HJC IS-16 helmet?

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, i am presently helping my partner to shop for a new helmet, and at the moment, the one that seems to fit the best, and ticks a few other box's, in terms of desirability, is the HJC IS-16.

http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_is16.htm

Jess, my partner likes the look of the helmet, likes the flip down sun shade, inside of the normal clear visor, and the ease in getting the helmet on, and off again.

Was just wondering whether anyone else around here has a HJC IS-16 helmet, and what pro's and con's, there are with this helmet???

Any feedback, good, or bad, would be appreciated.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

The Dude

abides
Reaction score
Visit site
I have the IS-16 in solid white and it's great. The internal sunshade isn't real dark, but it works fine for me. I've never had to use a tinted visor or sunglasses. I spend a lot of time riding in the hills and it's nice to be able to quickly flip the sunshade up when going into dark wooded areas. I wear glasses and they fit fine inside the helmet. It comes with a chin spoiler, which I haven't used much, but is nice in cooler weather. I ride with earplugs, so can't really comment on noise.

Regarding the colors, the solid white was a big selling point for me. With a black bike and grey/white jacket, I wanted a white helmet to pop against dark backgrounds. With the dark bike and light gear, I figure something is going to contrast with any background. Solid white or yellow (or orange if you want to be really loud) provide the best visibility.

UHcougarJohn

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the IS 16 Scratch - Blue, it is the same helmet with as the IS 16 but it has graphics. For the money it is a solid helmet.

One thing that I am having to get used to is the one click up from closed visor position. It seems kind of high, I wish it was a little lower.

Other than that so far no complaints.

Cloned

Tiger Trainer
Reaction score
Visit site
One con is that the IS-16 is not Snell certified. The internal flip down shades create a cavity in the shell where the shades recess into, therefore compromising the integrity of the forehead area.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
One con is that the IS-16 is not Snell certified. The internal flip down shades create a cavity in the shell where the shades recess into, therefore compromising the integrity of the forehead area.

Yes, i did a bit of research last night, and noticed that on the Sharp safety helmet rating, it only got a 2 out 5....

:eek:

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike's looking for a new lid at the moment - I think it'll be between Shark and Shoei. He's not had a Shark before.

He did mention HJC yesterday, but maybe after this rating, he might change his mind.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Mike's looking for a new lid at the moment - I think it'll be between Shark and Shoei. He's not had a Shark before.

He did mention HJC yesterday, but maybe after this rating, he might change his mind.

We were actually looking for flip up helmets...i am keen on the Shark Evoline 2....very nice indeed...is that what Mike is looking at?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Last time I checked (he does change his mind more than his underwear :eek:) it was a Shark RSR2 or Shoei X12 (he has X11 now) or Shoei RF-1100 (I have RF-1000)

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Must be helmet time , Humpy is looking for a new helmet aswell :thumbup: Be on the look out in your local store for a Shark RSI RdP just like this one :D
Casque_Shark_RSI_Randy_De_Puniet_Replica_stpz.jpg
having trouble finding on in QLD & helmet warehouse dont stock Shark helmets :(

tnfrosty

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased an IS-16 about 2 months ago and have been very pleased with the function and comfort. I agree with The Dude about the internal visor not being dark enough, but New Enough has dark smoke replacement visors- I bought one and it's just about right. Haven't had the chance to use in cold weather, but there may be some fogging issues using dual visors. It's great in the summer though, as I usually leave the main visor up (internal visor all the way down) if I'm doing less than 45, which is what most of my commute is to work. Here's some decent reviews on the Tube:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqdqhfXml2k]YouTube - The Helmet Harbor Talks About HJC IS 16[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui5E04nwxtw]YouTube - The Helmet Center HJC IS-16 Helmet Review - TheHelmetCenter.com[/ame]

herbis

Captain Awesome
Reaction score
Visit site
Have a Silver HJC IS-16 with the black/blue gothic graphics as a 2nd helmet & it seems to be a really nicely finished quality looking helmet as it should be at about $600 NZ, I was aware of the spark rating when purchased but did like the internal visor as safety feature as well as appearance as you can wear glasses behind it, it does work well & looks a bit top gun but would be nice if it came down a little more, I find it a little noisy compared to my arai quantam replica & it gets my ears a bit when take it off but by no means the worst that I have tried, nice & stable to ride with. My arai cost well over a grand & is used by racers worldwide & only gets a spark 3 when some under $200 dollar helmets rate better but feel like junk when you put them on. go figure. They do seem to well in reviews & you would hope a big company like HJC wouldn't make a sub-standard helmet.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Flip up helmet....Are you thinking uf joining the ULYSSES ? :D

No, but i was thinking that a flip up helmet might be a good thing in Tassie, early next year, so i can flip it up at any moment and scream abuse re Rossi at Kazza, without a moments notice, and be heard!!!

Or, as i am touring with a couple of blokes that will be riding Armchairs, that are more suited to Ulysses members, i might need a flip -up helmet "to fit in" with the crowd!

:Flip:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased an IS-16 about 2 months ago and have been very pleased with the function and comfort. I agree with The Dude about the internal visor not being dark enough, but New Enough has dark smoke replacement visors- I bought one and it's just about right. Haven't had the chance to use in cold weather, but there may be some fogging issues using dual visors. It's great in the summer though, as I usually leave the main visor up (internal visor all the way down) if I'm doing less than 45, which is what most of my commute is to work. Here's some decent reviews on the Tube:

YouTube - The Helmet Harbor Talks About HJC IS 16

YouTube - The Helmet Center HJC IS-16 Helmet Review - TheHelmetCenter.com

I watched all these reviews last night, and was sorta impressed, and it seems that from a few reports in this thread, that this could be a logical choice for my Girlfriend...

paper

Multibike disorder..
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got a couple of the FS-15's, one in fiberglass and one in carbon fiber.. Both are great lids and it wouldn't hurt to consider them when helmet shopping..

As far as flip-ups.. Remember that that chin section is not strong at all, and the helmet is basically a slightly beefed up 3/4 helmet.. I had a HJC flip that dropped off the seat of my bike and the chin section broke OFF.. That's without the weight of a head inside, and from about 34" off the ground, as it rolled off my seat.. I was competing in a 24 hour road rally, and was 6 hours from home.. Ended up duct taping the helmet together for the rest of the rally, since I wasn't buying a new helmet on the morning of a 24 hour rally, and I had a couple helmets at home.

I ended up using the busted flip helmet for target practice the following weekend. Oddly enough, it held up to 12 gauge shot, 9mm and .45 shooting, .223 shooting and even the monster .380 rounds (yeah, I'm kidding about the monster part) and was still together pretty well until we drove over it with a truck.

I won't be buying a flip up helmet, ever again..

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use an IS-16 Scratch, and love it. The sun visor does seem to stay a little high in the fully 'down' position, but I think that has a lot to do with the FZ6s' upright riding position. Would be less of an issue when 'tucked in'. I don't wear earplugs unless riding longer (3+ hour) distances, and find the helmet pretty quiet. It does let in some noise, but not a tonne. I ride with this helmet in fog, and colder shoreline weather, and have treated it only once with Scott anti-fog cleaner with no subsequent fogging problems. The venting system is better than my last helmet (HJC CL-SP Barbwire), keeping my head nice and cool, and it has an integrated breath deflector. The visor locks down when your really going for it, so no problems with it flipping up. The chin skirt is nice for cooler weather, fine road debris, and bugs - it filters all of that, keeping the outside...well...outside :D

All in all IMO the IS-16 is a nice helmet, and I would buy it again.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use an IS-16 Scratch, and love it. The sun visor does seem to stay a little high in the fully 'down' position, but I think that has a lot to do with the FZ6s' upright riding position. Would be less of an issue when 'tucked in'. I don't wear earplugs unless riding longer (3+ hour) distances, and find the helmet pretty quiet. It does let in some noise, but not a tonne. I ride with this helmet in fog, and colder shoreline weather, and have treated it only once with Scott anti-fog cleaner with no subsequent fogging problems. The venting system is better than my last helmet (HJC CL-SP Barbwire), keeping my head nice and cool, and it has an integrated breath deflector. The visor locks down when your really going for it, so no problems with it flipping up. The chin skirt is nice for cooler weather, fine road debris, and bugs - it filters all of that, keeping the outside...well...outside :D

All in all IMO the IS-16 is a nice helmet, and I would buy it again.

Cheers for the input....we still have not bought a new helmet for my partner as yet...but the IS-16 is still no.1 on our list.

That review helped.

Cheers.