see if I can maintain the look without having to spend hours on them every time.

Scorp

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Total I used probably two quarter sized blobs. But after the second, the wool itself had a lot on it, so I would just use the pad and the buff with a microfiber cloth afterwards.

I bought two tubes just to save on shipping, but I have barely used the first tube.

I used Tutle Wax Polish, Mother's (regular and Billet) as well as that BLue stuff at Autozone. While all polished the metal reasonably well with the 0000 wool, none of those were able to remove the spots easily. Autosol did, and with little effort. Just buff and enjoy after that. So in my opinion, I will continue to use Autosol.

Again, different people and pipes, different preferences and success. That combination was just the only one to work for me. And no, they were not as bad as those pics in the other post, but it was the spotting that drove me nuts

Scorp

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hollyyyyy silver indeed...I just ordered mine. Thanks for the post.
Static,

Your pic reminds me of the old Counter Strike Source days. Everyone had that as their spray. Man, I miss the gun game server on Up in Smoke! and my knife sound.

Ah, to be twenty again...